Options

How did you get your first network engineering job?

It seem like you can't get a job without experience, and then you can't get experience with out a job. I'm curious "how did you guys get your first Networking Engineer job?" How did it all started? I want to get my first job as Network Engineer one day. Please share your story. Please give me some advice. :)

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to focus on what you can control and also stop listening to people who say you can't do something because they can't. So that means really polish your resume/CV and interviewing skills. You need to be technically better than candidates with experience, that's how you make up for the lack of experience. If you go for CCNA R&S make sure you know it like the back of your hand. Don't half ass it and hope to pass.

You want CCNA R&S as the bare minimum, ideally you want a couple and maybe even a CCNP. Don't listen to people who say don't get a certain cert because it's worthless without experience. That's bull. Extra knowledge is never worthless. You want to go into the interview and leave them speechless, and if you do your homework your salary expectations will be a bit lower than the average for the position, so you'll also have the bargain hire going for you as well.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Find a job supporting networks. Get some hands on. Then find someone to let you engineer theirs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not entirely sure on your current work experience. I got my break into touching networking equipment by just showing interest at work. Often there's a network guy who doesn't want to do a mundane task each day, and would rather pass it down to someone else. If you're currently in an IT position, make friends with the network guys. If you aren't currently in an IT position, I would recommend studying for the Network+ exam. Working with networking devices and reading books sparked a massive interest for me. Before you know it you'll be looking at 24u racks (or bigger) for your home because you've bought so many routers/switches off eBay. Although... that might just be me that did that :) I have a true passion for networking and networking hardware.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got hired as a network engineer a few months ago after being in IT for a little less than two years. I knew that I wanted to be a network engineer, so I took steps that I thought would make it happen ASAP. Here are a few tips that I think helped for me:

- Got my Sec+
    - Got my CCNA (as well as consistent labbing to stay sharp)
    - Be willing to move
    - Apply for as many jobs as you can all over the country (Don't worry too much about job requirements)
    - Be confident in your interview (Best advice I ever got was "fake it 'til you make it." This goes along with the last point, but if you don't know how to do something, just know that you're smart enough to learn it and work your ass off to understand it until you don't have to 'fake it' anymore.)
    - Make it happen! Don't sit back and wait for it to happen to you. (Kinda fits with the last point as well)

I also think there is some amount of luck involved to finding an opportunity (right place/right time). I feel like I was pretty lucky because my job requires someone with Sec+ and CCNA, but it is in a relatively rural area, so they probably didn't have a ton of people with 5+ years of experience knocking on their door.

Also, once you get the job, keep being hungry. I am constantly looking to pick up as much work as I can so I can continue to learn. You will look like a rockstar to your employer and it will only benefit you. I will be at my current job at least until I get my CCNP and some more experience under my belt and then I will job hop again, hopefully for another sizable increase in pay.

Overall I guess all I can say is work your ass off and believe that you can do it!
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took a bit of luck.