Ubuntu 12.04 network question

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Guys been dabbling with Ubuntu server. I am trying to setup a DRBL / clonezilla server.

The rig I am using has two network cards. (eth0, eth1)

I want a static I.P for both cards one to be public and one to be private. As I will hooking up a switch to the private network card and using it to image machines.

The question is what is the best way to configure both cards without conflicts. on the second card (private) what the hell would the gateway be? Would it be the server I.P?

Gods of Linux help a brother out :)
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You don't need a gateway on both. You just need to setup routing properly with forward, iptables rules etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds complicated... The tutorial I was following the guy just edited his network config added in the two interfaces and set the private gateway to be the server I.P. No mention of firewall rules or routes.

Now I am really confused. the whole reason was I needed the two interfaces to have different address as the private nic will be running a DHCP service any nodes plugged into the switch connrcted to this particular nic would automatically be assigned I.ps. I wanted to isolate the second ethernet card as DRBL needs to have a DHCP service running to avoid conflict with the public DHCP server already on the network.

Damm my head hurts lol

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For the Ubuntu version you're using, I believe they're still using sysVinit along with Upstart. I found two links that I hope come in handy for you. Be sure to read the comments below as I'm seeing some commands such as modifying file in /proc directory won't be persistent across reboots.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I suggest you look for a newer guide? 12.04 is very close to be being unsupported/end of life.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    Yes I am aware of newer versions, However I cannot find any newer guides that walk you through the process of setting up DRBL / clonezilla.

As for iptables / masquerade there is no mention of this in the tutorial. Like I said the guy sets up two different network cards one for public network which I assume is running it's own DHCP. The second card he assigns a static I.P with the gateway as the server I.p as this network card will be connected to a seperate card and would be dishing out ips via it's own DHCP so that any machines connected to this switch can then pxe boot.

No mention of ip forwarding / iptables im confused I will have to post a link up to the tutorial.

# seperate switch not card.

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    As for iptables / masquerade there is no mention of this in the tutorial.

If you are speaking of the two tutorial links I provided in my previous post, then you may have overlooked the second link in hypertext which mentioned masquerading. However, there is no mention of DHCP as it's assumed that static hosts would be used instead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBetLzsWPY

that is the tutorial I am using watch the network config part there is no mention of iptables etc.

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    https://fogproject.org/ might be a better alternative to clonezilla.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
    If you're not trying go route between the interfaces you don't have to do anything special. Just put the IPs on the interface and the default out the way you want it to go.
    I start looking at FOG project can somebody with the network knowledge break this down for me and explain the concepts :)

Now I am using Centos 7:

Topology wise I am using a server with two network cards:

network card 1: Is connected to a switch when then is connected to the business router which is running DHCP

network card 2: is isolated it will be connected initially to a small netgear switch purely for imaging purposes.

The first question is when I set up the FOG server am I right to assume that the i.p address of the server will be network card 1:

What would be the gateway of network card 2: am I right to assume it would be the address of network card 1icon_confused.gif??? I assume it wouldn't need DNS as it's not being connected to a router.....

During the Fog install you have to specify whether or not to run a DHCP server as I don't want to cause conflicts would I set it on the second network card?

Thank you for the guidance people I am quite new to networking and you have been most helpful :)

You don't need a gateway on both. The gateway is just where you send traffic you don't have a connected route for.
    So the server ip of the fog server would be eth0?

As for the DHCP I want it running on the 2nd card as you have to specify during the fog setup.

Regarding the 2nd eth card do I just set a ip address and no more details? I.e no gateway no dns. As this card will be isolated connected to a switch for imaging purposes.

Many thanks

Can anybody help me with the above?

Appreciate it

Yeah I'd think just setting the IP would be all you need. I haven't gone through the exact tutorial though.