Options

How did you feel about the A+?

NuxNux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for the A+, but it's surprisingly the hardest for me to focus on. It's very Windows-focused and I was always more into OS X and the *nix command line. The networking stuff seems to come easier for me than the Windows-specific stuff and the internal components things. Anyone ever have to fight their way over this hurdle?

Anyway, I will study it until I get through it and over it. Wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    I know what you mean, I started studying today, Im studying each exam individually. I prefer MacOS myself tbh and only use Windows at work. If you are looking for a study budy I'd be up for that, staying motivated is quite hard.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah ive been studying off and on for months now, the massive 1200 page books on it are sooo discouraging.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    @Trucido Prowses exam cram is about 500 pages and covers both exams. I cant read Mike Meyers book too much fluff. GTS learning books are also good and cover the exams in two books one for 901 and one for 902
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The A+ is a pain. However if your new to IT it has a lot of useful information in it. I ended up just throwing on some music and grinding every day on it for a couple months. It wasn't pleasant but I don't regret doing it one bit.
  • Options
    ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't enjoy the A+, and didn't even bother reading the overkill Mike Meyers book I purchased. After passing both exams, I still felt like an amateur/novice. I moved onto something more challenging afterwards, the CCNA.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nux wrote: »
    I've been studying for the A+, but it's surprisingly the hardest for me to focus on. It's very Windows-focused and I was always more into OS X and the *nix command line..

A few years ago I committed myself to A+ and I smashed through the first 80% of the book in a few days. Once I hit the Windows stuff I completely fell off the bandwagon and never ended up getting the certification. My reasons are exactly the same as yours, too much Windows hand holding, but look what avoiding that got me a big fat nothing. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    raddahraddah Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying A+ I would go to each exam individually >>>> until now it's a pain but I have to continue not to stop. looking forward for challenges :)
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I took A+ 10 years ago MacOS wasn't even included on the exams at all. I guess it is now but it's a very small amount. This makes sense since the A+ is preparing you for what you're most likely to encounter in a business environment, which is mostly Windows. Apple also does a great job at their own exams that focus solely on their products. I'm glad to see they are integrating more MacOS but I don't see it ever being a huge focus for the A+ since most PCs, especially those in the business world are running Windows
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do practice tests... A lot of them... Find out what categories your weak at and study up.
    This is the one I used the free version... I'm sure you can find some free online though. A+ Certified Professional (A Plus) Certification -uCertify