Options

17yr old studying for 901!

Adam15Adam15 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello people! Today I have began my study for the 901 test. I am currently 17 years old and I have a few questions:
1. Is it normal for people my age to study/take the CompTIA A+ tests?
2. Im currently using ProfessorMesser... Is there any awesome websites that will be a bit more interactive, with questions or scenarios? (I don't plan on stopping ProfessorMesser, just a second site)

Thank you!!!!icon_study.gif-icon_thumright.gif-:)

Comments

• Options
    NuxNux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're way ahead of me, man. I am ancient and just now prepping for my A+. I have been checking out IT Pro TV. It's not free, but I enjoy it. It has virtual labs, too. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Adam15Adam15 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendation! Best of luck too you too.
  • Options
    Falls_TechFalls_Tech Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A couple of resources I used............

Dave Prowse, Exam Cram, 901/902 Practice Questions. 8 exams total that are downloaded onto your hard drive. which means you can print out individual questions. so if its something your struggling with, print it out. I got mine off of Amazon for $17.

Professor Messer pdf questions. hundreds of questions for $10. But its all about hands on. Whatever the question is talking about open it up on your pc. Know the different ways to get to it and what all the tabs do. I even printed off some screen shots to help memorize everything.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm hoping my opinions and experiences will be useful for you.

I earned my A+ Certification way back in the day when CompTIA had two A+ tracks: DOS/Windows and Mac. I had just turned 17 when I passed both exams (Hardware and Software), and that was the only certification I had for many years. I had plenty of education when I decided to take computer repair seriously, as I worked at RadioShack for 7 years while amassing 3 Associate's Degrees in Computer Repair, Cisco Networking, and Windows 2000 Networking. I missed getting my CCNA by around 2 points when I was 18, and I pretty much gave up on myself.

If I were able to do it all over again, I would have spent as much time as possible getting more of the credentials I've earned up to today. If I did, I would have all my accomplishments, but would be 7 years younger. That would make me much more valuable in the workplace. Today, I am partially unemployed as a part-time IT instructor at night, with my day-job as a Systems Administrator being outsourced to India. Although I have numerous degrees and certifications, I have a hard time showing practical work experience in the multitudes of technologies that are out there day. So my advice to you is be sure this is what you want to do ($400 for a single certification is a lot of money if you are paying yourself, if you pass both tests on the first try). If it is, don't let your age define you... your achievements do.

Sorry if I'm being preachy... I've gotten that in the four years of being an IT instructor.

As far as materials, Professor Messer is what I recommend to all my students. If you are ok with spending money on resources, Mike Myers has a set of videos on Udemy, although I don't know how much he is currently charging, nor do I have any feedback on the courses themselves. I did used to teach A+ based off his previous book for the 801/802 exams, which were very good. One thing to note with the new A+ objectives is that you have to know Mac OS, Linux, and mobile devices (Android, IOS, and Windows Mobile).

Best of luck!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In reply to your questions...

1. Whether you think it's normal or not, the A+ is a great start in the long journey ahead that is IT. At least you are showing initiative among people of your age group.
    2. I took the A+ ages ago and it was a mix of professorMesser and the Mcgraw-Hill books by Mike Meyers. The practice test that came with the book was all that was needed to pass the test.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Adam15 wrote: »
    1. Is it normal for people my age to study/take the CompTIA A+ tests?

While taking a Cisco training course there was a 16 year old kid there who have earned his CCNA already, I also know an 18 year old who's got his CCNA and is now working on his CCNP. So I'd say it's not unheard of but you're not the majority either. In saying that, without experience a lot of this knowledge can quickly evaporate. This generally correlates with why people who are older generally get certifications, once you're in the industry you have a need to attain them.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    you are not crazy. there are loads of indians and pakistanis that are under 20 with MCSE, CCNP, CCIE etc.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree