Options

Full time student studying for CCNA

chansaeleechansaelee Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to IT. I'm currently a full time CS major but something about IT (cisco networking specifically) caught my attention while strolling around campus. After doing some research, it really sparked an interest and I have been studying for the CCNA exam in my spare time (15 units is a little rough right now). Once this semester is over, I have about a month of winter break before the spring semester and plan to study hard for this CCNA exam. Hoping to take it around spring time next year if I feel comfortable enough. Question for the IT gurus and veterans, should I pass my CCNA exam, how difficult would it be for someone new to the industry to pick up an internship while still being a full time student? Possibly a part-time job or weekend job? Oh, I am also located in San Francisco and have researched the local job market a little but every post I stumble upon generally requires some sort of work related experience. I have literally zero IT experience and so I ask, where would one get experience? The only other work experience I have (not IT related) is my seven years of active duty with the air force.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

-Chan

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi Chan,

I don't think it will be tough at all, especially in San Francisco. Considering there are full-time NOC positions for CCENTs and CCNAs, I really like your chances of landing an internship with a CCNA. A lot of companies love interns because they are cheap and you don't have to pay them benefits.

Internships typically do not require past experience, and with your military background and a CCNA you should be able to land a gig in SF. Good luck!
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    What he said. Shouldn't have an issue at all.