Options

Several interviews coming up, need some career advice.

So right now I'm doing desktop support and have been for almost 2 years with the same company. This is my first real IT job (had something part time for a couple months beforehand). It's a small organization of about 50 employees and 5 branches. My goal is to become a network engineer some day, but it's become obvious that networking is a very difficult field to break into. I've got an interview coming up for a NOC role for an MSP and also for a User Support Analyst. The user support job pays 43k and, for several reasons, I think I've got a very good shot at getting it. The NOC job pays about 35k-45k from what I've been told and is in a more expensive area.

My question is should I even bother interviewing for the user support role? Both are about an hour and a half away, so I can't see myself driving for an interview for a job I'm not that excited about. I'm just so sick of dealing with desktops and printers and all that nonsense. I feel like it's a waste of my potential. It's the same stuff for 95% of the time. I really want to work with backend technologies like routers/switches, servers, firewalls, etc. The only thing I like about the user support job is the money, but looking ahead 5 years or so, I know I'd make more as a network engineer, systems admin, or something similar. I've been looking around at these user/desktop/technical support type roles and this job would almost put me at the cap for my area. If I ever wanted to go further I'd have to switch over and specialize in something. So in my mind why even bother?

I feel bad going through everything and turning down the job, because I know the guy who got me an interview and don't want to step on any toes. At least canceling will keep them from wasting their time and I can explain the situation of wanting to get into another field of IT. Any advice or insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No, do not go. Especially if you feel like it is a waste of your potential. That is too long of a commute. Try to find something closer.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1hour and 30minute commute for a job you hate? Yeah, take that one off the list :)

You should be a shoe-in for the NOC job considering you have experience and a CCNA. You may not like the money but it is a start and you can continue certifying while working. Once you get the NOC job focus on a CCNP or some other CCNAs, then you'll be ready to hop from the NOC to something better. THat's what I'd do.
  • Options
    QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never knew so many people considered jobs far away until this forum. Good luck with your interview!
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    @koz24 That's pretty much my plan. I figure I can get my CCNP in a year and then hopefully move on to something else.

Thank you everyone for the advice! Sadly, when you live in nowheresville, long travel times are pretty common. :P I'd relocate for either, but I honestly didn't want to live where the user support job was. Another reason not to bother! I'll have to spend this weekend refreshing my CCNA knowledge, that cert is a year old. Anyone have any ideas of typical NOC questions I'd be asked?
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    a CCNP on your resume won't mean much.... withOUT applicable Experience.

So... you should probably seek a NOC position (and build some Resume exp).
    The pay is low... but you don't have to stay there for years & years.

Consider it more like a PAID Internship.

(that's what i'm doing :)
  • Options
    I don't agree Volfkhat. A legitimate CCNP certainly has more value than a legitimate CCNA. Someone who dumped the CCNP and has no experience then I agree with you it is worthless. But a good hiring manager will be able to tell by the technical interview whether you are legitimate or not.

If his plan is to get a year or two of NOC experience and get a CCNP it is a good plan. Because then you will be a shoe in for Associate Network Engineer/ Network Engineer I type jobs.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    I don't agree Volfkhat. A legitimate CCNP certainly has more value than a legitimate CCNA. Someone who dumped the CCNP and has no experience then I agree with you it is worthless. But a good hiring manager will be able to tell by the technical interview whether you are legitimate or not.

If his plan is to get a year or two of NOC experience and get a CCNP it is a good plan. Because then you will be a shoe in for Associate Network Engineer/ Network Engineer I type jobs.

Yaw,
    i guess i meant a CCNP with only "User Support Analyst" experience might raise some flags.
    Hence, OP should pursue the NOC roles :]
  • Options
    I actually stopped studying for my CCNP back in late 2015 for that reason. After talking with some people, it seemed like having a CCNP without any networking experience could hurt me.

All I need is enough money to survive. I don't mind some hardships for a year or two if it means a better life afterwards.
  • Options
    I actually stopped studying for my CCNP back in late 2015 for that reason. After talking with some people, it seemed like having a CCNP without any networking experience could hurt me.

All I need is enough money to survive. I don't mind some hardships for a year or two if it means a better life afterwards.

How can having extra knowledge ever hurt you? I disagree with those people.

Now, if you get your CCNP and all of a sudden start applying to mid-level and senior level positions without having any experience then that's a whole other story. But there is nothing wrong with going from CCNA with no experience to getting a CCNP and applying for entry-level jobs. You will usually get harder interviews, because they want to find out whether you are a legitimate CCNP or not. So I guess that's the only case where it could "hurt". But if you are legitimate you will have a huge edge over a CCNA.
  • Options
    In hindsight I should have just went for the CCNP, I'm actually kicking myself in the butt for not doing it. I could have just left it off my resume if it was really that much of an issue. Once my Bachelors is done, I'll be going for the CCNP regardless. I've dabbled in some other technologies since last year and networking is where I want to make my home. Plus, I've got most of the study material already!
  • Options
    No way, put it on your resume and be proud of it! That's another silly thing I never got, hiding valuable certs because you are paranoid some hiring manager might think this or that.

I think the real reason is people don't want to get the CCNP for whatever reason and come up with excuses to make them selves feel better for not getting it.
  • Options

Yaw, it can possibly raise some questions.

And as you have already said, Definitely go get the CCNP; just leave it off your resume if you are applying for entry-level NOC gigs.

But as soon as you get some good EXP, add that baby Right back on :]

my two cents
  • Options
    You two are making me itch to start studying again! icon_study.gif Well at least now I've got a plan for when I graduate. Been thinking about what to do afterwards and now I'm pretty much 100% set on the CCNP. Interview is on Monday, so lets hope it goes well.

Thanks again for all the advice!
  • Options
    You two are making me itch to start studying again! icon_study.gif Well at least now I've got a plan for when I graduate. Been thinking about what to do afterwards and now I'm pretty much 100% set on the CCNP. Interview is on Monday, so lets hope it goes well.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Good luck on the interview and don't listen to people who tell you gaining knowledge is a bad idea. Cisco exams do not have any endorsement requirements or years experience requirements. Sure, they RECOMMEND that you have a certain amount, but it's not required. In theory you could get a CCIE and have no experience and have someone hire you on as a Network Engineer II or something. Why not? There are tons of resources for it and if you are legitimate they will find out in the many technical interviews you can expect to get.
  • Options
    So the interview was yesterday. I swear these things just keep getting weirder. Interview was at 11 but I got there early because it was 2 hours away and I had no idea how bad traffic would be since it's a large city. The place and people were super nice, awesome atmosphere. They had like, every drink you could imagine and kept offering me stuff.

Anyways, its 11 and the guy who's supposed to be interviewing me is running late. The receptionist said he was "putting out a fire." After 45 minutes, someone else finally took me into the office. He said he didn't want to ask a lot of the same questions my interviewer was going to ask, so we just kinda talked about basic stuff (my resume, goals, the company, etc.). He asked one scenario question. The guy who was supposed to be interviewing me finally comes in, basically asks all the same general questions, tells me about the company, and that's it. No technical or scenario questions at all. It was super weird, because he seemed pretty sure that they would hire me. He saw I had my CCNA and that's really all he cared about. Like, he didn't even test my knowledge at all.

The salary is about 40k a year, which I thought was pretty good. It's an MSP and apparently I'll be looking at alerts and answering incoming calls. Mostly show commands and not a lot of configuration at this level. Is that normal?
  • Options
    I'd be very careful of places that don't technically interview you. It could mean that you will be working with dummies or your boss isn't technically sound enough to conduct a technical interview himself. Either way it's not a good thing. But you need the experience so you have nothing to lose. Don't worry about salary at this point too much, that will all come later with experience and more certs. If you can live off the 40k I would take this job.
  • Options
    My only concern is I don't want to be stuck in a call center doing nothing but answering phones. I was told I'd be logging into router and switches everyday, so as long as they aren't lying I should be good. My current job had the same type of interview and it lines up with what you described. The job and my boss are both very nontechnical. That's why it was a red flag for me
  • Options
    My only concern is I don't want to be stuck in a call center doing nothing but answering phones. I was told I'd be logging into router and switches everyday, so as long as they aren't lying I should be good. My current job had the same type of interview and it lines up with what you described. The job and my boss are both very nontechnical. That's why it was a red flag for me

My only concern would be that TWO hour commute :]

If you have no better options.... take the job.
    With a little luck, you will get to work with at least One person who knows their stuff. Shadow and learn from them Every Single Day.

And, of course..... start studying for your CCNP!
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I was in a similar position a while back. For my first IT job I just took whatever was available. Then, I had an opportunity to go for a NOC role that was a paycut or a tech support role that paid a LOT more money. Just like you, I was thinking about several years down the road. I wanted to be a Network Engineer so I took the NOC role. Less than a year later I was a Network Engineer.

I'm with koz24 regarding the CCNP. I don't see anything wrong with doing it to learn the materials. The knowledge from CCNP helped me get the NOC job and move on to engineering.
  • Options
    I ended up taking the job. Now I just have to get all the paperwork done and find an apartment! Excited and nervous at the same time. icon_cheers.gif Pretty glad to be moving out of my parents place.
  • Options
    I ended up taking the job. Now I just have to get all the paperwork done and find an apartment! Excited and nervous at the same time. icon_cheers.gif Pretty glad to be moving out of my parents place.

Hah, easy choice then. I didn't know you were living at home. In this case, yeah take the job in a heartbeat because living with your parents sucks. Work hard and enjoy your independent life icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Congrats! Good luck on the new role. Make sure you complete all the requirements (drug test, bg check, etc.) before putting in your notice.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement everyone! Thought I mentioned that I lived at home, but I didn't. I'm just a young pup at 22. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    i wouldn't be so Quick to Move Out.

Seriously.... maybe give the new job 90 days. (although, i think you said the commute is long?)

I work alongside a guy who's only 20 years old.
    Still at home with Mom & Dad; banking Crazy $$$.

In fact, i just now realized that i lived at home for 12 months when i got my first job outta school.

just saying...
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the two hour drive I'd probably stay with my parents. Is there any other reason you say that besides being able to bank the money? I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can with all this.