Options

CCNA/CCENT Latest Changes?/Hardware Recommendations

MercfhMercfh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I know a lot of the exams have just changed, and material has changed (as of Sept or whatever?). Anyways im coming from a career in QA (Now doing Automation Engineering, mostly Rails/Ruby stuff. So I have an ok coding background).

Anyways i've been looking to make some changes to my career, getting into networking mainly as i've always been pretty fascinated. I have a pretty decent hardware/sysadmin background but networking is def. not my strong suit.

Anyways I wonder about Hardware recommendations with the new changes? What would be appropriate? I know Packet Tracer/GNS3 exist, but this is less about "passing the test" and more about learning and using the material to eventually try and use at work a little bit. I DO plan on going forward past CCNA (Ideally Security).

Im giving myself till around mid-way next year to pass the exams (probably less for the CCENT), but this is more for learning than passing.

As far as material im using Todd Lammle's book. Since ODOM's don't seem updated to the newest (at least I can't find any). I will probably also use CBT nuggets as well for video training. CCENT is of course my first goal (since im going to go the 2 part exam).

Im unsure of what other course material is actually "updated" but I suppose looking over old stuff can at least give some supplemental training.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Uriah7Uriah7 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I come from development. I have a BS in CS and have decided to go the cisco route due to low wages and outsourcing in the development field. I think you are making a good choice. I notice people talk a lot about development on here, but I don't know if they have experienced it or not. Some seem to aspire to be developers on these forums, but I don't understand it as my experience has not been incredible. Anyway, this isn't about my frustrations, but that I agree with the direction you are heading.

Just passed my CCENT, used Lammle's 100-105 book which comes with 1 month of ITPROTV.com and a 280 question test bank. I also used a physical lab of one 2950 switch, two 3750 switches, three 2821 routers and one 2811 router. All have the latest IOS and it came with a rack. I bought it all on Amazon for $400 shipped. This lab should get us through the CCNA and well into the CCNP. I studied for 3 months solid. The CCENT was surprisingly difficult for me due to the quantity of information and rushing to get it done. Don't underestimate it! I hope this information is helpful.
  • Options
    techhungrytechhungry Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Uriah7, Can you please provide the amazon link where you purchased the kit.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not just use GNS3 and Packet Tracer for most of the labs? CCNA is a foundation level exam, you don't need a whole lot of equipment. Understand the theory, put it to test on a sim, done.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S