Options

NTFS Effective Permissions Question

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Okay, say you have a question that says: Sales group has permission Read on Sales Folder. Your user account has been given the permission Write. What are your effective permissions? And if the choices for answers include: Read, Write, Read and Write, Full Control.

The correct answer it said was: Read and Write. I said it was just Write. Because it is already applied that Write also has the Read permissions, so couldnt the answer me just Write, instead of Read and Write?

Thanks for your guys help.

PS: I need response fast, i'm going to take my 70-270 tomorrow afternoon, and i want to be peace at mind, that i know the right answer to this type question before i go take exam

Comments

• Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    First of all, NTFS permissions are cumulative. This means that a user's effective permissions are the result of combining the user's assigned permissions and the permissions assigned to any groups that the user is a member of. For instance, if a user is assigned Read access to a specific file, and a group that the user account is a member of has the Write permissions assigned, the user is allowed the Read and Write NTFS permission to that file.

check this out also
    http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    I know but why would it be Read and Write, and not just Write?

Does Write permission not also include the Read permissions?

Say the question said a user had Read and also Modify permissions on the folder, and what are the effective permissions, in this case why would it be just Modify not Read and Modify ?
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    that is correct. Just modify. I don't think you should have this problem on the exam. My exam didn't have read+modify as the answer, just modify.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    the difference is that Modify includes the Read, Read & Execute, and Write permissions.
    Write on the other hand doesn't include Read, so even if you have write access to the file, you won't be able to read it.
    witty comment
  • Options
    12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    _omni_ wrote:
    the difference is that Modify includes the Read, Read & Execute, and Write permissions.
    Write on the other hand doesn't include Read, so even if you have write access to the file, you won't be able to read it.

According to the infomation listed on Tech Exams website. The WRITE permission does include READ . My first response would be READ & WRITE for effective permissions , but after looking at the below response , I'm not so sure.

http://techexams.net/technotes/xp/administration.shtml

One of the main reasons to use NTFS is the possibility to assign permissions for individual files and folders. Each file and folder on an NTFS volume contains an Access Control List (ACL). This list is filled with entries for groups and individual user accounts and their corresponding permissions. When a user tries to access a resource, Windows XP checks the ACL if the user is listed and what level of permission is assigned.

The following permissions can be assigned for files and folders:

Read Allows user read files and list the contents of folders, subfolders and volumes, including the attributes, permissions and ownership of the files.

Write Allows the same as Read and additionally allows the user to modify and create files and (sub-)folders as well as changing attributes.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    12mcken wrote:
    _omni_ wrote:

According to the infomation listed on Tech Exams website. The WRITE permission does include READ . My first response would be READ & WRITE for effective permissions , but after looking at the below response , I'm not so sure.

http://techexams.net/technotes/xp/administration.shtml

One of the main reasons to use NTFS is the possibility to assign permissions for individual files and folders. Each file and folder on an NTFS volume contains an Access Control List (ACL). This list is filled with entries for groups and individual user accounts and their corresponding permissions. When a user tries to access a resource, Windows XP checks the ACL if the user is listed and what level of permission is assigned.

The following permissions can be assigned for files and folders:

Read Allows user read files and list the contents of folders, subfolders and volumes, including the attributes, permissions and ownership of the files.

Write Allows the same as Read and additionally allows the user to modify and create files and (sub-)folders as well as changing attributes.

Wow, did you realize you just dug up a post from April of 2006? icon_lol.gif

Either answer is correct when taken in context. Normally, when you assign the "write" permission, that implies "read" as well, since by default read/execute, list, and read are selected - so when you also select "write", that's an additional permission. However, as _omni_ points out, you can go back and deselect everything except "write", which means you can write to a file or folder without being able to read it. This is useful in some cases like a script that logs a user's activity. However, there is no way to select "modify" and then deselect read/write/list - try and see what happens, the "modify" permission disappears if you do.

The real difference lies in the fact that "Modify" gives you everything that "Full Control" does - except for "Take Ownership" and "Change Permissions" permissions.

Hope that helps! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    12mcken12mcken Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Wow, did you realize you just dug up a post from April of 2006? icon_lol.gif

Either answer is correct when taken in context. Normally, when you assign the "write" permission, that implies "read" as well, since by default read/execute, list, and read are selected - so when you also select "write", that's an additional permission. However, as _omni_ points out, you can go back and deselect everything except "write", which means you can write to a file or folder without being able to read it. This is useful in some cases like a script that logs a user's activity. However, there is no way to select "modify" and then deselect read/write/list - try and see what happens, the "modify" permission disappears if you do.

The real difference lies in the fact that "Modify" gives you everything that "Full Control" does - except for "Take Ownership" and "Change Permissions" permissions.

Hope that helps! icon_cool.gif

Thanks. icon_smile.gif Since I was on the NTFS section in my studies, I thought about revisiting the Tech exam site for any tips to reinforce NTFS perm's concepts. It always helps to have additional sources.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    addition:
    modify=read&execute + write + delete