Options

Well-Roundedness (Cloud/Future jobs)

sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello:

Couple things I've noticed while looking for regular non-cloud Network Admin/NOC/Whatever jobs. Even the networking-only jobs seem to want a little of everything which is fine. Mostly things like Windows Server, Active Directory (A LOT), security, virtualization, etc.

Long term, I want to get into the cloud. But any cloud job I see requires years of experience, and essentially the skills of what on-prem people would need (it seems), and then just moving it onto the cloud.

So with that being said, I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Right now, I just have the CCNA and Network+. I'm studying for AWS.

So I know, it all depends on what kind of job you get, and the cloud is vast and all. But what are some other general skills I should have so that I'm well-rounded and an ideal candidate? Should I get other certs before AWS? Like security+ or CCNA Sec, etc. I don't know any programming languages, or scripting. Should I learn python?

I know I'm all over the place, but still. Any help will suffice lol.

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think AWS is a smart move. You may want to pick up some Azure skills, as well. Python is real popular these days, it wouldn't hurt to add it to your list.

What do you do now?
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »
    I think AWS is a smart move. You may want to pick up some Azure skills, as well. Python is real popular these days, it wouldn't hurt to add it to your list.

What do you do now?

Currently I do basic IT break/fix work. I've been doing this for a while before I decided I needed to move up. Can't lie, I got comfortable.

Anyway, I am starting a new job in November that is 75% network and 25% audio visual. However my job title is A/V Systems Administrator. I have absolutely no idea what my day to day will be like lol. But I had to take the job from my standpoint. I wasn't getting offers, and it seems to go from **** pay to decent pay is a lot harder than going from decent pay to higher pay. I guess it is a leverage standpoint.

The job itself, he specifically said is not cisco backbone nor is it cloud, but still. Kind of going in blind and hoping for the best lol.

I was actually thinking about Python but forgot to add that. After I posted this I'm thinking this is what I need to do:
    Either Security+ or CCNA: Sec
    Server 2012 knowledge with Active Directory/Group Policy focus (not necessarily getting the MCSA.)
    Virtualization skills
    Scripting language.

From all the jobs I've applied for, it seems these are the most recurring items. I also thinking that will be the order I will be doing it in. Maybe switching Server 2012 and Security, but def those first.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish you well in your new position.

Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP, File Share permissions are all good skills to have. Add some VMware/hyper-v like you said and you'll be on your way.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like your strategy, congrats obtaining the CCNA. That's a big time certifications. I don't know much about it but recently we had a cloud architect linkedin in to me and I noticed he had some AWS certifications. (Not sure the last part helps) but I wanted to pass it along.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work as a Cloud Security Analyst securing AWS. A CCNA does not make sense and is useless from my experience.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed with Remedy, but since he has the CCNA R&S list it still, it surely won't hurt. Hopefully the OP goes through the AWS certification track it seems to be gaining serious traction in that space.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    I work as a Cloud Security Analyst securing AWS. A CCNA does not make sense and is useless from my experience.

Directly correlated sure, it does not equate. But from what I've noticed is a lot of employers want a little bit of everything. Maybe not for the cisco commands themselves, but how networking works in general. I know first hand that a lot of network admin/engineer jobs I've been looking at require sys admin knowledge, even if they aren't directly involved. I just want to seem like more of a total package at the base level, with a specific mastery in one domain.

But since you work directly with AWS, what skills would you suggest I learn?
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Directly correlated sure, it does not equate. But from what I've noticed is a lot of employers want a little bit of everything. Maybe not for the cisco commands themselves, but how networking works in general. I know first hand that a lot of network admin/engineer jobs I've been looking at require sys admin knowledge, even if they aren't directly involved. I just want to seem like more of a total package at the base level, with a specific mastery in one domain.

But since you work directly with AWS, what skills would you suggest I learn?

If you're applying for the position, then it's a given you have this networking knowledge whether you have the cert or not.

If you want to get into cloud, demonstrate literacy of the IaaS,PaaS, Docker and coding such as Python and Bash.

You can get your AWS sys admin cert. But, it's about "What can I bring to the table?" during the interview. Try and demonstrate what I mentioned above, and you'll be fine for an interview.