Options

Return to IT

LsxWeaponXLsxWeaponX Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
It's been a long 5 years in the Airforce. The flightline has sucked the life out of me. That being said I'm going back to what I originally wanted to do. Network Security. I have all the resources in the world to get spun up. Currently going for my CCNA first. I have 1 year left & going on leave for 30 days around the DMV. Looking for any help on securing an entry level Netsec or even Net Engineering jobs with I want to say the CCNA/CCNA security by the time I get out. I won't have experience other than that. If anyone could give me pointers I'd be grateful. Im 100% focused on this.

Comments

• Options
    GrounderGrounder Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What level security clearance do you hold?

Just separated 2 months ago myself (although from a cyber career) and I am in the DC area can certainly help you out.

Might just be easier to shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    Yes the DC area is what im aiming for
  • Options
    Like I was asking what security clearance do you hold?

If it a secret that is a good start but if you have a TS you are pretty golden already as long as you get the certs that matter to the government.

Either way if you want to work in the government sector either federal or contractor you have to be 8570 qualified the easiest way to do this is to get your Security+.

Which is pretty much your baseline requirement to have an admin account and work on their networks.

So I would hold off on your CCNA till you have that completed, because it won't matter for a goverment job until you did that first.

I am not sure if you have college started or not but if you TA to use sign up for WGU because I think you would qualify.

Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

If you do that you can have them assign you the courses for your Security + and CCNA in the first couple terms so you can get them without paying out of pocket before you get out.

If you are already in college or doing whatever else you can still use AFCOOL now with this of course you get $5000 to do whatever certifcations you want with it, and I know when I got out they were just approving it so you can use it on boot camps AND on multiple certifications.

Trick is you have to pass the test for the certification before you move onto the next ... now with boot camps you wont be able to pay for both but if you self study you have a ton of money to work with there.

Just be sure to take the ones you are most comfortable with first.
  • Options
    Works been busy thanks for the response. I hold a secret. Going to see if I can upgraded before i get out. I've looked heavily into WGU & I wanted to go there but I plan on finishing my degree at UMD using my Post 911. WGU has about 5 courses that UMD will take. My plan is to get all my certs & go to school to 1. Pay rent 2. The Internships. I don't expect anyone to take a chance on me with no experience & just certs. That's why i'm doing it this way. I don't have many connections in the field either. Which is why I'm reaching out on Reddit, Slack, Techexams, LinkedIn for advice.
  • Options
    If you only have a year left there almost no way you will get it upgraded now (money plus AF has a solid policy if you don't have a year left they wont even look at your clearance) and you do need to be some where that the TS would actually be used.

That said if you had someone willing to stick their neck out and push it through you might be able to although I don't think it would finish in a year.

Even with just a secret if you can get the Security+ there are some companies that will take a chance on your on clearancejobs.com.

That said it will be an entry level position and they will train you for it (help desk/etc.) but it will be something to get you experience while you complete your degree and move on once you do.

I would say getting the Security+ first to qualify you for government jobs is key to moving forward quickly into this career field with your situation.