Options

Any Service Desk Managers in here ?

tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
If so any interview advice ? Common questions/situations, anything ?

Comments

• Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I spent many years in the Service Desk game, everything from tech, to supervisor/manager, to account management and beyond. While tech skills are required, you want to put an emphasis on your soft skills... I would rather hire a non-technical person with great soft skills than the greatest technical mind in the world with no people skills. You can teach the technical aspect of SD way easier than you can teach the softskills
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree service desk is all about customer service, release management, change management.

I found the hardest part is keeping in synch with the other technical teams. Team A would release something and boom it would break user authentication to email or something. The service desk would get flooded with calls, the abandonment rate would balloon and then once the metrics were compiled at the end of the month you got roasted, because of some other dumb arse team.

My suggestion would be to understand where the service desk sits and how to prevent these happenings.

You'll get asked a question about service desk, I would mention managing relationships with the other IT teams. That IMO is the biggest value add a manager can have to a service desk.

If this is the direction you want to go OP, I would consider getting the ITIL Foundation Certification. As much as I am against this abomination of a certification, it does have MAJOR pull in this space.