Annoying email problen

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
So we are using Office 2016. One user called to say that his emails are stuck in his outbox. I tried using send and receive and restarting his outlook, but now the emails have disappeared. I ran scanpst.exe that repaired some issues, but the emails have completely gone. Anyone come across this before? If so, what`s the fix? I have a very angry user on my case.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Are there any error messages? Check the settings for the server..Reboot the email server (if you have access). Also, are there any other users having the same issue (if this a office setting)?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dfranc wrote: »
    So we are using Office 2016. One user called to say that his emails are stuck in his outbox. I tried using send and receive and restarting his outlook, but now the emails have disappeared. I ran scanpst.exe that repaired some issues, but the emails have completely gone. Anyone come across this before? If so, what`s the fix? I have a very angry user on my case.

So, are you using POP or IMAP...OR Exchange? Since you said PST, you are probably using POP/IMAP. Because Exch has OST files.
    Check your outgoing email server authentication & SSL port settings. Retype the authenticating pwd in Outlook for that email account or reset the email account pwd...OR simply remove all the settings & start over...add the account again. I haven't used 2016 yet...but I am sure the settings are similar to previous versions.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try with this tool: MFCMAPI - Download: October 2016 Release
    I've used it a couple of time to recover mail that were not visible in Outlook but still there.
  • dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We are using hosted email. contacted them and they cant do anything. Since then, the user has resent the emails, but made it clear they are not happy, like its my fault! Ah the joys of IT. Everyone`s best friend when nothing goes wrong, worst enemy when something does go wrong!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I would get another host then, they could at least look into it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like scaredoftests said, time to go with a new host. If they can't be bothered to figure it out, cut the contract. That's bullcrap if you ask me. In regards to you helping them, did you see the e-mails in their outbox? Or did they just say they were in there. I know most of the time, the user is correct, but often, they are not.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I have users calling me for mail support all the time and they use Apple Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook 2010-2016. Most of the time its user error and they're sending to the wrong email address or have their mail client configured improperly. The difference is I have insight to all of our infrastructure and can actually validate if there is an issue and how widespread it may be as well as being able to track mail within the network to our adjacent network's gateway.

Normaly, if its one user having issues its a user error. However, any time you have issues with a hosted service provider, you need to call them right away to log a support case to cover yourself. You can always shift the blame to them, so you don't look like the bad guy.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    use OWA and see if its in there
  • dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I did see about 9 emails in his outbox. He has since resent them. Still annoying though.