Options

What to know from general networking portion of test?

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I plan on going the one test route, but only taking a class that covers what would be considered the second part of the test, Interconnecting Cisco devices or something like that. My impression of what information would have been taught in the general networking class was that it would be like a networking essentials type test, but when looking at the cisco site the intro test mentions cisco specific stuff.

So, basically this is the question, since I'm only taking a class that teaches what the second test would encompass, EXACTLY what do I need to learn on my own that would be taught for the intro test to make sure I've got everything covered for the one test?

I figure the basic stuff with routers, topologies, repeaters, bridges and the OSI stuff, etc. But what about router commands, subnetting, access lists, etc.

Comments

• Options
    EricOEricO Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here you go:

Design and Support
    Use a subset of Cisco IOS commands to analyze and report network problems
    Use embedded layer 3 through layer 7 protocols to establish, test, suspend, or disconnect connectivity to remote devices from the router console
    Determine IP addresses

Implementation and Operation
    Establish communication between a terminal device and the router IOS, and use IOS for system analysis
    Manipulate system image and device configuration files
    Perform an initial configuration on a router and save the resultant configuration file
    Use commands incorporated within IOS to analyze and report network problems
    Assign IP addresses
    Describe and install the hardware and software required to be able to communicate via a network
    Use embedded data link layer functionality to perform network neighbor discovery and analysis from the router
    Use embedded layer 3 through layer 7 protocols to establish, test, suspend or disconnect connectivity to remote devices from the router console

Technology
    Demonstrate the mathematical skills required to work seamlessly with integer decimal, binary and hexadecimal numbers and simple binary logic
    Define and describe the structure and technologies of computer networks
    Describe the hardware and software required to be able to communicate via a network
    Describe the physical, electrical and mechanical properties and standards associated with optical, wireless, and copper media used in networks
    Describe the topologies and physical issues associated with cabling common LANs
    Identify the key characteristics of common wide area networking (WAN) configurations and technologies, and differentiate between these and common LAN technologies
    Describe the purpose and fundamental operation of the internetwork operating system (IOS)
    Describe the role of a router in a WAN
    Identify the major internal and external components of a router, and describe the associated functionality
    Identify and describe the stages of the router boot-up sequence
    Describe how the configuration register and boot system commands modify the router boot-up sequence
    Describe the concepts associated with routing, and the different methods and protocols used to achieve it
    Describe how an IP address is associated with a device interface, and the association between physical and employ IP addressing techniques
    Employ IP addressing techniques
    Compare and contrast collision and broadcast domains, and describe the process of network segmentation
    Describe the principles and practice of switching in an Ethernet network
    Explain how collisions are detected and handled in an Ethernet system
    Explain the fundamental concepts associated with the Ethernet media access technique
    Describe how the protocols associated with TCP/IP allow host communication to occur
    Describe the operation of the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) and identify the reasons, types and format of associated error and control messages
    Describe the principles and practice of packet switching utilizing the Internet Protocol (IP
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    An easy way to find out some more details is to go to www.ciscopress.com or amazon.com and check the Table of Contents and the Index of the study guides available for the INTRO exam.
  • Options
    sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
    sheesh...what's left for the second test???

I didn't thinkt the intro portion of the test would get that deep into the router stuff.