Options

How to transition from R/S network engineer to niche track like data center

hewitcmhewitcm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I actually started out as Cisco VoIP helpdesk, but have been working in routing and switching for several years. I have had a CCNP R/S, and a CCNA-voice and just recently passed CCNA-data center.

At this point, I am working as a contractor migrating all of a bank's branches to new routers and switches, and it's a good paying gig. I want to eventually move into a more niche network engineer path like data center since I am interested in virtualization and think that is the direction things are heading.

I do not want to go back to voice and only took that position to break into the Cisco world. Been struggling with this choice of pursuing a CCIE in route/switch or learning more about virtualization and data center. I know people will say to pursue your interests, but I want to follow a path that will benefit my career and the one that will be financially worthwhile as well as my interest.

Do I need to take less and take a DC position somehow? I am also not sure how to go about that, but I would do it. I've gone back and forth, but right now I think I'll pursue CCIE in route/switch and then hopefully be able to transition once I have that type of authority and trust and will be allowed to work in other areas of a network. I'm a little worried that I'll be only considered for certain positions with a CCIE R/S and not allowed to transition and work in other networking tracks, but that's probably a little paranoid if I'm honest.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have moved around quite a bit in my career. R&S, VoIP, Service Provider, DC, cloud, automation. I've also never had to take a pay cut other than some small differences in cost of living moving between metros. At the end of the day if you know you're stuff someone will give you a chance. Especially to DC if you're good at R&S. At the end of the day you're still routing and switching packets. There's BGP, OSPF, STP, etc. The implementations of these might differ, but that's the easy part. Finding someone with a solid foundation is the hard part. For example I can teach a guy load balancing if he understands ethernet, IP and standard packet flows. vPC is easy to learn if you understand switching and etherchannel. VxLAN is just built upon the same basics as everything else.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hewitcmhewitcm Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I just need to look for those type of roles and apply for it. I do good in interviews, and I've been studying and practicing DC and VMware topics a lot. Even putting money towards lab rentals to practice and poking around the production environment at the bank I work for.

I know I'll get there and that I'm worrying about nothing really. I am not sure if I should continue to study DC and go towards CCNP-DC even though I don't really have experience in that role or towards my R/S CCIE. I think I might let my next role determine which way I go with that though. Ultimately, I know that I want to eventually get a CCIE-DC, but I'd like to get more real-world experience before going all out in that direction.