Options

How did you know it was time to move on?

SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Kind of wondering, at what point do you decide its time to move on and look for another company to lay your roots in. Kind of in a situation where I can stay here for a long time, but I feel like another year of this will be a simple waste of time, what I do today other companies pay 20k more starting!!

Comments

• Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds Like you are in an Interesting Situation. But if an opportunity presents itself and it allows room to grow then take it. Just make sure you leave in a good way....dont burn any bridges.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're getting offers and you've reached your peak salary wise, you jump ship. Don't be loyal to a company that is not loyal to you.

Trust me, if they want to get rid of you, they'll do it in a heart beat and could care less about what happens to you.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Personally, I think it depends on the company. I could move and have a much higher paying job. But, the company I'm at treats me very well. Education reimbursement, certifications, training, they'll give me hands on experience on whatever I want, they'll hook me up with the folks at the parent company for more one on one with the security guys, a great team to work for, a great boss. They invest heavily in their workers. I can't leave. I've been in other places where I was just an employee. Just a number. No loyalty. Here, I feel like they are taking care of me.

Maybe in a few years it'll be time to move on. I'm already overqualified. But, I'll move on to further my career, not because I desire more money or a better company.

If you're working at a place where you're "just an employee", leave when you get a good enough offer that comes with a better job title. I can admit that if someone came to me with a 20K raise in pay and a job title of security analyst or something, I'd seriously think about it.