Options

Question about GPEN exam

Cora_PanCora_Pan Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to take the GPEN exam in the next time and I need some suggestion about what should be done until the exam day in order to be good prepared.

I have already started to mark the course book around the edges with yellow stickies to create a sort of index of each topic. I have also several **** sheets and also the Red Team Field Manual. Will start with the preparation tests in a few days after I will receive the GIAC confirmation email.

1) Does anybody have a basic index alphabetically and/or an index categorized by the GIAC GPEN main objectives?

2) Have you seen in the exam questions about Computer Crime Laws?

3) What about the questions regarding wireless attacks?

4) Which are the topics and labs on which I should mostly insist?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The GPEN objectives are listed on their web page. I believe it is against the GIAC policy to discuss the questions that are on the exam.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have the books already, which it sounds like you do, then you're good to go. The tests are created off of the books, no things NOT in the books won't be on the test. Are there computer crime slides in the books? If not, don't worry about them. Wireless attacks? Any wireless stuff mentioned in your books? If not, don't sweat it.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Read course book, rinse and repeat. Build your own index.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As the guys said, if you have the books you have half the battle won. From here in it's just a matter of making sure you absorb the content (lab, lab, lab, and then lab some more) !!!). After that create your own index and voilà. If this is your first GIAC test look up other threads here discussing index creation.
  • Options
    @ all: Thanks for your answers.

@ quogue66: No, I did not want to discuss about which are the questions - I know that this is against the policy of every institut which gives certifications.
    It's just only about the exam objectives. I saw that Computer Crime Laws and wireless are not mentioned in the Exam Certification Objectives & Outcome Statements as per https://www.giac.org/certification/penetration-tester-gpen

To put the question in another way: I saw that you mentioned in your posting http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/122959-passed-gpen.html that you have attended the SEC560 course. Can you remember if you heard in the course about Computer Crime Laws and wireless attacks?
  • Options
    quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do not recall anything in the course on either topic.
  • Options
    @ quogue66: Thanks for your answer.

Could anybody estimate which is the pass-rate for GPEN exam for the people who attended before the SANS SEC560 course? Because it is known that the SANS SEC560 course is very good...
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I assume this is your first GIAC exam.

As per tips at https://www.giac.org/exams/preparation, each exam comes with 2 practice tests.
    Absorb the material, prepare your index and treat each practice test as the actual exam. If you can pass the practice tests, you should be ready for the exam.