Options

Online Grammar Checker

mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey everyone
I'll be starting my MBA at WGU in a few weeks and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a reliable grammar checker that will proofread my papers. I've read a lot about Grammarly and was thinking about signing up but wanted to know if anyone had any first-hand experience with that or any other software.

Thanks
Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)

Comments

• Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had no problems in grad school in the early 00s using the onboard grammar/spelling checker in MS Word. I do remember having to change my writing from passive to active because one of my more worthless instructors seemed to care more about grammar than content....

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Lots of people at my company use Grammarly and for the most part it seems to do a very good job.
    Just make sure to reread what you wrote once it adjusts it.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    My WGU mentor recommended Grammarly to me without having seen any of my prose. I work as a technical editor in my day job, so I probably won't be using Grammarly---out of pride.

@NavyMooseCCNA I'm sure the instructor meant well. I read a lot of passive voice all day long. It's easy to fix, but it reflects badly on the writer.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Grammarly has a very good plugin for Chrome and I actually used it on this forum all the time. If you have identified your usage and grammar skills are not up to par like I have, make sure to continue to learn the skill like it would be an IT skill and don't use Grammarly as a crutch but a tool that will improve your ability to write.
  • Options
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    Grammarly has a very good plugin for Chrome and I actually used it on this forum all the time. If you have identified your usage and grammar skills are not up to par like I have, make sure to continue to learn the skill like it would be an IT skill and don't use Grammarly as a crutch but a tool that will improve your ability to write.

Mitechniq
    Thank you for your input. Did you buy it for the year or quarterly? Was there a way that you were able to get it for cheaper? I find the price a little steep at the moment
  • Options
    For anyone who is interested, I received a promotion from Grammarly for 40% off their plans through Sunday. I'm likely going to sign up for it and see how I like it.
    Will update after I've used it for a few days.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I had no problems in grad school in the early 00s using the onboard grammar/spelling checker in MS Word. I do remember having to change my writing from passive to active because one of my more worthless instructors seemed to care more about grammar than content....

I remember that about Word. It seemed to have an unhealthy aversion to the passive voice. The problem is that the passive voice has a place, and rewording everything into "active" voice can make things a lot worse. It makes me wonder if the MS view on grammar has had a distorting effect on language generally. Things like that make me generally suspicious of any automated grammar checker. Usually I know what I mean, and I'm not going to argue about it with a computer program.

I'd say you'd be better off with a couple of decent reference books and some self confidence. And if in doubt, make it shorter and simpler. You're less likely to make mistakes and​ it makes it easier to read.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »

I'd say you'd be better off with a couple of decent reference books and some self confidence. And if in doubt, make it shorter and simpler. You're less likely to make mistakes and it makes it easier to read.

Totally agree with you there. I find that as I re-write things with the intention of making smaller sentences, my writing appears much clearer
  • Options
    Giv2Giv2 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yup. I personally have used and am using Grammarly. I think the best feature about Grammarly is its Chrome Extention that integrates with every text editor that you open online and corrects you like it just did while typing this comment.
    It even integrates with other online tools that I use such as Cram when I'm creating flashcards for my classroom activities. It would be embarrassing otherwise if my students point out the glitch in my work right?