Options

Anthony's CCIE R&S thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It’s been a couple weeks since I posted, but I am still on schedule even through the holidays. I fell a few days behind on my section review, but eventually caught up after budgeting my time appropriately. This week I finished the first part of OSPF. A few key things to remember:

-OSPF flood reduction vs demand circuit: Both enabled the DoNotAge LSA bit, but the flood reduction feature does not disable periodic hellos like the demand circuit feature does.
    - OSPF SHA authentication is only supported at the interface level on IOS/XE.
    - The transit capability is enabled for virtual links, meaning a virtual links superior metric will take this path over a non-enabled virtual link path with an inferior metric unless the transit option is disabled.
    - Null authentication may be used at an interface level to disable required authentication that was enabled at an OSPF area level.

That’s all I have this week. Also, I worked through some Narbik EIGRP labs with wide metrics during my section active review. it useful. I now have an environment in EVE-NG when I need an on-the-go option.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Checking in. Not much to speak on, other than finished up the OSPF labs for INE.

I noticed no FRR for OSPF, even though it’s in the blueprint. Gonna need to find some material for that.

Running through BGP this week. Lots of details to go over, and the labs are very detailed regarding requirements, so my projected 2 weeks for BGP may turn into 3. We will see. For now, pumping out BGP labs and having fun doing it!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Haven’t checked in in two weeks. Might as well give an update.

The last two weeks have been all BGP. At first, things were going very slow as some of the tasks required a bit more configuration per lab. There were several things I hadn’t seen before, so digging into understanding the syntax was crucial, and required some extra time researching and understanding these things. This list included:

- Advertise maps
    - Extended ACLs for route filtering (AKA using extended ACLs in BGP like a prefix list)
    - BGP local AS
    - BGP ORF
    - BGP AllowAS in

The remainder of the topics I recall previously covering in the written (Or my lab attempts during the written), or experience. I thought, at first, that it would take more than two weeks to complete BGP, however the second half of the labs were not as strenuous as the first, which allowed me to catch up.

I updated my lab automation to support python3 completely this week, for a couple reasons.

- Python 3 is becoming more popular
    - The socket module, which I now use as my connectivity test rather than icmp (ICMP still works for python 2, only because one of the exception statements in the socket module it doesn’t support). I use a port scan on TCP port 22. This is just as fast as icmp was, as long as I set the timeout low, and resolves my problem with accessing SSH on a device sometimes due to the SSH a key mysteriously disappearing from the router.

This week, I am delving into MPLS. I have a moderate amount of experience in this realm, so hopefully it should go smoothly. Considering there are only 14 labs for this section, I will likely look at Narbik’s Bridging the gap book and run through his scenarios as well.

Thats it for this week.
  • Options
    Check-in! Haven’t done it in a couple weeks.

the last couple of weeks have been both MPLS and IPSec VPN/DMVPN. All very fun topics.

Everything was covered in the INE stuff that I’m aware of, and I even looked through some MPLS labs from Narbik.

This week is IPv6. Gahhhhh let’s doooo thiissss!!!! I am going to try stuffing in both INE and Narbik, although it may spread further than just a week. We’ll see! This is the last week before I go into a weeklong review of the last several topics covered (See my timeline). After that, it’s onto the foundational labs! Things are looking up for sure.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hey man, keep up the good work!

Me myself.. my CCIE studies have slowed.. currently waiting offer letter for a new gig and then I will be heading back into the IE again - of course been using the notes for interview prep ;)

Keep going!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    Hello All!
    @bharvey92: Congrats man! Keep on ROLLING THROUGH!

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted. Since then, I have completed IPv6, as well as going through a week of active review of BGP, OSPF, MPLS, and IPSec/DMVPN (May have to do some additional IPv6 review next week).

Have been between my studies and working the homework for the IPSpace Network Automation course (Which has helped me implement several topics as a means of active review). I have a multivendor environment: Cisco on my simulated site A, and Arista/Cumulus VX at my site B. Still working on getting the GRE tunnel up between the sites and that should be the last thing (See my topology on Github for more details if you'd like to follow my Network Automation journey with Ivan).

Getting nervous. Next week is my first pursuit towards the full-scale stuff. Going to be working on the three foundations labs next week. Let's hope everything goes smoothly! I have added an additional physical interface to my ESXi environment as a means to connect my lab equipment directly to my physical switching environment since all my equipment as a standard path has to go through a virtual PFSense firewall. I have added an additional connection to the mix to connect the routers to the switches through this connection by adding the VLANs to the trunk on my management switch. Going to be verifying things tonight very likely, and then follow with pursuit into the foundation stuff tomorrow.

I anticipate running through this a few times. I'm looking forward to this! I'll report back end of week hopefully
  • Options
    Hey guys, Checking in. Took about two weeks to work through the foundation labs. The first one wasn't too bad but the second and third were a little challenging. In addition, ran into some bugs with the software aspects of things, but was able to work around it. I am currently going through the troubleshooting labs right now. Again, some bugs here and there, but finished the first 1 of 3 with INE, mainly because I've had a little less time than usual. Still have to work through the Narbik TS workbook too. I have a feeling it'll be a few weeks working through this all. Originally, the timeline was two weeks, but that's unrealistic for the current content. Anyway, it's been fun. I'll be checking back in in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    Hey guys, checking back in. Finished the INE troubleshooting labs, but will need to push the Narbik labs to these next two weeks. I had both INE and Narbik's labs set for two weeks originally, but not a realistic goal, especially considering I'm taking other things on the side at the moment. The troubleshooting labs went well aside from some small bugs in the PPPoE troubleshooting. Everything else was pretty straightforward. Challenging, but straightforward. I will likely be coming back to the TS just because I enjoy the difficulty.

My goal for the next couple of weeks is more troubleshooting. I have the Narbik labs next. Here are a few key takeaways from my experience with TS these last two weeks:

- Get to know the OSPF NSSA area real well and the ospf show outputs for how the external route is being injected, specifically whether the type 7 will be converted to type 5, and why or why not
    - Get familiar with the peering requirements for BFD
    - Get real intimate with DMVPN, and all the different configuration options (There are a couple of variations for establishing the DMVPN tunnel, and I'm not talking about Phase I vs II vs III)
    - Be sure you know enough about CoPP and how it can affect the control plane
    - Remember the rules of the routing protocols. Things like conflicting router IDs LSA/prefix limiting are something you will likely run into
    - FOLLOW THE BREADCRUMBS

Now, this covers the more advanced stuff. You will see basic errors like misconfigured IP interfaces/VLANs/incorrect network statements or neighbor peerings too, but these are something I'd think many would look for first (Unless they tell you there's no errors in those configurations).
  • Options
    Hello all!

It has been some time since I last posted, so here is the situation: I did get a bit off track for the last month or two, primarily focusing on the automation course, as well as dealing with educating myself in a couple other subjects that were relevant to my situation. This should not push back my schedule by much, but it is something to take note of.

Currently, I am finishing up Narbik's troubleshooting labs, with the exception of the mock ones (Those come after the mock labs from INE), so that leaves IPv6. Very straightforward stuff, but the little things can get you. After that, I plan on getting Cisco's 360 Lab Simulation and trying it out, as a friend recommended it to me.

After going through that, I will begin doing some configuration drills daily, as well as reviewing weak points within the labs that were covered. This will likely come mid-August.

After that, run through the mock labs/full scale labs again. The purpose of this is to increase speed in resolving tickets. I am shooting for end of October, but that is tentative and it may be pushed to November 15th, depending on how I do on the upcoming mock labs.

I will be making a blog post in the near future on various random small things I have encountered in this lab experience, and how important it is to keep these things in the back of your mind (For example, the LDP RID MUST be a /32 ip address).
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    glad to hear you are still on it!
    keep up with the great work, nice to see your progress.
  • Options
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    glad to hear you are still on it!
    keep up with the great work, nice to see your progress.

Thanks for the well wishes!

So, finished the base TS scripts with Narbik's stuff. Working on the Mock labs now. Should have them done by end of week, an then onto some of the full scale labs at the weekend hopefully. There has been a couple new commands I have encountered since running through these TS labs, and even encountered an AToM configuration (Which doesn't appear in the blueprint). I have some of these TS topics may be old, but it's not going to stop me from going through them. The more practice, the better.

I still have a blog post that will be on the horizon, but need to sit down one day to work on it. Catching up on other various things lately, and that is one for this week and next week, based on my expectations.

That's all I have for now, aside from the fact I will be getting the Cisco 360 mock lab sim this or next week. That will be my focus very soon.
  • Options
    williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I see this thread started in 2016, so after 1.5-2 years I'd be forgot half of what I learned. I've seen where folks have hunkered down and passed CCIE written and lab in 6 months or less each exam.

What is typical for the average bear? By average bear, I mean smart enough to pass CCIE. I was hoping to have CCIE written and lab done within 12 months.

So I'm working back to CCNP after it expired years ago. I passed ROUTE and I'm working on SWITCH now then TSHOOT soon after.

I plan to hit CCIE right after CCNP is re-obtained.

Edit:

OfWolfAndMan what are your thoughts on your current timeline and when are you planning to take the lab?
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • Options
    Hi willieb,

I have seen a variable range of CCIE pursuit, but usually from my observations, many folks could last from 6 months to several years. It really depends on the situation. Things change, including priorities, job responsibilities, children are born, interests drag toward something else, life gets to you. That's really what it comes down to. I've been really working CCIE on and off since 2015, but really have only started a couple years ago mainly because my environment was mostly Cisco, and I didn't have to learn some of the off-the-wall stuff I did in 2015.

Being realistic, if you're focused on Cisco gear (Or anything that really conforms to the technologies and standards), and aren't strung around, you could probably knock out the lab alone in 6 months IF you minimized distractions and really drilled down on it. Obviously, some folks work at quicker paces as well too, so good for them. For my situation, I have had to learn to adjust my study hours (More so in the morning), due to raising a child the last few years. I am not saying that was the main thing that slowed me down, but it was a part of it. I'm not going to say it wasn't. Adapting to these situations should be the response for someone in this field, not crying over how life's too hard due to x, y, and z.

I currently am shooting for end of October or beginning of November, but it really depends on my self assessments coming up. I am currently working through the Full Scale INE labs (Really fun), and find these to be a great way to gauge my effectiveness AND efficiency as a whole (Since the exam IS timed).

Unfortunately, I was using Cisco's learning network to go through that practice assessment they had, but having some technical difficulties accessing it since the email I had on file is an old email, and the invoice has that old email too. I changed the email on Cisco's website, so let's hope it propagates. For now, going to have to contact customer support on Monday for that one.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    willieb wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I see this thread started in 2016, so after 1.5-2 years I'd be forgot half of what I learned. I've seen where folks have hunkered down and passed CCIE written and lab in 6 months or less each exam.

What is typical for the average bear? By average bear, I mean smart enough to pass CCIE. I was hoping to have CCIE written and lab done within 12 months.

So I'm working back to CCNP after it expired years ago. I passed ROUTE and I'm working on SWITCH now then TSHOOT soon after.

I plan to hit CCIE right after CCNP is re-obtained.

Edit:

OfWolfAndMan what are your thoughts on your current timeline and when are you planning to take the lab?

Hey there,

It took me about 7 months~ to pass the written (2 attempts, 3 months between each of them), and after that about 9-10 months to prepare myself for the lab, passing on the first attempt. I had the chance to take the lab before that (july), but didn't feel i could make it back then - so took a mobile lab after (in november).
    I am not a genius or a very brilliant guy, but it is completely doable in 12-14 months.
  • Options
    GlenchiongGlenchiong Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I plan to start studying for the CCIE LAB exam.
    Can you share your experience in prepping for the exam too, just to have more references, thanks to all! :)
  • Options
    Hi Glenchiong,

You may find my progress in the aforementioned posts. In addition, I have my notes on onedrive here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apb-qyBHn-lncomCp0gstw3M-UI

Progress update: Just still working through the full-scale labs. Nothing to report, aside from having a more detailed schedule for the next couple of months in my onenote excel doc "CCIE Lab Notes".

Will check in next week.
  • Options
    Hello all,

It's been a bit. So just want to make an announcement: I have halted CCIE studies. For the last year, I have really been contemplating whether the CCIE is worth it for me at this point, and honestly if someone would've asked me in 2015/2016, I would've said heck yes. However, things have changed a lot since then, and the shift in how networks are managed have changed substantially. Between NFV, SDN, network automation, and SD-WAN, there are a lot of things evolving.

I have really appreciated the journey I have gotten out of all of this valuable knowledge, and I don't regret spending all that time at all. My focus now lies in shifting towards the future of networking, therefore I will be moving towards getting really great at building automation frameworks. I really enjoy networking, but I enjoy the evolving technology aspects more, and really see potential in their future use, and foresee it becoming a significant impact on how things are done.

CCIE may still be for some, and I'm not going to knock anyone for that. Is networking going away anytime soon? In the next five years, I believe there will be a downtrend, but not to the level most think. The information is still very valuable, and it will need to be known for many years to come. The infrastructure needs refresh before you can really implement such systems. Even then, many of these abstractions are still in their infancy and have yet to mature.

I want to be a part of that maturing project, and involved in making it what it is. Patents, innovation, and efficiency are three things I cherish, and I'm not missing out on this iteration.

If you're interested in seeing the public side of my evolving technologies progress, PM me here, and I can send you my Github or you can find me on one of the typical network automation channels on Slack.

Thank you for all the support. This community has provided me a method of accountability I will appreciate for years to come.
  • Options
    williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At first I think this is sad to hear, but ultimately it's what's right for you and your family that matters the most.

I don't think the knowledge of routing and switching will be devalued in any way over our lifetime. I do believe though, as you do, that it will change in how it is implemented. Like IPv6 (maybe a little faster lol) it is creeping into the networking industry.

Reading your last post I don't think it has as much to do with the change coming in networking, but more so related to doing what you enjoy the most. Best of luck to you and take care.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • Options
    SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck on your new journey. This was a great read and it not only motivates me more in my pursuit in networking but it also opened up my eyes as to how expansive this world is. I hope to be taking this exam sometime after I graduate and will be referencing this thread for study info.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise