Options

When should I start looking for a new job?

ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
For contract positions, how far out from the end should I start looking for a new position or the next contract? First job in IT, I've never done this before. It's possible for the contract to be extended, but I want to plan in case I don't get an extension or a permanent offer.

Comments

• Options
    vaguemediavaguemedia Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If your current position is contract, you should never hide or remove your resume from job sites. If anyone questions why your resume is posted, just be upfront with them and explain that your role is not permanent and has a scheduled end date.
    I've only had one recruiter give me a hard way to go about my resume appearing on job sites. Nothing became of it, the client liked me because I did a good job.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should talk with your PM about the contract cycle. Some contracts get renewed on a regular time frame while others gets renewed in spurts. Once you know what yours has a history of doing, you will know what it's likely to do. Of course, if you're the type that's easily worked up, a contract that gets extended in bits and pieces might not be your idea of a comfortable place to work.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well ahead of the scheduled end date of the contract. I would make sure my resume was up to date on a monthly basis.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    If you are asking strangers on a message board - it's time to start looking. I've been in IT for about 9 years now and luckily always taken permanent positions, so i've never dealt with contract positions but i have friends that do.

It's tough to say, most companies will probably lie to your face and say they expect it to be extended, then turn around and not extend the job. They do this because if they are upfront IF it's not going to be extended, it gives you a reason to stop caring and to look elsewhere.

What you have to do is take in the company and job as a whole. Is the job you are doing just for one project or is it filling a role that they need? IE if you are there to help them merge two Active Directory Domains into one, once that's done more than likely you are out of there. On the other hand if you are doing desktop support and are pretty busy more than likely they are going to keep you unless you see a job positing on their website for a desktop support person :)

Keep you ears close to the ground and if you don't realistically see a NEED for your position, look elsewhere.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have stated , you should always be on the hunt. Maybe you like contract jobs, some do. Just because they said its 6 or 12 months doesn't mean it will be. You could be out at any time. I have been on both sides of this, the contractor and the decision manager.
  • Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just going to reiterate what's already been said but always been looking. That's when the best jobs pop up. You don't have to be hounding the job boards daily but least give a glance every two week's / once a month. Hiring process can take up to three months or more in some places. Its better to have that ball rolling then get stuck waiting for calls with no income.

I've read a quote somewhere about a successful CEO before and it stuck with me, "Best time to look for a job is when you just got one". I don't think it means to always job hop yet always keep an eye out. Don't rely on companies to do whats best for you. You have to do that.