Options

Knowledge Feels Scattered - Looking for Study Tips (ICND1)

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
I've been trying to find a good study plan for the ICND1. The problem is I find myself reading material and thinking "I know that, I know that... I don't know that." My knowledge from previous studying is very scattered. For example, I can configure an intervlan LAN with a router on a stick to route to the vlans on different subnets while configuring the switches with all the necessary basic setup configuration as well as switchport modes, port security, configuring ssh v2, etc. Yet I feel like there are things that I don't remember as well from the "basics" ie, some of the things that happen at the Transport Layer or things such as performing password recovery or the boot sequence of routers and switches.

Do I just read what I'm weak on knowledge-wise or do I start at beginning again? I feel like I know a good amount about the OSI model and could easy gloss over a couple of different layers to feel satisfied with that knowledge. At the same time, reading routing concepts then going back and reading about layer 4 PDUs leave me feeling a bit scattered. On the other hand, starting from chapter 1 when you're capable of subnetting and performing route summarizations in your head seems like a waste of time.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Options
    johny123johny123 Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I suggest you start from the beginning, reviewing what you know, and covering what you don't from cover to cover.
  • Options
    WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd recommend looking at the exam blue print and doing pratice exams to find your knowledge gaps. The same thing happened to me with ICND1, when I got to the end I forgot a lot of the basics but it doesn't take too long to job your memory if you learned it all properly the first time round. Are you using the offical cert guide by Odom?