Options

Simulator for ccna

Project1973Project1973 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and new to networking, I've just recently passed network + and progressing to ccna. I've discovered that as for books lammle and odom are the best out there, however I'm still struggling with which simulator to practice. I've thought about gns3 but from the forums and other places they're saying it doesn't include switches, I need your help and advice pls. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    n4pst3rn4pst3r Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

You need to make the difference between a simulator and an emulator ! GNS3 is an emulator, so it can't be what you are looking for.

Good to know you have lammle and Odom's books, those two are great enough to pass your exam for sure.

Well to answer your question definitely...at CCNA level, Packet Tracer is more than enough. Trust me.

Regards
    Certification Goals 2017
    LPIC-1
    CCNA-RS
    ITILv3 2011-F
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your response, apologies for asking stupid questions, it's just that I'm a novices to this field, which packet tracer will u recommend, is it the student version ? Also, dies it come with workbook that helps with practicing the simulations? I was looking at boson simulator, what do u think? Lastly is packet tracer free? Where and which can I download? So sorry for too many questions. Thanks
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer is free. Netcad has packet tracer 101 to help get familiar with it.
    https://www.netacad.com/about-networking-academy/packet-tracer/
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    Ok thanks so much. Just saved me from buying boson simulator. Thanks again.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA level (to me) you don't need any physical equipment. I went out and bought A LOT of switches and routers. That was a mistake, plus my wife didn't like the rack in the office, so it had to go.

When I say it had to go, the rack, not the wife :P
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    While I agree that having physical equipment is not essential, I'd recommend that you get the basics. I picked up two 2950 switches for less than £40.00 (for the pair), a 2600 Router for £35.00 and a 881 Router/Switch for £45.00.

Each device is running a different version of IOS, which is good, as each version is a little different in the way that it works and I'm gaining experience of IOS V12 to V15. Also, CPT(7), as good as it is, again differs from the physical equipment. The other thing that I'm gaining some experience with is making my own Ethernet cables.

As for 'Projects', I tend to reconstruct (using CPT7) the networks from the books that I'm using for my studies (w. Odom ICND1 100-101 & ICND2 200-101) as well as the Networks from the CCNA Lab Book (pdf) by Shawn Moore.

All the best with your studies.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    Ok thanks so much
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I too agree that Packet tracer is enough for CCENT/CCNA, but I disagree that you shouldn't have access to at least one real device. In my case I'm a subscriber of itpro.tv which gives me access to their lab of real Cisco switches/routers. It's handy to be able to jump on a real device and test commands that are not included on PT.

So however you go about it (buying, renting, or subscribing) for completeness sake I'd recommend having access to a real CLI. Just don't fall into the trap of hoarding Cisco gear, it's a lucrative second hand market with many people spending hundreds and getting very little ROI on the gear. The gear is also painfully loud especially the older stuff.
  • Options
    Ok thanks, what's the difference between itpro and boson simulator, which is better? . Thanks
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the Pearson Simulator when I got my CCNA, but I also had some hands on experience at work with switches. If Packet Tracer was freely available when I did CCNA, I probably just would have gone with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, depending on your budget, go for the Boson Netsim! I think they have a sale for 25% off right now and the bundle they have for around $300 is really what you need! includes the netsim software, courseware both digital and physical and practice exams for I think $300-350! Go for that bundle!

CCNA 200-125 Certification Kit | Boson

Happy Holidays!!
  • Options
    Cool, thanks a lot. I'll look into that.
  • Options
    Ok thanks, what's the difference between itpro and boson simulator, which is better? . Thanks

ITPro.tv is like CBT Nuggets. It's a training site which provide videos for many different certifications (Microsoft, Comptia, Cisco). When you access the CCENT course (which you get as part of your subscription to the website) you also get access to Practice Labs which are structured courses which use their online real hardware labs. You also get free access to transcender exams for Cisco. Now because the labs use real hardware and don't force you to follow the script, you can poke around on the equipment and test out stuff. You just need to make sure you don't leave the equipment in an unrecoverable state (clear your passwords etc)

Check this out for more information: https://itpro.tv/course-library/guided-tour/getting-started-itprotv/

As I mentioned, it's a nice perk to have access to the online real equipment but as others have mentioned Packet Tracer is most likely enough. I only mentioned it as I enjoy having the ability to verify certain extra commands out of interest and further exploration.

For packet tracer I'd highly recommend following the NetCad 101 guide and get yourself intimately familar with it: https://www.netacad.com/campaign/ptdt-1

Boson on the other hand is a simulator. It's not a real Cisco device just a program which mimics the behaviors of a Router or Switch. It won't have all of the commands a real device and will feel a little cramped in your ability to explore and test.

I'll slightly change my opinion and recommend becoming an expert on Packet Tracer (see the above Netacad link) and then once you find the limits of the platform, start looking for other solutions. But until then, I'd focus on reading & study icon_study.gif and save your coin for a rainy day.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your analysis, u have given me a very good insight into all of them, I now have an idea of which way to go. Like u suggested I'll start up with packet tracer and will later on go with it pro, as definitely it will be advantageous for me to have hands on experience and not just simulations. Thanks so much, really love your analysis. Thanks
  • Options
    Thanks so much once again for your help everyone, does anyone have an idea of where I can get a list or workbook for practice lab that I can use with packet tracer for ccna?
    Thanks all
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a CCNA book, they usually have some labs in there that run along. Though, you might want to just poke around on google and download some people's labs. Be just be careful on what you download :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
  • Options
    dazzler1dazzler1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly , in my opinion you dont need real physical gear , as the guys above me mentioned netcad. also there is netsim though im not, sure about its pricing model
  • Options
    emekemek Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am studying for the ICND1, and I have physical gear, packet tracer, and the pearson net simulator. I almost never use the physical gear, and probably wont. I would highly recommend the pearson net simulator to get you started off. It helped me to learn the concepts very fast as all the labs are setup and ready to go for you to tinker around. It also gave me the confidence to push forward with my studies. Once I've run through those 400 labs once or twice, I will most likely start building my own networks from scratch in GNS3.
  • Options
    emek wrote: »
    I almost never use the physical gear, and probably wont.

I think a large part of buying the gear for myself (which also never got used) was just the excitement of buying the boxes. I think delaying the gratification and not buying gear may pay off, look forward to all the hands on time you'll get with gear out in the field.

Gear has many pitfalls due to the noise, space and expense it's very difficult to justify it. The used cisco market is a profiteers dream. As I said before though, if you're going off the beaten trail having access to some type of gear is always handy to lab things that are above and beyond what the sims/emulators can handle, but try do that in the most economic fashion imho (e.g. beg, borrow, buy)
  • Options
    jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking at the net academy packet tracer download. It's saying I need to enroll in a cisco net academy course, do I have to pay for this?
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Project1973. Being that you have Todd Lammle's book, see this thread about Packet Tracer labs. Scroll down to Post#7.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Waspe3 - Go here to sign up for the PT Training Course, it's where you can get Packet Tracer for free.

http://bit.ly/1SWzWEe
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    https://www.udemy.com/cisco-ccna-200-120-labs-gateway-to-success/

this course in on udemy for using gns 3 and packet tracer. the course does not include pt or gns3.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In case anyone else is wondering where the bitly link is pointing:

https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer-download

I'm not sure why the other person felt the need to throw it in a bitly link.