Options

Vacation - what to do?

binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a weeks worth of vacation left and am using that this week the 19th - 25th. I want to make a difference in my life and know that takes time studying in this field. With that being said it is the holidays and my family is expecting to spend time with me. I've read so many people's blogs that it takes sacrifice of time spent with friends and family in order to achieve goals set in place. Is this a time where I need to bite the bullet and hit the books or should I pass on this opportunity to study to spend it with the family. I'm 25, live an hour away from them and have all my material/lab equipment located where I am and won't be able to utilize it if I do. However, I know I will have some parents that will be deeply hurt and upset with me. What should I do or what would you do?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Family time is my priority. I study whenever I get a free moment outside of that. I'm going back to LA to visit my family for the holidays and plan to take some study material to look at whenever I have a moment.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    why can't you VPN/RDP into your lab network from afar? easy to set up
  • Options
    binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    You want to lab during quiet time just build a simple , if even software based, VPN.

Go spend time with family. You would regret it if something happened to a family member and you didn't get to see them because you decided to lab instead of go.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ok, this is actually WAY easier than you think. As you get older, and eventually have a family of your own, you will have to ignore the gilt trips that your family members put on you. When I was 25, single, and out of the house, I always looked forward to going back home, and going out of my way to see others, yet many of them didn't come to see me during the year. This situation also applies when it comes to hanging out with friends. You have to decide what is more important, the bar, or studying and getting ahead in life. I think the latter is the better choice. At this point in your life, your career will take priority. I totally understand that you taking 1 day to go see family would screw your studying time up.

My question for you is what are you studying for right now? Do you have an exam setup right after the holidays? Do you have an end goal in mind here? If you do have an exam setup, tell them that you are studying for that right now, and it's important that you studying and pass the exam. If you don't have something setup, then I don't see why you can't take a few hours out of 1 day to enjoy yourself. You can offer to come to their house after the holidays, or don't if they give you crap. They may not understand what you are doing now, but if you continue your path, they will. :)
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    what about a compromise? Go see your parents on Xmas, spend some time and the rest of thr vacation to include leftover from Xmas you spend studying? A few hours with family isn't going to mess up your studying.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kiki162 wrote: »
    You have to decide what is more important, the bar, or studying and getting ahead in life.

I have to think about this one. :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS