Options

What qualifications do you need to jump into a Junior Systems Admin position?

TheNullVoidTheNullVoid Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
A little bit of a background regarding me:

-I have a job as a conference set up person/shipping assistant contractor at a Federal agency. I deal with the public on a daily basis.

-I have Aspergers syndrome.

-I have a useless Associate of Arts from a Community College. I'm willing to pursue a Bachelors in IT if needed to become a Junior Systems Admin.

-I have no experience in IT, but im very interested in the field.<

-I am working on my A+. I just passed the 901 a week ago(it was really easy). Next, I plan to pass the 902 in Jan/early Feb.<

-I don't expect to get any job after my A+. I assume anyone can pass both the 901 and 902. I am of below average intelligence and found the 901 test to be very easy.

-I want to get my MCSA after this. Is it possible to pass all three of the Microsoft test with no experience?

As mentioned before, I have a below average intellect. However, I LOVE learning about technology. Can decent social skills(somehow I have a decent social skills for an aspie as my job requires it), a good work ethic, and a passion for tech compensate for a less than average intellect? Basically, It takes me longer to learn concepts. I'm worried about my slow learning speed given the rate and which technology changes. Also, I am worried I sound very un-educated given my poor use of grammar/the English language. IT is a professional job. If one sounds un-educated, how will they thrive in the field?

As an aspiring Junior Systems Admin, what advice can you guys give me? Should I go to WGU? Should I work the MCSA next?Also, does WGU help you improve sentence structure/grammar. My useless AA did not.Should I give up on my dreams of becoming a Junior Systems Admin because I'm potentially too stupid to become one?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should not give up on your dreams because your potentially too stupid.
    You should only give up if you are incapable of doing the job. Or, you find something different you'd rather do instead.

You finished your AA. You passed the 901 easily. I don't see anything here that is telling me you are incapable.

And, you know what you need to reach your goal. You need training and experience.
    For the training, your studying to pass certification exams. Keep learning more everyday.
    Keep an eye out for opportunities to get some experience when you can.

It is going to take time and lots of work. Loving to learn about technology will keep things interesting to you.
    Those that don't love it, won't stick to it because they don't like it. So, stick to it and enjoy your learning.
  • Options
    I assume anyone can pass both the 901 and 902.

No, not just anyone can pass. Only those knowledgeable in the test material will pass.
    All the questions are easy if you know the answers. And, if you don't know the answer it doesn't matter if you are a genius or not

When I need my car fixed, I take it to an auto mechanic because they have the knowledge and skills to do the job. I don't take it to a java programmer because they are a genius. You don't need to be a genius to be a jr. sysadmin. But, you do need the right knowledge and skills to do the job.

You are gaining the knowledge necessary to reach your goal. You are not going to learn it all over night. So, learn a little everyday. Keep studying and eventually you'll get there.
  • Options
    DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE=clarson;1066849
    When I need my car fixed, I take it to an auto mechanic because they have the knowledge and skills to do the job. I don't take it to a java programmer because they are a genius. You don't need to be a genius to be a jr. sysadmin. But, you do need the right knowledge and skills to do the job.

You are gaining the knowledge necessary to reach your goal. You are not going to learn it all over night. So, learn a little everyday. Keep studying and eventually you'll get there.[/QUOTE]

This, I have a long family history of ASD spectrum. I have a lot of the traits, but don't have it as rough as some of my family members so I know what your up against. I also know that since you know your an aspie, you also probably have the ability to intensely study any subject that becomes your "special interest" since becoming a Systems Admin is your current interest you'll probably become a good one as long as your interest doesn't change for awhile or you don't get caught in the mundane which can happen easily. Keep your focus and your goals and with no experience you'll need that A+ to get a helpdesk job and grow your experiences.

I'd be happy to discuss things with you, PM anytime.
  • Options
    Can decent social skills, a good work ethic, and a passion for tech compensate for a less than average intellect?

Those are traits that everyone in IT has. Even a genius isn't going far in IT without those traits. So, you do have the right traits to be successful in IT. It is also good to have an attention to detail and good organizational skills. But, you will need these skills to study for and to pass certification exams.

Employers are also looking for good troubleshooting skills. This involves critical thinking, problem solving, and prioritizing. These are things that you will need to learn as a jr. sysadmin. As you gain experience, your trouble shooting skills should improve.

So, work on improving these skills as you are studying. They are useful skills to have no matter what you desire to do for a career.
  • Options
    CptFalconCptFalcon Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A little bit of a background regarding me:

-I have a job as a conference set up person/shipping assistant contractor at a Federal agency. I deal with the public on a daily basis.

-I have Aspergers syndrome.

-I have a useless Associate of Arts from a Community College. I'm willing to pursue a Bachelors in IT if needed to become a Junior Systems Admin.

-I have no experience in IT, but im very interested in the field.<

-I am working on my A+. I just passed the 901 a week ago(it was really easy). Next, I plan to pass the 902 in Jan/early Feb.<

-I don't expect to get any job after my A+. I assume anyone can pass both the 901 and 902. I am of below average intelligence and found the 901 test to be very easy.

-I want to get my MCSA after this. Is it possible to pass all three of the Microsoft test with no experience?

As mentioned before, I have a below average intellect. However, I LOVE learning about technology. Can decent social skills(somehow I have a decent social skills for an aspie as my job requires it), a good work ethic, and a passion for tech compensate for a less than average intellect? Basically, It takes me longer to learn concepts. I'm worried about my slow learning speed given the rate and which technology changes. Also, I am worried I sound very un-educated given my poor use of grammar/the English language. IT is a professional job. If one sounds un-educated, how will they thrive in the field?

As an aspiring Junior Systems Admin, what advice can you guys give me? Should I go to WGU? Should I work the MCSA next?Also, does WGU help you improve sentence structure/grammar. My useless AA did not.Should I give up on my dreams of becoming a Junior Systems Admin because I'm potentially too stupid to become one?

Thanks,

My advice to is this:

DO NOT GIVE UP!

Get the A+ and the Network + first, this will show that you have initiative and you don't just sit on your ass.

You already have an AA; that means you are able to follow through a difficult ordeal (learning about something and that you're committed) and this means that you are trainable!

Get a BS as soon as you can, doesn't matter if you're working and doing school at the same time. This will show to potential employers that you're a go getter and want to better yourself. Most companies offer training and tuition reimbursement.

Go to it!
  • Options
    CptFalcon wrote: »
    My advice to is this:

DO NOT GIVE UP!

Get the A+ and the Network + first, this will show that you have initiative and you don't just sit on your ass.

You already have an AA; that means you are able to follow through a difficult ordeal (learning about something and that you're committed) and this means that you are trainable!

Get a BS as soon as you can, doesn't matter if you're working and doing school at the same time. This will show to potential employers that you're a go getter and want to better yourself. Most companies offer training and tuition reimbursement.

Go to it!

Thanks! I should also note that I know the value of time and effort. I am not sure how relevant this is. However, it took me 10 years to bodybuilding myself from 120-130 to 215 pounds at 21 percent bodyfat. I am working on cutting now down to 215.

My point is,I know how much time and work things take.

Also, I look very normal. I am not sure if that matters in IT. I don't look disabled.

Thanks
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you get into IT, you might be surprised at how many people exhibit traits associated with Asperger's or are just otherwise "odd" but what matters is your ability. If you have a competent manager (a stretch, I know) he'll give you tasks that fit your strengths while limiting those that don't. I'd happily have a trained and engaged person who might be of below-average intelligence as opposed to someone highly-skilled who has an attitude and insists on going his own way. The first has a solid role in my group, the second is looking to get fired/laid-off.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    When you get into IT, you might be surprised at how many people exhibit traits associated with Asperger's or are just otherwise "odd" but what matters is your ability. If you have a competent manager (a stretch, I know) he'll give you tasks that fit your strengths while limiting those that don't. I'd happily have a trained and engaged person who might be of below-average intelligence as opposed to someone highly-skilled who has an attitude and insists on going his own way. The first has a solid role in my group, the second is looking to get fired/laid-off.

I don't have an attitude, and I seem to have a very likable personality. There isn't a single person at my job who dislikes me.

I am almost 30 btw. I will upload a video giving a description of what I have talked about in this thread to show you my Aspergers.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have an attitude, and I seem to have a very likable personality. There isn't a single person at my job who dislikes me.

I am almost 30 btw. I will upload a video giving a description of what I have talked about in this thread to show you my Aspergers.

My advice to you, do not do that. Keep your medical history personal. It is fine to bring it up here so you can get advice and feedback on how to tackle various issues anonymously as you have done but please do not post videos for the general public and do not mention your situation to any co-worker unless it's HR or your manager. In fact you shouldn't have to mention the situation on interviews either. That is your personal medical history, do not give people reasons to create an opinion about you before they even know your skills or your personality, they will instantly develop a bias thinking or approach against you that will hinder your progress or involvement in various projects and other co-workers might perceive you differently also.
  • Options
    Nope, nope, nope, nope. Keep some level of anonymity.

Being able to get along is a very under-rated part of employment by many techs. Too many thing that the only thing that counts is ability then wonder why they're the first to get laid-off. Once you pass the technical hurdle, everything else is being a contributing member of the group.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Nope, nope, nope, nope. Keep some level of anonymity.

Being able to get along is a very under-rated part of employment by many techs. Too many thing that the only thing that counts is ability then wonder why they're the first to get laid-off. Once you pass the technical hurdle, everything else is being a contributing member of the group.

Well, then I guess to prove the value of hard work. I will post these images(with everyones face blocked out for privacy). To show you the bodybuilding progress I have made over 10-12 years. It took a very very long time. The one on the right is from 10 years ago. My point is, I don't give up. Everyone told me to give up and that I would never be built. Now, I have proved everyone wrong. I So, I am willing to spend 5-8 years of really hard work to become a System Admin if I have to.

I don't know if anyone is into bodybuilding here. I am not showing you these pics to show off. I am displaying them to prove that I'm willing to work REALLY hard to accomplish a goal for years. I have had a few people tell me I am too stupid to thrive in a career in IT. From what you are all telling me here, a good attitude and hard work can override that.

The one on the left is now. The one on the right is from 10 years ago. I am probably 15% bodyfat then at 130 pounds. Now I am 22%ish at 219-220. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and don't ever give up.

The
  • Options
    MideMide Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I were you I'd try to first get a solid desktop support job. This will allow you to get more experience in the workplace and also get used to a AD domain environment. After you get this job, keep on learning to show that you want to move over to the sys admin/server side of the house. Some things that would show this would be MS Certs relating to servers, powershell scripting and automation, learning about server security, IIS, etc. Become the go-to desktop person, both technically and project-wise (be the responsible IT worker that mgmt can depend on).

Many desktop support folks I know will not do anything 'extra' in terms of education and just expect to move up to a sys admin role just because they want it; they don't move up. So you always have to show that you are somehow learning and have interest for a new position.
  • Options
    Effort is good and results show results. That said, lifting weights (not going to say bodybuilding until you have competed) is not the same as tech. One pays far better for a living, guess which.