Options

I always hear about great salaries, am I underpaid?

BlazinkewpBlazinkewp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know this question is always asked and there's often too many variables to accurately answer this, but I honestly can't figure out if I've got a great thing going for me or if I'm missing out on a lot more money.

Short background: I have bachelors and masters degrees in computer information systems. I have been a unix engineer for the past 8 years for multi billion dollar companies and am currently senior level and about to be promoted to more of a subject matter expert for unix type of role for the organization.

I currently make a little under 76K and live in Syracuse, NY. The new promotion might be as low as a 5% increase but would take me off on-call.

Cost of living here is pretty low despite high taxes. I have a few certifications and get to go to 2-3 training classes per year and have outstanding benefits. I sometimes have to do after hours work but typically work about a 40 hour week.

I'm consistently a high performer and am very good at my job and considered an expert with RHEL, AIX and OS security.

Currently, I have no reason to fear layoffs or anything like that. I regularly receive a 3-3.5% raise and tiny bonus with a boatload of sick and vacation time. I enjoy work and my coworkers.

All of that being said, all of the salary sites say the median person in my role in my area is over 90K. Am I underpaid? What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a very small city with a lack of opportunities. I say you have to be willing to move in order to get paid okay.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You could definitely be making more with the right company. If you're in a small market look for remote gigs. If you're good on the unix side look into devops. Lots of flexibility in that space right now it seems.

Or if you're happy where you are and what you make who cares?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is always a job out there that will pay more. But from what you described, you sound like you may like your job and working environment. I have to agree with networker050184. If you are happy, it shouldn't matter.

But if you want more - test the waters and look for another job or speak with your management about other opportunities. Good luck.
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simple answer = yes. You really should be near 90k even in a mid-market with that experience/education mix. Any major city and you'd get more.

Def agree with others, sometimes you can't put a price tag on a great work environment, so perhaps you're in a good spot. A key point to watch out for are the raises and opportunities - once they stop or slow down, I'd get worried.
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP,

It's our markets. I'm in Rochester and the jobs just don't pay due to the lower CoL.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One word. Yes...Most senior level unix/linux engineers in major cities are making 90K or above on average...and that include in low cost of living cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.

If you are in a small city where there aren't many opportunities that maybe driving your salary down as companies don't have as much competition with other companies. Also a lot of time it's as simple as asking for more money.
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    sj4088 wrote: »
    One word. Yes...Most senior level unix/linux engineers in major cities are making 90K or above on average...and that include in low cost of living cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.

I hope there is another city named Atlanta besides Atlanta, GA. Because Atlanta, GA CoL is outrageous.
  • Options
    roibosroibos Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow they are really ripping you off. You should make more than 90k a year by now. You should talk with your boss about your salary if you can. Since you have been with the company for so many years I can't imagine they will say No.
    I'll be honest, I left my previous company for money reasons and even moved across the globe to earn more. Now I work for Linseis in Germany and am very happy with my salary. So what I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask for more and don't think it's the end of the world if you have to look for a new job! There are always opportunities all over the world, you just have to take them :)