Options

The New Guy here...

dandanhirschbergdandanhirschberg Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
35 Next year, and having read through a few of the threads, a few of which had guys in situations similar to mine. The short answer is yes I'm willing to put in the time and study, 1.5-3 years time frame is my goal for exit from my job as a uhaul mechanic. Did alot of computer configs mods games since the mid 90s, and fairly well grew up with them. Played around in DOS alot as a youngster, modifying Duke Nukem 3d. Nothing crazy-but I knew what I was doing, because I RTFM'd-so I'm getting back into it and things have become far more streamlined from the lone nerd who can fix your problems and command a sum type of scenario. Across-the-board universally accepted, it would seem, certs that, as in many other fields, in combination with experience, dictate pay.

Looking at the progress trees in career via the Cisco and Comptia sites, I'm trying to trim out a format that I'd like to roll with, seeing some say don't get the A+, DO get it, various posters are in or not in college degree programs. (I went once for the Diesel Studies degree and don't want to go back to college) The plan is to build my education while working full time, so the longer outlook is likely. What then, are some thoughts regarding my ROI; I=time? I can't do physical work forever so the goal is to transition to it before 40, with a wage comparable to what I make currently. The scenario running in my head is I would like to sidestep the low-level geek-squad primer jobs if it means taking time at home earning more degrees, but I agree with anything, that experience in the field is the king of the day. Are there thoughts on the model of working around those lower pay jobs with a specific set of credentials? I don't mind turning a wrench for a good few more years but at some point, it changes to this career path.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you've done some tinkering and stuff in the past, skip the A+ its a waste of time especially if you want quick ROI.

Go right for you CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNP then branch off into data center or security certification tracks.

I can tell you honestly cisco is the quickest ROI you can get. I learned all this stuff on my own after I graduated college and within three years i was in a consulting role making six figs. You just have to give it your all during your study time and you will be rewarded.
  • Options
    Care to expand on that a bit more? As it presently sits, I am gathering people I know in the field personally to get outlooks and advice, and I get told by them they think I know more about computers than they do. At the risk of that egoistic statement, I can assure them I don't have the certs yet to do their jobs, and frankly, I am perhaps underestimating myself overall, when I see some of the sample questions. A LOT of the computer world can be learned on the job-you have the library right in front of you, if you know what I'm saying. Care to share your individual story with me?
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site. You have really come to the right place. The people on this site have been amazing and have given me some invaluable advice!!! With that said, I think any of the Cisco certs would be more hands-on and more valuable than the Comptia certs, but more difficult also. I would skip the A+. I'm sure others who have more experience than me could give even more in depth advice but I started back into the field(previous 13yrs in networking with a break to raise kids) studying for the Network+. Personally, I wanted a refresher course in networking and I wanted to get that before I move on to the Cisco certs. It's been very helpful and I don't regret the time I have spent on it.(4months) The Security+ is very close to the N+ so you could probably get both of those done at about the same time. Anyway, that was just my preference and you may choose to go another route that's more hands-on.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you narrow down what about the comptia or cisco paths appeals to you? By that I mean, do you know anything about networking that you feel like you'd really enjoy it? I wouldn't want you to commit 100% to something like that because some people find success that way and find out you hate it.

Also, any details about the other people in the field who feel you know more than they do? I'd be curious about what they do and what you'd like to do.

Also, considering this is anonymous, can you share your current salary range or what you'd hope to get to within a few years? It might be easy to do in IT quickly or very difficult depending on how many levels you'll try to skip just to match the current salary. If you're making 40K as a mechanic in a reasonable cost of living it's totally reasonable to get there fairly quickly in IT, if you're making 85K now, it's going to take a lot more planning and work most likely.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I agree with FloOz said BUT, first and foremost you need to decide what you want to do in IT. Deciding that will determine what path you take. If you want to do networking, then FloOz laid out exactly the path to take. After knocking out the CCNA and making sure you know HOW to apply the knowledge in a working environment and not just book knowledge (by building a lab preferably, at a minimum using packet tracer), apply to a NOC, or other entry level position. If you can't break in there, then you should at least be able to get a Help Desk job just to have IT experience on your resume, then go for NOC or Jr Network Admin job.

If you want to pursue Desktop Support or Systems/Server Administrator roles, then I would start pursuing the MCSA (70-410, 70-411, 70-412). You SHOULD easily be able to land a Help Desk, Desktop Support, or Systems Administrator role having those credentials and being able to show in an interview that you have the knowledge.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum! We all started out somewhere! Like others have said, what is it you're most passionate about? If you're not sure what you want to do, take the A+ certification, then Network+, and possibly Security+. This will give you some entry-level certifications, plus it'll give you a wide spectrum of different areas within IT.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's one major question you should ask first. What types of IT jobs are available within your area. If your plan is to get a job working from home before your 40, well you really need to consider your path first. The best thing I can tell you is that you need to figure out what you like. Do you like system administration, do you like Network administration, etc...etc. At your age, I would highly recommend you at least get an Associates degree to get you started, and there are plenty of options to take courses fully online. Another option you could consider is attending a class to help get you certified in a entry-level certification (Security+, MCP, CCENT, etc.), and a lot of local community colleges will have these programs. Short term, but more expensive options can include bootcamps.

If your looking at help desk roles, you'll need to come with a lot more than just an A+, no college, and no exp. When I got my first help desk job, I just got my 1st MCSE certification, and working on a AA degree. Some people might have different stories with their first jobs, so it should be interesting to compare. You can probably get your MCSA and/or CCNA to land you your first gig, but I would also try and add school to the mix. Going to Geek Squad would also be a nice start, as many here have gone that path.

Because of your age (I'm older than you...so I can say that..HAHA!) you will have the play some serious catch up, and go hard this year to get to where you wanna be. Getting certs such as MCSE and CCNA can take you up to 6 months or less to complete easily. Good luck!
  • Options
    All of the above replies are a very good sign I'm in the right place. Most of all they challenged me to sharpen the focus of my approach. Determining where I specialize is the fundamental groundwork of my plan. (My approach is get the advice, wisdom, experiences of others from a broad spectrum first, draw up a list of goals and timeline-based plan given my age, with a very defined package of what I will shoot for, and lastly....execute-which will be more dynamic than it sounds.

Determining what I'm passionate about first of all, is a nice fuzzy thought. It's a big enough step for me to move from being a wrench jockey to a computer guy, I believe I said in my initial post I get excited about transfer rates rather than cylinder bore specs. Anyhow, my hands are on the PC-that has to be a given. So talking someone on the phone wouldn't be for me. To answer Danielm7, I don't mind sharing details such as wage. I live in Alaska, which dictates a different economic structure up here. If you look at COL indexes we rank alongside metros in CA as well as PA and HI. I make 34K/year as a low level mechanic. I am university educated on the diesel side of things, and have done a great deal of that type of work at the apprentice level. The list of reasons to get out of that industry is long, but I did it because I needed the fastest turnover I possibly could render back in 2013. Having been in the industry for 2 solid years now, I know it isn't for me.

To replace a salary that I make presently would be the initial challenge. I'm not greedy, and not driven by money. In truth, with the added bonus that I won't risk throwing out my back working on computers, about which I am passionate (remember, engines, I am not-I CAN make them work, just hate doing it) I believe that there are greater wage/advancement options in the IT industry by comparison. Far and wide are the people to be found, as I understand it who, with the motivation and time spent on it, can see six figures sitting behind a computer or working on routers etc. Very, very few make it to that range with wrenches without making extraordinary life sacrifices. To answer danielm succinctly, I wonder out loud if I put 2 years of private effort at home, into the routing/switching, networking, and hardware realms, which I feel reasonably confident I can say I am interested in...it would be possible to see that $35K salary turn into $40K or more? I am assuming low level exp level and low level position within the company, whatever that may be. Personally the challenge draws me, but having been out of the game as long as I have, I think there will be enough out there that I will cry uncle sooner or later. The overarching goal, the thing that rules the whole scheme, for me is the preservation of my physical wellness, but that only edges out the fulfilment I get from computers compared to vehicles. The money is not the prime motivator. All said-I feel as though sysadmin MAY be a path I'd like to go on, but I REALLY would love suggestions as well as devil's advocate scenarios. Where I stand is this-I have a cardiac defibrillator in my chest, and even if I don't have heart problems (that's another story) I have the consistent exposure to injury because of the darn thing sitting subpectoral in my chest-so an added motivator. If you guys don't mind, I will just play my journey out here over time, and if you guys are part of it....cool!

I appreciate the replies, developing my baseline strategy/roadmap, is kind of vexing. I am absurdly enthusiastic about Linux, and I will stay converted for life....unfortunately I must acquaint with the new Windows builds, the last one I have fooled with is 7. And no kidding on needing to play catch up. I may have to look into the online courses you mention, kiki.

Long enough post here, it needs to end so........done, for now.
  • Options
    "I'm not greedy, and not driven by money." I've had a stomach flu all week, so apparently I'm not paying attention to my own writing til after the fact.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard! As others have said, it's important to figure out what you'd like to do with computers... all IT and computer services are not the same, and you may have a passion for some areas and not others. No one's mentioned software programming, but your initial post kind of makes me think that might me something to look at, as well as database admin and/or database development.

Anyway, my first recommendation is to go to the library and start perusing books... A+, Network+, Security+ should be easy to find, I'd start there. Then maybe some Cisco, SQL, Oracle, Java... don't study the books, just browse them for now. As you do, you'll probably hit areas that make you want to stop and learn more, but also areas that you'll decide to avoid if you can.

Once you have some range you can decide what path to try. Heck, maybe you'll pick up A+ and say "this is so easy I can knock out the cert in a few weeks" or maybe you'll fall in love with Cisco and will want to start working towards CCNP asap. But one of the things I've seen really frustrate folks is starting down a path and realizing they hate it after investing a lot of time and effort. Obviously not the end of the world, and you can always set a new course (as you are now), but less emotionally taxing if you can avoid those things you'll hate from the beginning.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    Joe
  • Options
    AverageJoe wrote: »
    Welcome aboard! As others have said, it's important to figure out what you'd like to do with computers... all IT and computer services are not the same, and you may have a passion for some areas and not others. No one's mentioned software programming, but your initial post kind of makes me think that might me something to look at, as well as database admin and/or database development.

Anyway, my first recommendation is to go to the library and start perusing books... A+, Network+, Security+ should be easy to find, I'd start there. Then maybe some Cisco, SQL, Oracle, Java... don't study the books, just browse them for now. As you do, you'll probably hit areas that make you want to stop and learn more, but also areas that you'll decide to avoid if you can.

Once you have some range you can decide what path to try. Heck, maybe you'll pick up A+ and say "this is so easy I can knock out the cert in a few weeks" or maybe you'll fall in love with Cisco and will want to start working towards CCNP asap. But one of the things I've seen really frustrate folks is starting down a path and realizing they hate it after investing a lot of time and effort. Obviously not the end of the world, and you can always set a new course (as you are now), but less emotionally taxing if you can avoid those things you'll hate from the beginning.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    Joe

I am piqued by others' mention of online school. I'm not against that, if it helps me avert entry-level hell. That said, You, my friend are totally on the mark. I've gotten some books. The following is my list:
    Sybex CompTia A+ Complete Study Guide
    1001 CCNA Routing/Switching Practice?s for dummies
    CCNA Security 210 Official Cert guide
    CiscoCCNA Routing/switching 200-120 4th ed
    Sybex CCNA Data Center Introducing Cisco Data Center Networking Study
    Mike Meyers Comptia Network Plus All in one exam guide
    Mike Meyers Lab Manual ^^
    Subnetting for Beginners

I am beginning to peruse, yes. I spent a good deal of time re-writing lines of code in Duke Nukem 3d, using text to
    replace sprite representation of enemies, reconfigure weapon sounds, and build maps, in other words, self modding the game via the Build game engine, alot like early DOOM WAD builders. Programming DOES appeal to me....
  • Options
    In building a profile, I have just had the thought it might bear mentioning that for over 20 years I've flown flight simulator on my home computer. I love the structure and procedure. Does this help lend some insight into the type of mind I have? Absolutely.....now....does anybody have the ability to translate that to the IT world?
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're off to a great start!
    Programming DOES appeal to me....

I thought so! I do cybersecurity these days, but programming was my passion for many years. I'm glad some people love Cisco, but network stuff bores me to tears (or at least snores). Anyway, you should still go through your pile of books, but consider adding Java, SQL, Oracle, and Python to the pile.
  • Options
    ming746ming746 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey bro congrats on having the courage to jump to a new career.

Some advice don't bother with school. Just buy you some cheap computers and or routers/switches depending on what area of IT you wish to work in and set you up a lab at home and study for your certs.

I concur with my friend above who said skip the A+ if you already know hardware HOWEVER you will need electives on many tracks A+ is an excellent one for you if you already know hardware but you will need to study cause the test ask a lot pof questions that are in the past and that rarely if ever comes up in real world scenarios.

At 35 you are plenty young enough to do this if you have the drive and passion so dont get discouraged but consider this ...as a mechanics you are likely making decent to good money and in IT certs mean nothing if you dont have experience to go with it and you MUST acquire Some real world experience so its likely you will start off as a PC repairmen or building PCs at a computer shopo or something like Greek squad. This is the equivalent of the hamburger flipping gigs in the IT industry. I don't knoiw what areas yoiuy wish to work in if it be engineering I.E Cisco ..et. Etc or administration such as windows A.D and server,exchange or security of if you have the brains for programing but remember always loving what you do has a significant dollar amount attached to it as well so salary and hourly wage is not everything unless you have a family to support.

If you grind hard and pay your dues younare going to do great. Just the fact you are here tells a lot!. Keep a good clean circle of friends. Keep your passion and flame strong and hit the books and put in the time.

If ever need any advice or to talk feel free to message.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any decent IT person has had exposure to the various IT areas by chance, accident or on the job by purpose so they understand little of everything. Since you are new it's good to do the same, the books you have are good general knowledge books and you should read and practice from them. I would also add some Microsoft books. Windows is a major OS in the work place, getting familiar with it, various commands, various settings or how to configure various options and features is a good start for any IT person. Since you like to tinker with code, look at SQL too, databases are what drives everything these days. Knowing some SQL stuff might give you a small edge when competing with people in similiar situations as yours or it might be the one thing that you might like more than the other IT stuff. Look at the below link and go through the practice exercises, if you like it then download the real SQL which is free as well.

SQL tutorial
    SQLCourse - Lesson 1: What is SQL?

Microsoft Free books from Microsoft academy
    https://mva.microsoft.com/ebooks

More Microsoft free books.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mssmallbiz/2016/07/10/free-thats-right-im-giving-away-millions-of-free-microsoft-ebooks-again-including-windows-10-office-365-office-2016-power-bi-azure-windows-8-1-office-2013-sharepoint-2016-sha/
  • Options
    Thank you everybody who responded. It all goes into the formulation of my plan. I certainly had whatever shred of computer egoism left removed when I began looking at all the things I now know I don't know-and what a long way to go. To be blunt-if one were to go throwing insults around it would be easy to say I'm a novice. The extent of my ability has been to locate information when a BIOS won't load or build a PC and configure the basic devices on it. Thats about it. I've been a gamer. A wee bit intimidating, it is, for me to look at the cert trees ahead of me. That said, I am not seeking 100K/year, but I AM willing to do what I need to to break into the industry at 35-40K per year and at that point, as far as I'm concerned, I am in it for life, and will not look back. Being a mechanic is to be in a holding pattern, but most mechanics I know dislike the quality of their body at the time of retirement, without some serious serious effort at physical fitness.

I believe I will simply begin with reading up the lit on Linux, Windows as suggested (as much as I don't like wielding Windows I'd be beyond foolish to shy away from absorbing a comprehensive knowledge-the kind of guy I am, I don't like to learn a little about a lot of things, I like to learn a lot about a lot of things)

Again, thank you for responses. I will likely continue lurking and be back at it with more questions; you are all a clearly intelligent bunch, and it's nice to be around computer folks (lord only knows why I stayed away for so long) who want to talk about, well, computers, instead of mechanics, who want fart jokes and car stories. I want meat and potatoes, it appears I've found it. I expect I'm going to enjoy this place.