Options

What did you screw up at work today?

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
I clicked on a company sponsored Phishing campaign email link, you would think the Cyber Security guy would know better. I'm sure I'll get a call from my manager soon to tell me what a dumb ass I am.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    FIRED!!! icon_smile.gif

I am curious, what made you click on it (looks like it came from a known source, required immediate action, etc.)
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I clicked on a company sponsored Phishing campaign email link, you would think the Cyber Security guy would know better. I'm sure I'll get a call from my manager soon to tell me what a dumb ass I am.

I hope Trump doesn't say his famous last words! :)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ TechGromit

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fixed a problem and didn't tell anybody.

I don't market myself. lol
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    We had Upgrades/Updates the other day. I had the wrong work instruction printed out for Java. oops
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    FIRED!!! icon_smile.gif

I am curious, what made you click on it (looks like it came from a known source, required immediate action, etc.)

It was something about the election and the link was what political parties the company recommends you vote for. I guess curiosity that the company would recommend specific candidates, I really didn't notice the big [external] stamp on the email header. Usually I don't get caught by phishing campaigns, but I can't claim to be perfect. It's the old being right 99% of the time and the 1% your wrong you get compromised.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    LOL, I did this too. There was a merger and the company was sending us all kinds of information about it. One of them was a supposed news article on the company, but it was part of their phishing campaign.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This wasn't something at work but I screwed up by not listening to the messages on my personal phone for a week. I had messages from three different job offers, which I will now have to call back to see if they are still trying to fill positions.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am guilty of the phishing plant too. It was a link to a document about my timecard so I clicked on it. It said there was an issue with it that I needed to address ASAP. Learned real quick not to do that again. I had to complete phishing training for that one...lol. The thing that made it so convincing was that it was from one of the people in our company that had sent stuff out before. In hindsight the only thing that was suspicious was that it was a spreadsheet. Realized afterwards that it was peculiar.

Another time I was testing Bacula on our Linux web server and had just over 100GB free on my partition and the backup was about 50GB so for testing I backed it up to itself. Did this 2 days in a row. The 3rd day our MRP was down. Didn't think it through that after my 1st backup the partition was now about 100GB and only a few GB left. The 2nd night it ran out of space and locked up. oooops
  • Options
    winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    permissions on splunk field extractions. couldn't understand why I could see events, but my chart command wouldn't work. me=rookie
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□

And this is the problem, when trained professionals click on links or documents there is a major security hole, ripe for exploitation. "Security through admonishment" will only take you so far, and eventually it will fail. Why more organizations don't completely block email links/attachments is beyond me - I guess whatever it is they want to protect isn't very important or valuable. If it was, there would be more care to actually block them, instead of relying on human beings (with all of their human nature/error) to be 100% vigilant, which is bound to fail.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Volunteer for all and any additional projects and I quote "even give me the projects no on wants". Next thing I know, I get stuck taking out hard drives of computers for turn in, inventory them above standard, then get called in about them on my day off.

I asked and I received a crappy extra detail on the weekend. Can't complain too much, hopefully they see me as "dependable" or as that guy that does all the crappy projects lol.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    Klein2442Klein2442 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Out of some kind of miracle......Nothing....
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually some slight grammatical error that some English major trying to break into IT corrects me on. Or that day I used a valid dangling participle.

The horrors!

- b/eads
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Not me but our Architect deleted the DMVPN peer IP. Took down a lot of people in a lot of countries outside a change window.
    Oops.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, so this isn't a technical slip but when I was at a conference last week I was talking to someone I just met about training people at work new ideas, or something like that. So I said, 'yep, you can lead a dog to water but you can't make them drink'. Then he said, 'what about a horse' and i said, 'I don't own a horse'.....oh my gosh what an idiot.
  • Options
    EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114

At least your employer cares about security. My employer (a really big multinational IT company) has outsourced all kinds of functions (HR, travel, expenses, etc.), and as a result I receive numerous unsolicited emails from external email addresses in broken English which my employer expects me to open and respond to.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Couple weeks back did a reload on a branch router instead of the one on my desk that I was configuring. woopsy
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    man trap went nuts and I was stuck inside for a bit ....... very embarrassing
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Clicked on the windows update on a production server. I hate when I do that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    brewboy wrote: »
    Couple weeks back did a reload on a branch router instead of the one on my desk that I was configuring. woopsy

Yea we had one of those, the guy was trying to configure an interface for VioP, and was on the wrong interface. Took down a core router interface that took the entire site down, including his remote connection, He had to run over to another building on the site where the switch room was to fix the interface locally. He no longer working there. Unfortunately some screw ups are resume generating events.
  • Options
    ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea we had one of those, the guy was trying to configure an interface for VioP, and was on the wrong interface. Took down a core router interface that took the entire site down, including his remote connection, He had to run over to another building on the site where the switch room was to fix the interface locally. He no longer working there. Unfortunately some screw ups are resume generating events.

Everyone makes silly mistakes from time to time. If he sorted out the issue and doesn't repeat it, I'm not sure why it was warranted to fire the guy.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722

I read a paper a while ago about this exact problem where people who should know better click on these links, and even when people know it is a scam still go through it. Basically, it puts a knife through the whole "educate the user" approach to protecting against social engineering. Defence in depth, people.... or just cut off everyone's fingers.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    ekoplex wrote: »
    Everyone makes silly mistakes from time to time. If he sorted out the issue and doesn't repeat it, I'm not sure why it was warranted to fire the guy.

No he did get fired after this one incident, but he got a LOT of attention from management. Later during a switch replacement, he looped a switch and the broadcast storm took down the wireless network. I think it was about three months after the core switch event before they finally canned him.
  • Options
    TechxWizardTechxWizard Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The bosses heavy duty Sharp MX 4111n Copier had a misfeed and stop working.
    Ive dealt with printers and thought I could take it apart and fix this simple issue.
    As Im diagnosing the issue. the machine making loud noises and whatnot.
    (so i decided to wheel it to my area for the time being to work on it and not disturb the office)
    As im wheeling it across the hall. 3 wheels give out. just me luck. this heavy thing just murdered the hardwood floors. So i get a hand truck to finish the move. once I unload it form the handtruck.
    I noticed i cracked the LCD display and this model happens to be touchscreen... breaking the news to the boss was not fun.... but I still have a job.