Options

Resume Review

winbjrwinbjr Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I would first like to start by saying thank you for this online community and the help that is provided here daily. Everything I have read here has helped a lot and hopefully will continue to guide me in the right direction.

I am approximately 8 years removed from every doing any sort of computer repair/troubleshooting, and it was very basic stuff at the time. I since been in law enforcement and I would like to leave to work in the information technology field. At the moment, I am not worried about a specialty (Systems, Networking, Security, etc.) I would just like to gain entry-level certification and an entry level job to familiarize myself with the career field and after getting dirty, then I will consider a special route.

About Me:

Education: Will have an A.S. degree in Criminal Justice by May 2017.
Certifications: None at the moment, but I am studying to take 220-901 and eventually 220-902 for the A+.
Pay: I current make approximately $21, with the opportunity to make a lot more with overtime. I am not looking to take a HUGE pay cut, but I do understand starting over come with risks and sacrifice.

In my opinion, law enforcement can be a lot like customer service. It also develops verystrong oral and written communication and organization skills, as well as the ability to work in a stressful and fast-paced environment while under constant pressure.

My Resume

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97t4znux4894sw6/WINBJR.pdf?dl=0

I found this from a microcbt video on YouTube. I am not sure if it is appropriate for entry level and career change positions in I.T., but I am hoping this is where this community can assist me.

Under my name I placed, "Technical Support Analyst", as an example of the position applying for. I also plan on changing the "Key Facts" section to highlight on qualifications depending on the job I am applying for.

Thank you everyone and I am looking forward to your critiques.

Comments

• Options
    Friendly bump. Hope someone can help and review my resume. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97t4znux4894sw6/WINBJR.pdf?dl=0
  • Options
    atlusatlus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you considered listing out your professional experience by skill instead of your previous jobs in chronological order? You would be able to list relevant IT experience first instead of having it at the bottom of your resume.
  • Options
    I have not thought about a skills based resume. My basic troubleshooting skills are old and the softskills I can transfer from law enforcement (customer service, fast-paced environment, stress, documentation, etc), I am not sure how I would list those on a skills/functional style resume. I have always used traditional resumes, so I am open to learning something new.
  • Options
    atlusatlus Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For my current job as a security analyst, I listed my skills under professional experience because it had been a while since I worked in security. I added a separate section for my employment history.

It went like this:
    Professional Experience
    -Security
    -Systems Administration
    -Network Administration

For yours, you could list your technical skills first and then customer service experience. Please take my advice with a grain of salt though. I'm definitely not an expert at writing resumes... just sharing what worked for me.
  • Options
    Does anyone else have any input? Anything is helpful.
  • Options
    DiscordDiscord Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As someone who has seen a few resumes - get those general certs out of the way and on the resume. I'd suggest A+, N+ and Sec+ minimum. The sec+ alone will really, really help get you noticed IMO - esp if you decide to deal with idiot recruiters in the future.

Throw the versions on windows/mac you have familiarity with on there too. Hell, I still list NT4 certs on my resume and a few more under a "legacy" area. Nothing more than just to fill space and show I've been around for a bit.

Don't stick to the one page rule and don't be afraid to be wordy (one page resumes tend to be sparse with good content about you).

Maybe bullet the points in your positions or consider a different formatting (ie - https://templates.office.com/en-us/Resume-Functional-design-TM00002023)

With all the law enforcement stuff on there, don't they have any specialty departments for investigations or general IT stuff you could transfer to? That could be an avenue for the future - either an infrastructure support or forensics role? Forensics seems like a logical step as you should be pretty familiar with chain of custody and all that.