Options

Career advise

Dinesh90Dinesh90 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm in bit of a dilemma.

I was hired at my current company as a Helpdesk/Desktop support technician. However, due to a recent out sourcing, I was transferred over to a different department as a PLM analyst support.

Now I'm not really feeling my new role. I recently went on a interviewed and was offer the position as a Desktop Support technician.

I went to give my current manager my two week notice and he wants me to stay. He offered more money and a option to pay for school/classes to help me succeed in my currently role.

I do like the company I work for and I'm currently full time. the new position I was offered is a 3 months contract to hire.

I just don't know what to do, any advise was be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whats a PLM? You have to give some information as to what responsibilities this PLM role has vs the helpdesk role. Usually though anything above helpdesk is better.
  • Options
    prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Whats a PLM? You have to give some information as to what responsibilities this PLM role has vs the helpdesk role. Usually though anything above helpdesk is better.

Man aint that the truth!!!
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Whats a PLM?

My guess is product lifecycle management

Personally, I don't think I'd leave a full-time job for a 3 month contract to hire, since after that 3 months you could be unemployed. That's just me. Sometimes it works out though. I started at my current employer as a month to month contract. I almost didn't take it, but not only did I wind up getting hired, I'm here about 12 years now. The difference being I didn't have a job at the time.

The thing is, if you're miserable, then maybe it's for the best. Are there any other opportunities at your current employer that you think may be available down the road?
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldnt take a 3 month contract job either. If he has a full time job, i'd keep looking until i find a full time job to go to, not answer to the first call for a job.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    But it is contract to hire...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Dinesh90Dinesh90 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PLM = product lifecycle management.
    Responsibilities: Helping end user with PLM software (centricicon_cool.gif. Training, creating instruction guides.
    Ensuring server are up and work with Sysadmin team and PLM software vendor resolved any backend issues
    salary 62,500k

If I stay; they will pay for Udacity nanodegree intro to programing and give me 2 days out of the week to work on it.
    Why programming? because a lot of software we have are built in house and this will allow me to be more productive and contribute to the team/business.

Contract to hire job: Executive support mostly OS X.
    Salary 65 for the first 3 months then after the 3 months another offer will be given but it will not be below what I'm currently making (65K) but it could also remain at 65K.

If I stay with my current job and learn about programming at their expense, it's something I will have with me for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typical advice here is to never accept a counter but I'm not sure I'd leave a full time gig for a short contract. I just wanted to point out that you can learn programming free or cheap on your own but the two days a week dedicated would be really cool.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Any backup plans if the company doesn't hire you full time? happens all the time. Also, nothing say you can't accept the pay raise and still look around. Do a pro and cons list.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Now your job knows you are looking elsewhere. Not good (even though they countered)..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    GmvProjectGmvProject Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you please expand on the "Typical advice here is to never accept a counter"?

I'm gonna try to look for other job opportunities because of how much I'm being paid on my current job.
    My initial goal is to look for something I like that will get my the right amount of $ for the stuff that I do.
    My main goal tho is to get my current company to match/counter a job that I would like to take.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Executive Support is sort of a pigeon-hole imo vs traditional support.

You aren't supporting every user dept with their own needs and business goals, you arent supporting a wide range of software and hardware issues or server/network issues.

In executive support, you will spend your day explaining to a 60yr old dude how to set up skype etc. Thankless and undermining.

Pay is usually a little better than most support roles though. Some people may seem the high level of responsibility as good experience, but when your experience is mostly fixing a teleconference unit with 20 people on both sides of the screen, theres added stress without much more benefit.

exec support =/> exec admin or engineer if you know what I mean.

btw, where do you live, those salaries are nice and fat.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never take the counter-offer. Just don't do it. You made the choice to give the notice so stick by it. Sometimes they panic because they know they can't replace you in 2 weeks and that it will cost them more to bring someone else on, hence the counter-offer.

Like Cisco Inferno said above, OS X support for executives is going to be mind numbingly boring. I'd take that job since you have no other choice though, and then start aggressively looking for another opportunity.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From what I've been told over the years, they say when someone accepts a counter offer, they wind up leaving within a year anyway.

I think this is dependent on why the person was looking in the first place. If they hate going to work, then yeah a little extra money will only last so long.

Contract-to-hire, at the end of the day, is still a contract position, with no guarantee for employment. Some (not all) recruiters say contract-to-hire, when they know darn well, it will always be a contract position. I would have kept looking, now you're in an awkward position. If you take the money and the training but you're still miserable, what's the point?

If there are other opportunities with your current employer that you can see yourself being interested in down the road, maybe discuss putting an action plan together to help get you there.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dinesh90 wrote: »
    I do like the company I work for and I'm currently full time. the new position I was offered is a 3 months contract to hire.

Statistically only 27% of contract to hire positions work out. Those are not good odds. Do you feel you have sufficient help desk experience to get another job without too much trouble if things do not work out?

Personally I'd pass on the contract gig, suck it up and make the best of your current position. If your still not happy look for another help desk role that's a full time gig.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Stay at the current company. They are training you. That's priceless.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Help desk with a single customer is still help desk and it's contract (contract to hire = contract). Stay where you are and do the studying you want.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dinesh90 wrote: »
    PLM = product lifecycle management.
    Responsibilities: Helping end user with PLM software (centricicon_cool.gif. Training, creating instruction guides.
    Ensuring server are up and work with Sysadmin team and PLM software vendor resolved any backend issues
    salary 62,500k

If I stay; they will pay for Udacity nanodegree intro to programing and give me 2 days out of the week to work on it.
    Why programming? because a lot of software we have are built in house and this will allow me to be more productive and contribute to the team/business.

Contract to hire job: Executive support mostly OS X.
    Salary 65 for the first 3 months then after the 3 months another offer will be given but it will not be below what I'm currently making (65K) but it could also remain at 65K.

If I stay with my current job and learn about programming at their expense, it's something I will have with me for the rest of my life.

It looks like a nice counter, there is nothing wrong with taking the counter in this situation, especially since you must have talked with your manager about your reasons for wanting to leave. Take the opportunity to gain the experience and apply some of the knowledge from the nano degree. Ultimately, being able to apply your knowledge directly while you are going through the short program will be instrumental to retaining it.

You wanted to leave because you feel out of place in the role you were reassigned to, if you like the company and the people you are working with, why not stick it out for a bit.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have said, contracts are not set in stone. You might be there 3 weeks and let go because they are changing their plan. Seen it many times as a FT employee, watching people you just start to know, get thrown out. Not always the case but can very easily happen. I was unemployed and took a 2 month contract job, 6 months later I was hired FT. Not the job I want but yes it worked out.
    Anyway if you are strapped to bills, meaning if you lost your job today will you be in major trouble next week , I wouldn't risk a contract job.