Options

GCIH training material

dony2015dony2015 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
My mate did the above course in 2010. He has the complete material provided at the course. I have done my CISSP, CEH, and ITIL Foundation. GCIH is another course i would like to do now I am in the study mood. My question is, would the 2010 materials still be good to self study and pass GCIH in 2016? Mind you, the material is official SANS material.
Look forward to your advices.

Comments

• Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SANS courses are updated perhaps once or twice a year to reflect the changing times (at least the ones involving domains that evolve constantly like penetration testing) so material from 2010 is likely outdated to some degree.

That said, the SANS Courseware License Agreement states:

User may not copy, reproduce, distribute, display, modify or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware in any medium whether printed, electronic or otherwise, without the express written consent of the SANS Institute. Without limiting the foregoing, user may not reproduce, distribute, re-publish, display, modify, or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware for purposes of teaching any computer or electronic security courses to any third party without the express written consent of the SANS Institute.

In other words, courseware isn't allowed to be shared out by the original student to others.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    docrice wrote: »
    SANS courses are updated perhaps once or twice a year to reflect the changing times (at least the ones involving domains that evolve constantly like penetration testing) so material from 2010 is likely outdated to some degree.

That said, the SANS Courseware License Agreement states:

User may not copy, reproduce, distribute, display, modify or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware in any medium whether printed, electronic or otherwise, without the express written consent of the SANS Institute. Without limiting the foregoing, user may not reproduce, distribute, re-publish, display, modify, or create derivative works based upon all or any portion of the courseware for purposes of teaching any computer or electronic security courses to any third party without the express written consent of the SANS Institute.

In other words, courseware isn't allowed to be shared out by the original student to others.

Now that I look at it closely, doesn't it look like that agreement reads as if it's speaking solely about derivative works, based on their course material?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    dony2015dony2015 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for enlightening me.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's because he used the wrong section. The following sentence after the one posted says "Additionally, User may not sell, rent, lease, trade, or otherwise transfer the Courseware in any way, shape, or form without the express written consent of the SANS institute.

JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Now that I look at it closely, doesn't it look like that agreement reads as if it's speaking solely about derivative works, based on their course material?
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    That's because he used the wrong section. The following sentence after the one posted says "Additionally, User may not sell, rent, lease, trade, or otherwise transfer the Courseware in any way, shape, or form without the express written consent of the SANS institute.

Ah ok that makes sense. Yea that last part makes it pretty clear.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework