Options

Moving roles - dealing with difficult boss

I'm due to move roles to another dept in 12 weeks.

I was interviewed for the role 2 weeks ago and was offered a start as soon as my current team would release me. So I notified my current boss that the interview had been successful so could he arrange release on my behalf with the operations manager (my bosses line manager).

I was told that I would have to wait 12 weeks as I hadn't been in my current role long enough for release sooner.

A few days ago I bumped into the operations manager at the coffee machine, asked if I could have a quick chat and explained my situation and asked if there was any chance of being released earlier. Ops manager stated it could be possible to arrange a transition period, spending 2 days in New role and 3 in existing and if that goes well then maybe move full time in 8 weeks. Great I thought! So I told my line manager this morning..........not so great!

I explained the conversation I had had with ops, his response to me was 'don't believe a word they say, ops always lie'. I asked if he could just make an official request for transition, he said he would, but not to hold out any hope of it. I explained ops had already told me verbally yes, response from line manager was 'don't believe them'!!

So advice from here please? I don't feel that he's going to make any effort to get a transition period in place. I don't even believe he will ask on my behalf tbh.

Should I give it a few days and ask him directly if he's arranged anything for me? Or give it a few days and go directly to his line manager and ask if a request had been put in on my behalf?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just wait the 12 weeks and not burn any internal bridges.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    12 weeks... that sounds like some bull. You're not even "required" to give a 2 weeks notice really... but if you're moving to an internal position, what does it matter? If it was external I would put in 2 weeks and say Good luck.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Exactly. Standard release for internal is 4 weeks but they also want employees to stay in initial role for 9 months before moving internally. Understandable, as the dept that initially hired me want a ROI.

If I felt that my line manager was doing his best to get me promoted I wouldn't mind so much but it's coming across as if he's not going to do anything to help me progress
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Lots of companies have these types of rules for internal transfers. I've waited a few months myself. If you're moving to another company thats a different story.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If they have a rule that you need to stay in your position for at least nine months, and it's been less than nine months, then you're just 'the new person' being pushy right now. Wait until an appropriate time to bring it up again.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How long have you been working for this company? Usually the best source for this information is the HR policies. Contact your HR person or read the policy on your intranet that mentions how transfers are handled. Once you have that you will have a better idea on how to proceed. Usually though people do wait.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know you don't want to wait but I would not risk burning any internal bridges. I have not experienced that myself, but I have coworkers who have done it and it created problems for them down the road. That being said, in my previous position there was a lot of tension between departments. Based on what you said though, your current boss doesn't have the best of feelings about the department you are transferring to.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I switched positions internally and they took over 6 months to find my replacement. I was not allowed to start any of the new work until my replacement was hired and trained. While not the same situation as yours, these things happen. Just stick it out for the 12 weeks.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In the long run, it isn't that big of a deal just wait it out. Typically, in these situations, people aren't even allowed to bid on a job unless they qualify to move into it immediately. At least that has been my experience.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”