Options

Simulation software for uni dissertation

PikeyMikeyPikeyMikey Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm planning to do my final year project on performance differences between routing protocols and am not sure which software to use.

Is Packet Tracer sufficent for this or should I get VIRL (student discount) and use that. Are there a lot of advanctages from using VIRL over Packet Tracer and vice versa?

edited:

Or would GNS3 be sufficient for this project? My main aim is to test performance differences between the two using a simulator, I have read that some software lacks the capabilities to do this effectively.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want real world results you'd likely need to use real hardware. If not VIRL or CSRv with a lot of resources to make sure your machine doesn't weigh into the performance would be second best. I definitely wouldn't test performance with GNS3 though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PikeyMikeyPikeyMikey Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply, I've decided to do it as you suggested on real hardware. My work place has allowed me access to as many Cisco 1841 routers that I need all running version 15.

How many routers do you think I would need to put together a decent test topology?