Received interview...by stretching the TRUTH...

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I have this interview coming up and I applied through indeed and as you may be aware indeed will ask questions that the employer will probably set up for interview process.

Exp:

Do you have 1 year of experience?
Yes or No?
Etc.

Anyways, one question was do you have a bachelor? I answered Yes.

Yet, it was the semi-truth. I do have a bachelor, yet it isn't in a technical field. (I start WGU this December) It was listed on my resume what I majored in. It is a locally owned business, though and I believe I meet the owner this weekend.

The title is IT Operations Manager and the expectations are pretty simple such as perform troubleshooting desktops and printers, network devices, install new software, etc..

The only thing that I have zero knowledge in is 'Office365 account management, Offfsite File Server Backups and Server Management...'

What and where can I research this information to not go in blindly? What is a good pay rate also? Have I shot myself in the foot?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Did the question ask if you had an IT related BS or just a BS?
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Do you have a bachelor?" was the question.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is not a semi-truth then. In regards to O365 the Microsoft Virtual Academy has a plethora of stuff for Office 365. You can easily get an overview of the platform there. There's also a ton of YouTube and Udemy courses covering this. You can google it and literally thousands of good resources will come up that will help you gain some basic understanding.

The one thing you must not do is try to BS your way through the interview. If you are just aware of some technology, say so. Never try to make stuff up.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, if you have a Bachelor's degree, then it's not a "semi-truth", its the truth. Doesn't matter the major you got it in.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^
    Agreed.
    (and you probably have the student-loans to prove it!)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    Anyways, one question was do you have a bachelor? I answered Yes.

If you have a BS, then you have a BS, it's not lying. I wouldn't volunteer that it's not an IT BS, unless they ask.
    The title is IT Operations Manager and the expectations are pretty simple such as perform troubleshooting desktops and printers, network devices, install new software, etc..

That's it? Has IT OPS manager roles slipped so much in IT? When I worked in operations, the OP manager handled management of staff, creating accounts, managing access, writing queries, enforcing security, while my manager had the knowledge to fix desktops and printers, I can't really recall him do any of that work.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this in Dallas ?
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    If you have a BS, then you have a BS, it's not lying. I wouldn't volunteer that it's not an IT BS, unless they ask.

That's it? Has IT OPS manager roles slipped so much in IT? When I worked in operations, the OP manager handled management of staff, creating accounts, managing access, writing queries, enforcing security, while my manager had the knowledge to fix desktops and printers, I can't really recall him do any of that work.

IMO, all depends on the company. I have found that the titles and duties are all different depending on the company. ex. VP of IT has duties of a support manager. just all depends. Only reason I say this is I am in a hard job search and have seen it listed out there.
    tmtex wrote: »
    Is this in Dallas ?

Nope....It's in the Southeast
    TechGromit wrote: »

It just seems to be the duties of whatever the owner needs. One of the bullet points is 'change digital signage when necessary.'
    One person on another forum told me I won't technically be an IT Operations Manager, since I won't be receiving direct reports, and I told him to elaborate.
    The title you mentioned was "IT Operations Manager". Technically you are only a manager if you have direct reports aka people working for you. It is very common for small businesses to use the "Manager" title incorrectly to make it sound more enticing or alluring when in reality it means you will be responsible for about 3 individual jobs as one (SysAdmin, Desktop Support and Management) for only the lowest salary (typically Desktop Support levels).
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You did not lie, unless the specifically asked for a BS in regard to computer science.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a BS in BS

...was what I once heard...
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You didn't lie,you omitted information. I do it all the time.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One person on another forum told me I won't technically be an IT Operations Manager, since I won't be receiving direct reports, and I told him to elaborate.
    I'm an IT Manager and I have zero staff, I specifically state in my resume that I am a one man IT shop.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some companies have a policy where the employee needs a Bachelor's degree to work there. Doesn't matter what area the degree was in. It could just be a checkbox the company has to fill. I know a Fortune 500 company I worked at previously had that exact policy.