SANS India 2017

GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
Just applied to facilitate SANS India 2017. I don't see much of anybody applying for overseas Work Study Programs. First and foremost I would like to say thank you and don't you start applying for them now. I've done a Work Study this year and went above and beyond contributing to the event. I said in a previous post I probably wouldn't apply to be a facilitator to any more but I put my foot in my mouth. I am not desperate to add another GIAC cert so I wouldn't be mad if I was denied. I still have an OnDemand training to purchase next month that the company is mostly paying for. I think I have a great chance though of getting the approval. I wish I would of planned sooner. The SANS hotel rates (if selected) expire a few weeks prior to the event. Not sure how much of a "discount" it was but it's better than nothing. The last event the "discount" expired a few days prior to approval. Being that they stay in the best 4-5 star hotels in the city expensive is expensive. Although you can stay in other (cheaper) hotels but why? You just get home later and get up earlier to be on time. Nothing against being cheap, but if I were I would choose that option. If I get the accept I'll update this thread...

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good luck. I'm the king of getting declined, I was never approved any SANS event icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Good luck. I'm the king of getting declined, I was never approved any SANS event icon_lol.gif

It's a strategy I use. I can't give out my strategy to getting approved yet. One day when I am done getting GIAC certs in the next 365 days I will possibly post my strategy. I don't need every single GIAC cert possible, just a handful'ish that interest me and cater to my degree. I actually pay attention to how many people look at my posts, including this one. So I am not going to put myself at a ridiculous disadvantage. .. It's like telling your hand in poker (but not bluffing).

I do wish you all the luck in the world.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

Just curious, do you say you available to facilitate anywhere or do you restrict your interest to cities within a few hour drive from where you live? ie no plane trips. I would guess the more flexible you are, the more likely they would have an opening somewhere. Than again facilitating seems to be more popular now, with the ever rising tuition costs.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I don't say that I'm available here or there, I just apply to Australian cities, so I'm open to interstate as well

I don't say that I'm available here or there, I just apply to Australian cities, so I'm open to interstate as well

My personal key to success is applying outside of my immediate area. Personally I already had a cert prior to being accepted into facilitation land. In my own opinion from a company perspective If I had to choose someone who has a GIAC cert and someone who doesn't to facilitate I'd pick the one who did. That person knows the material, a few classes have like material, and others piggyback on each other. The facilitation package is about 7k. that's with everything included. Would you rather bet your money on a horse that has experience racing or a horse that has never raced before? Like I said I know what priority SANS allegedly goes off of but who am I to say yay or nay that was used to pick me.

I've heard of people getting accepted with no prior GIAC certs. It's not uncommon. Just keep the faith!
    Thanks! and good points. I was thinking that too, and hence my spending the holidays getting a SANS cert!

Travelling FROM​ Australia is expensive though, but you know what I'll apply to SEA region, why not.

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    So, if you apply to facilitate in a different country, are you also responsible for travel costs to get there? Or does SANS cover travel fees?
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Member Posts: 80 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're responsible for the travel costs to get there.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I have applied to SANS courses from different countries and states. I did 3 in India ( I was in different states ) - They cover only the course. The rest is still on you. Flights, hotels, food outside of the duration of the course etc. I did 2 in Australia ( I live in New Zealand ). Same stuff. Best of luck for the course in India. Have you applied to the one in Bangalore/Bengaluru ? I can help suggest hotels / places to visit etc.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

I have applied to SANS courses from different countries and states. I did 3 in India ( I was in different states ) - They cover only the course. The rest is still on you. Flights, hotels, food outside of the duration of the course etc. I did 2 in Australia ( I live in New Zealand ). Same stuff. Best of luck for the course in India. Have you applied to the one in Bangalore/Bengaluru ? I can help suggest hotels / places to visit etc.

I received the you were not selected email for the Dubai event. I wasn't upset considering I've been to Dubai more than my fingers can count. I haven't yet received the horrible you were not selected for the India event or others I requested. So currently I am 1-1 with WorkStudies. I prefer to stay In the same hotel as the event. I get to sleep earlier and wake up later. I was leaving my hotel room and being down to the office in 5 minutes. So if I am ever selected again I'll stay with the SANS staff. They liked to get drunk pretty regular so it helps to be able to jump In an elevator. I am not a big drinker. But it was offered and bought for the students and staff/work study participants. Or, maybe it was just because I did a Work Study in Europe...

I don't remember the India event. Whichever one is in the next less than 30 days or so. I've bought tickets to other places. So, I don't think I will be able to go if accepted. I just can't stop LIFE while SANS figures out if they are going to accepted me or not. I am taking a SANS OnDemand course now. It was approved in 2016. Since it's 2017 I am going to see if I can get my company to pay for another. Since I can only do one a year. Technically it was approved in 2016, they didn't say I had to pass the exam in 2016.