CEH in 1 Month 18/12/16

24912152491215 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

I am new here and so far I have Network+ (August 16) & Security+ (September 16).

I have my CEH exam booked for a month so any advice on what I have covered so far would be great (and if it is enough).

- I have done the v8 material from Skillsoft, this was sooooo dry it took a lot of effort to finish.
- I have the CEH v9 Sybex study notes (Not very indepth so am thinking of the AIO version 9)
- I have also started a free account with Skillset but these questions are pretty different to most of the stuff I have studied so got me a bit worried. Is it worth paying for the pro version?
- I found the Professor Messer Security+ Study Guide really handy and well worth the $10 but I cant find something similar for the CEH. Are there any others that would be worth buying? I usually make my own but I like to see others.
- I googled CEH **** sheets and got the usual ones.
- The CBT Nuggets seem quite good but I do not have an account and it would not be fair to torrent them

One thing I have found is that the recommended tools are a nightmare, there are hundreds in the official materials so its hard to keep track of them all. I hear that hping3, subnetting, nmap and wireshark can feature heavily on the exams so I want to nail those down. As for most of the other tools it feels like an advertising platform, loads of the websites are down and I had to resort to a virtual machine to install all the junk on to save bloating out my main rig.

Also does anyone use Anki flash cards? I find it really helpful for rapid recall and try to do 250 cards a day from 3000+ I have made. I can post a link if anyone wants to give it a go. I would share mine but they may seem a bit random to most and they take a lot of effort to put together unless someone else has put some together I would be happy to trade with.

There is a boat load of info to digest but I am a pretty quick study so any tips would be welcome, it sounds like the Boston exams would be worth purchasing.

I am pretty calm in exams so I just want to give myself the best chance of succeeding without spending a fortune so any tips would be great. Also how much time would you commit to it each day? I work a 60 hour week at the moment (sales icon_cry.gif) which was ok when I was doing the CompTIA ones but this is on another level, I think I can squeeze about 3 hours per day to condense and refine and I hope this is enough.

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Believe you can get a week trial of CBT Nuggets for free.
  • 24912152491215 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK thanks I will hit that up the week before my exam ;)

Thanks for the tip
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As far as I remember when I took the exam, you not only need to read the book, but you must at least have some competency on the tools (Wireshark, cain & abel among many others) because there will be screenshots of the various tools and you will need to identify what is going on. I don't think the study guides will help you in that regard.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • XLIIXLII Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend the newest Matt Walker AIO (Third Edition) and the Boson Exam Environment. I would disregard the rest and focus on these two since you're scheduled for a month out and they're so much easier than the other material to get through. I also tried a lot of those other materials that you listed but I feel that if I could go back, it would just be the AIO and Boson for me. The AIO comes with some decent practice questions but I was really impressed by the quality of Boson. I found the actual test to be easier. In addition, the Boson has like 500 questions and seems to be very accurate. If you read all of the explanations to the questions and understand why the answers are what they are, you should have a really good chance of passing the exam. Don't even dare try to drown yourself in the billions of tools. Just learn the top 2-3 for each topic and call it good. The questions about tools that I got were not complex but yeah you should know Nmap flags, syntax, and output as well as Wireshark output and filtering. It would be a good idea to brush up on hping and subnetting (especially finding network and broadcast addresses) although I didn't get any subnetting questions and only a couple on hping. My experience was that the questions about the tools were mostly pretty basic and they weren't nearly as numerous as I had expected. I did use iLabs from the offical ECC resources which was pretty good but you're safe to attempt the exam with your home lab or you may be able to pull it off with no lab really. Three hours a day for a month should be plenty considering your current level. If you can spare a little more time on your days off, that wouldn't hurt but probably wouldn't make or break either.
    Ok thanks guys thats really helpful. Boson it is then :)
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    lol I wonder what happened... Did you managed CEH in 1 month? How did you find the test?
    meh
    Not done it yet as its in December.. I will let you know. I have studied part time for about 1.5 months so it will be 2.5 months total
  • nokourinokouri Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've done some reasearch regarding which book to read and the consensus seems to be CEH v9: Certified Ethical Hacker Version 9 Study Guide 3rd Edition. If you do have time, get it from amazon, I'm loving it so far.
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am going to send a +1 here for the Boson exam sim's. I bought this a few days before my CEH, and I wished I had bought it a few weeks before instead. For my the AIO book, Boson, and Cybrary were the best resources for me. Cybrary helped me brush up on some command line stuff, the AIO book helped me build a higher level knowledge, and the Boson sim got me thinking in test mode (and helped big time with the regulations portion of the test)
    Passed this badboy today :) Did not use the Boson Exam Sims which was risky but it worked out fine!
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    2491215 wrote: »
    Passed this badboy today :) Did not use the Boson Exam Sims which was risky but it worked out fine!

So what did you end up studying?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]