Zero to CCNA?

mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need some more technical certs to bolster my current set. If I were to start studying for a CCNA, about how long would it take until I should take the exam? I have almost no networking experience. I did once manage a Cisco ASA 5510 in one of my environments (did very simple things in it like assigning port address translation, if i remember correctly). Networking is not part of my current job.

Comments

• rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Like you, Networking is not part of my current job. I've been studying (for the CCNA) now for the best part of 3 months and I feel that I've only just begun to grasp to concepts needed to pass this exam. If I were able to study day in and day out for 8 to 10 hours a day, maybe I'd feel ready to sit the exam; I don't have that particular luxury. I (like many people) have to hold down a full time job whilst studying for this qualification, and as such, I accept that it's going to take me much longer than it would do if I were able to commit to full-time study.

The other thing on my mind is the costs of sitting the exam. I NEED to pass this first time! I can't afford to fail and then re-sit it at a latter date. To that end, I've given myself 12 months to learn, not only all I need to learn in order to pass the CCNA exam, but also more than I need. I feel that what I've set myself is a realistic target, based upon what I know about myself and my academic abilities (which are not the best).

If anyone can pass this exam in 60 days, from zero networking experience, then that's excellent and my hat goes off to you! I know that I'd be hard pressed to achieve that even if I could commit to full-time studying; part-time, not a chance!

I'm sure that the link that NetworkNewb has been good enough to post, could be of considerable use to you, but my advice would be; you know what your abilities are; set yourself a realistic target, and go for it!
    No longer an active member
  • mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□

From the description, that book only covers the 200-120 book, not 200-125. Is this correct?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mudflaps wrote: »
    From the description, that book only covers the 200-120 book, not 200-125. Is this correct?

Yes. Paul Browning hasn't updated the book yet.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As always YMMV. Depending on how many resources you use(and you should use as many as possible), how much active reading and note taking you do, how many spaced repetitions you do, how much labbing you do, and of course how many hours you can put in per day. Don't worry about how much it took someone else to do it and just study the right way for it and enjoy the journey.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    koz24 wrote: »
    As always YMMV. Depending on how many resources you use(and you should use as many as possible), how much active reading and note taking you do, how many spaced repetitions you do, how much labbing you do, and of course how many hours you can put in per day. Don't worry about how much it took someone else to do it and just study the right way for it and enjoy the journey.

Pretty much this. I was kinda trolling with my answer above. Apologies

Everyone is different and everyone retains/understands information at different levels. Everyone has different amount of time they can put in each day/week. One person might get it done in 2 weeks, another person might take a year. So you'll probably be someone in the that range, just depends how many hours you put in to studying each day and how well you are understanding the material as to where you fall. Best of luck!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Mud FWIW - Really impressed that you have the wisdom and desire to actually take on a meaningful certification right out the gate.

I've seen more entry level folks go to intermediate level roles (~60 - 80k) with that certification alone. All the way back in 2007 I was seeing this, on the help desk I was on, the only people who were plucked from the desk to higher level roles were: Legacy AKA Nepatism, Hot Chics, People who had their CCNA.

We used to joke about it. In fact one of my good friend (who has one certification) the CCNA was almost done with the MCSE 2003 when he shifted tracks to the CCNA. He's 30 and makes more than my old arse. The NA has done him well.

Just saying.....
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I liked Todd Lammle's books and used it as my primary study material earlier this year when I passed my CCNA.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

Pretty much this. I was kinda trolling with my answer above. Apologies

Everyone is different and everyone retains/understands information at different levels. Everyone has different amount of time they can put in each day/week. One person might get it done in 2 weeks, another person might take a year. So you'll probably be someone in the that range, just depends how many hours you put in to studying each day and how well you are understanding the material as to where you fall. Best of luck!

No trolling offense taken. My post was kind of an open, loaded question. I didn't see length of study time anywhere in the stickied posts, so I figured I would ask.
    @Mud FWIW - Really impressed that you have the wisdom and desire to actually take on a meaningful certification right out the gate.

I've seen more entry level folks go to intermediate level roles (~60 - 80k) with that certification alone. All the way back in 2007 I was seeing this, on the help desk I was on, the only people who were plucked from the desk to higher level roles were: Legacy AKA Nepatism, Hot Chics, People who had their CCNA.

We used to joke about it. In fact one of my good friend (who has one certification) the CCNA was almost done with the MCSE 2003 when he shifted tracks to the CCNA. He's 30 and makes more than my old arse. The NA has done him well.

Just saying.....

Yeah, I have always wanted to take this cert and have had a high regard for it. Plus, any chance to learn something new is a good thing.
    I liked Todd Lammle's books and used it as my primary study material earlier this year when I passed my CCNA.

Seems to be very popular. What did you use as a lab?
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really depends on many factors. Motivation, time, access to study resources are the main ones. There are so many resources out there, many of which are freely available on Youtube and other places. You can get a week of free videos from CBT Nuggets if you sign up with a credit card (just don't forget to cancel unless you want to pay for more time.) So many others for the CCNA.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend INE's CCNA course.

I'd also recommend not rushing it. Take the time and learn the concepts thoroughly. It will stick with you better that way.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mudflaps, People often over/under estimate there ability.

I believe you need to read a book in order to take this test. Time how long it take you to read 10-15 pages of a technical book. Then use that information to determine how long it will take you to read the CCNA book.

This is your bare minimum starting point. Time will need to be added for labbing and practice tests. If something does not click you might need another resource.

My guess is that most people that are self studying part time will take closer to a year to complete. This is because of lifestyle not because of the material.

Good Luck!
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Mudflaps, People often over/under estimate there ability.

I believe you need to read a book in order to take this test. Time how long it take you to read 10-15 pages of a technical book. Then use that information to determine how long it will take you to read the CCNA book.

This is your bare minimum starting point. Time will need to be added for labbing and practice tests. If something does not click you might need another resource.

My guess is that most people that are self studying part time will take closer to a year to complete. This is because of lifestyle not because of the material.

Good Luck!

That is reasonable. Was the 200-125 exam just released? It seems most training is geared toward some other 200-1XX test.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, forgot to mention experience with the subjects being tested / whether you work with the stuff makes a difference in your prep time. Someone with 0 experience would want to go the CCENT route, which will take more time.