Options

Passed today(723), now a+ certified

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all, thank you to all who took the time to respond(or try to respond) to any of my questions on the forum

The OS portion of the exam was more difficult than the core part.

Tricky questions like "what is the command line that is used to boot to windows so it only utilizes only a certain amount of it's available physical memory"(not an actual question from the exam, just similar)

Regardless of some tricky questions these exams seem really easy to pass. Probably mostly because of the low mark they require.

This may be too much information for people(boring details) but here is what worked for me:
(note I've been working as a service technician for a year at a computer store)

Last Thursday Finished a+ core exam

Saturday I started studying by reading the entire OS section in the a+ for dummies book.

Sunday i read it over again looking at the parts that i didn't have down pat.

Monday night I did all the OS questions from http://mcmcse.com/ (average about 80%)

Tuesday night did 200 questions from http://www.free-tests.com/.
(average about 80%)

Wednesday night i played earthbound because my test was the next day and I felt like relaxing a bit.

Thursday i passed my exam.

Anyways i best be off to start reading my Network+ book since i'm in a motivated kind of mood.

Comments

• Options
    KfrazierKfrazier Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats ...
    I think the OS test was a little harder than the Hardware but I actually scored higher on the OS which was rather shocking to me.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!

Good luck with the Network+ exam.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    elathropelathrop Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation, noone!

Just last night I got a similar question on a practice test I was taking. I'm not sure but I think it's the same topic as the question you encountered on your Comp TIA OS test. The question asked, something like, what switch can you use in the boot.ini to prevent Windows from booting with all available Ram?" I had NO idea! I was unable to find anything about this in any of my study books, either. So, I went to Microsoft.

Microsoft talks about a MAXMEM switch which you place at the end of the ARC path that is specified in the [operating systems] section of the Boot.ini file. That would look something like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 2000 P" /MAXMEM=64

They say this switch is valuable in troubleshooting parity errors. (I guess!?!)

I don’t have the link to the Microsoft page I was reading, but those interested can search MAXMEM and you will find it.
    Webmaster for calendardaze.com ezcalculator.com and digitizedvideo.com
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, that is what you would have to know to answer the question.

Thanks