Options

New job! I think my current employer is going to be angry, advice?

MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
So I interviewed for a new position recently, it's a smaller company. I interviewed directly with the 2 owners of the company, the position is network engineer. They offer all kinds of great benefits my current company doesn't. 2 weeks paid vacation from the get go, its a salary job so sick days and all that don't matter as long as its not out of control(obviously), gas paid for, they cover half of the services on my car(new tires, oil change etc.) raise by December, and I can get anything computer related for myself through them at vendor price and either pay in full or have them take it out of my checks over 10 checks or whatever, 100% covered health insurance also. Plus, it pays 10k more a year than my current position.

Just took the job on Thursday, today is the beginning of my work week so I am putting in my two weeks at some point. I really don't think they're going to be happy. Advice on how I should do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sounds like you are a valuable employee (looking at what you you offered and that the old employer will be upset). Be as professional as possible, do not burn bridges or talk down about the company or people. While you may not work for the same company again you might end up working for or with individuals there.

Put your notice in writing with a letter, give one to your boss and one to HR (if you have an HR). Be polite in the letter, usually say something like you've learned a lot, you appreciate the time and opportunity that was given but it's time to move on.

Realize they might be pissed and generally managers aren't great at managing (shocking I know) or being tactful so expect the manager to be an asset. Just take the high road and thank them for the time. 10k and full benefits is hard to argue with and probably cannot be matched by your current employer.

If they counter my rule of thumb is never accept it. If you have to quit to get the raise, benefits or changes you have been wanting then that company isn't worth working for imo.

Sounds like you landed a good gig, good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, think an email will suffice? My bosses don't work on the weekends so they will not see it until Monday
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd wait until Monday to drop your boss a note. Don't be selfish and potentially ruin his/hers weekend by dropping the email today or tomorrow. The time stamp of the email can be viewed as you hate the place etc so wait for beginning of business. Technically your two weeks wouldn't start until Monday anyway.

To your point I personally feel an email is fine.

Good luck on your new position.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is that how you'd like to find out you've been fired? by an email sent on the weekend. I don't think so. And, they wont appreciate find out that way either.

Let them know in person. Find out what you they would like you to do before leaving, from hr to the projects that your working on, etc.
  • Options
    In person would be hard as my bosses aren't in this state, they are a few states away.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just give them a call Monday.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer something in writing to make it formal, is there no HR or boss on site? I agree that it should wait until Monday, I refuse to fire someone on a Friday for that same reason. Get all your personal stuff out before you notify them, even if it takes an extra day. Be polite and respectful. Thank them for the opportunity. If there's no chance they can counter be polite but terse. If you want them to counter, make sure you leave that door open in how you resign.
  • Options
    Not going to accept a counter either way, plus I'm very doubtful they'd be able to match my current offer. Plus the new job told me the raise in December as a sort of preemptive counter in case they counter lol I have that along with their entire offer in writing. No HR here until Monday either. I'm thinking maybe an email and phone call on Monday. That way I can let them know on the phone but they'll have it in writing via the email. I've already drafted up my email.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    Send your manager an email on Monday morning stating that you are giving your two weeks noticed and state your last day. Also CC the HR department in the email.

I personally would not accept any counter offers.

Just remember not to take anything personal, this is just business.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Do not email, it needs to be formal (in writing). If you have the day off go up there and hand it to the person in charge. I worked a weekend job and I had to turn in my 2 week notice to another manager because he was the only one working during the weekend. It doesn't need to necessarily be YOUR boss, just a manager in charge. Go up there if you need to on an off day.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    Not going to accept a counter either way, plus I'm very doubtful they'd be able to match my current offer. Plus the new job told me the raise in December as a sort of preemptive counter in case they counter lol I have that along with their entire offer in writing. No HR here until Monday either. I'm thinking maybe an email and phone call on Monday. That way I can let them know on the phone but they'll have it in writing via the email. I've already drafted up my email.

Good plan
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The way I do it is give them the letter in person and then send an e-mail right after so it's on file for HR compliance.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since they are out of state, I would make a formal letter and attach it to an email on Monday. CC HR and try to be as professional as you can.

It is business, so do not feel ashamed of what you are doing. You are not the first person to leave the compan and you will not be the last.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't mind burning a bridge and being seen as unprofessional then by all means send an email. If you want to be seen as a professional in the industry and want to leave the door open for a potential return, you should write a letter saying how thankful you are for the opportunity but ... and since neither your boss nor HR are on-site, give it to the ranking person there. Then, call your boss and let him/her know, then email him/her and HR in a formal fashion, summarizing the letter and stating that you've given it to the ranking person.

Quitting in a professional fashion is uncomfortable but adults deal with uncomfortable things when they need to.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have any personal files etc maybe back them up first. Will they cut your access when you give notice?
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    Doubt it, I do have a couple things to finish up. I will have time to finish them though, and I will stay until they are complete. I think writing a letter and attaching it to an email is a good idea.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The responses here are a bit funny (to me).

I quit my last job by Email.... sent around 11:50pm.... on a Saturday night.

It was professional (and all that jazz), but it was still by Email.

Didn't think twice about it.

No bridges burnt, either. Ended up staying a good 6-8 weeks to give them time to find/train my replacement.

/shrug

But what i want to know is: How can i get EXP/offers like MJK9550? :D
  • Options
    Yea I was surprised by the offer lol I did one interview and then they had me come in and do a "trial" type thing where I worked for 3 hours and then called me later that day with my offer. Pretty awesome, the cheap PC stuff is one of my favorite things lol

One thing I forgot to put in my original post, they pay my phone bill too or will get me another one and pay that. They said it was up to me lol
  • Options
    winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you get along well with your boss(es)? Do you work closely with them?

If yes, i'd say give them a call to give them a heads up that they are about to get your notice in writing. You'll still be giving your notice that day in writing.

It doesn't take a great deal to be a little bit friendly and nice about it. Sure, it will be awkward, but there will be plenty of awkward discussions to come after you send the email - what's one more? Besides, if you call and be nice and polite, then you start the whole process off with a positive tone
  • Options
    So did it today, went pretty well. They definitely asked if there was anything at all they could do to keep me with the company. I didn't bother trying to get a counter from them, going to help them find someone to replace me in the mean time per their request.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Best of luck in the new gig.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They wouldn't give you two weeks notice that they were going to get rid of you, so why do it for them?
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    They wouldn't give you two weeks notice that they were going to get rid of you, so why do it for them?

Because it's employment at will. Most people who do not wish to burn bridges with a company and the people there opt to give a 2-3 week notice. I usually offer 3 and most of the time they take it because they cannot replace me in that time frame but at least it gives me some time to transfer as much knowledge and processes as possible to someone else until they find a replacement.

You can bail out at any moment but I hope you plan on never using that company and your coworkers as references.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Because it's employment at will. Most people who do not wish to burn bridges with a company and the people there opt to give a 2-3 week notice. I usually offer 3 and most of the time they take it because they cannot replace me in that time frame but at least it gives me some time to transfer as much knowledge and processes as possible to someone else until they find a replacement.

You can bail out at any moment but I hope you plan on never using that company and your coworkers as references.

If they're going to give you a bad reference for not giving two weeks, then they weren't going to give a good reference anyways. The reference is based on the work you performed. Not, the way you exited.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe it works that way in a perfect world Remedymp, but just cutting out isn't likely to get you a glowing reference no matter how well you did in your time there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    If they're going to give you a bad reference for not giving two weeks, then they weren't going to give a good reference anyways. The reference is based on the work you performed. Not, the way you exited.

Most places will not give you a bad reference because of legal concerns. But they can easily just decline to give a reference and that will tell HR all they need to know. If I was a manager and had an employee bail on me without notice I would try not to LOL as I say "sorry I cannot give you a reference for this person".
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before you email, speak to your boss personally, whether that's in person, or by phone. Let him know you're putting in your notice, then after that, email him, his mngr & HR with your official notice.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)