Options

OK, I want to break in to IT

mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
OK, i have the degrees, and I have a CCNA. The place I want to work at seems to have a semi consistent turnover rate. (glassdoor.com reviews are somewhat low to middle) I don't care about that- I can handle politics or stress and nobody can bully me..besides, they always need someone to do the graveyard shift and I can do that. Oh!! I forgot to add, they are an ISP/COLO facility that is obviously open 24/7/365. It's where I want to go!!!!!!!!! I did interview there once, but although they were impressed with the network knowledge, ( and especially subnetting--for you network new folks, it is important) they needed some experience in BASH and a programming language.

So here's the hints i need from the gurus here. I have been studying BASH and Python the past couple of months. But so what? What specific type of script writing is needed? Is it to add new users to a win server system, is it to ping/tracert a IP address. Is it , is it... I need the shortcut hint so I don't have to study all the boring garbage. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of script that nmap's a range of ports or something like that. I just need the Guru's to tell me or provide an example.

Thanks for your time and good holidays

Regards
Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University

Comments

• Options
    Quench24Quench24 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if *****.
  • Options
    Quench24 wrote: »
    Not sure if *****.

Nice answer. That explains everything icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    Nice answer. That explains everything icon_rolleyes.gif

LMAO. icon_lol.gif (Sorry if this wasn't your intent but I found your response pretty funny).
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're trying to break into IT, correct? If this is true, then I would just keep applying for any entry level IT jobs, and eventually you will get a IT job. Don't focus on trying to get hired at one SPECIFIC company. Apply at several companies at a time. Just my 2 cents.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    CptFalconCptFalcon Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look for NOC positions or Tier 2+ help desk roles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with NOC positions. Skip helpdesk as there is little growth there.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    They're not asking for bash to do things like add users to a win server or reset passwords (if a script is used for win user adds and password resets, it's probably done in Powershell).

If you're looking at a colo facility and they want experience with bash scripting, then you're looking at a heavy Linux-centric workload. This can be anything and everything from checking disk usage, checking open network connections, grabbing logs, scheduling cron jobs, or any number of other Linux administrative tasks.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I need the shortcut hint so I don't have to study all the boring garbage.

Osnap, I didn't realize this was an option. "Quick guyz, gimme shortcuts so I don't have to learn stuff."

Sorry, there's no cert **** for actual jobs and skills. When they say they want BASH experience and knowledge, it doesn't mean they want someone who knows how to launch shell scripts. They want someone who knows how to write one. They want someone they can throw into a command line who won't have to Google or Man every command. Maybe look into getting your Linux+.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with NOC positions. Skip helpdesk as there is little growth there.

I never had much luck in the help desk world, I had to proactively move to a infrastructure role before I started making real gains. Help desk is viewed as customer service where I worked at. (Multiple places).
  • Options
    goatama wrote: »
    Osnap, I didn't realize this was an option. "Quick guyz, gimme shortcuts so I don't have to learn stuff."

Sorry, there's no cert **** for actual jobs and skills. When they say they want BASH experience and knowledge, it doesn't mean they want someone who knows how to launch shell scripts. They want someone who knows how to write one. They want someone they can throw into a command line who won't have to Google or Man every command. Maybe look into getting your Linux+.

this is a good answer. Makes sense.
  • Options
    goatama wrote: »

No no no. i'm not looking for a **** cite. I just wanted to know what specifically a BASH or python/c++ script would be needed. But I got a good answer after this thread

thanks