Options

Certifications for Federal Law Enforcement

emcconnellemcconnell Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Tech Exams,

I was wondering if anyone had experience working in or with law enforcement, specifically at a federal level. I want to work towards a job as a 1811 criminal investigative in cyber crimes.

What certifications are law enforcement agencies looking for?
What events or contest (CTF?) would put me on the radar to be recruited?
Are FLE agencies more interested in forensics, security, pentesting, networking?
What kind of work skills would be important to demonstrate?
Does anyone here work for FBI, DEA, ATF, USMS, USSS, DSS? CIA or NSA?

My background: I have a M.S. in Computer Science and have worked professionally as a programmer my entire career. I have a CEH and will test to get a Security+ very soon. I was planning on studying for an OSCP next year. In 2015, I interviewed to be a FBI Special Agent - Cyber, flew through the testing with ease and got a conditional job offer from the DoJ only to fail the polygraph before going to Quantico (polygraphs are another conversation). I am confident I can pass any future polygraphs to obtain TSC/SC.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For Federal Government related jobs, I would make sure you meet the DoD Directive 8570 requirements for cyber security related positions.

https://certification.comptia.org/why-certify/government
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly your Masters would more than fit the bill for any federal agency that was looking to fill a cyber spot. I've worked with or know agents with FBI, Secret Service and ICE. Most did not have any certifications before coming on board with their agency. I have friends who were with NSA and as far as law enforcement goes it's mainly just their Police Officers (they do have investigators as well). As far as I know they don't do too much in the way of cyber related investigations and the same goes for their investigators. The same would apply with CIA as it is an intelligence agency and deals with an intelligence mission (but they have stood up a cyber directorate and have computer forensic people).

My suggestion would be to looks towards forensic certifications and anything that would deal in the investigation of a cyber incident (typically SANS would probably be the main certs to look towards). OSCP would certainly help since knowing how an adversary acts would help to investigate a crime. Just know that they will provide the training you need so I wouldn't go overboard because you might end up having to sit through courses you've done.

I would also look towards local law enforcement as a lot of agencies pick up cops/detectives. With some very stiff competition no reason to limit yourself.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not nearly the same as an 1811, but I took a course a few years ago that was taught by an FBI Computer Forensic Examiner who was working with our local RCFL. I was the only traditional IT person in the class, and made it a point of asking about certifications to get into his line of work (law enforcement as a whole) and what certs he had. Turned out the only non-internal certs he had were the A+, Net+, and Sec+. The other certs he had were FBI / DoJ-specific ("internal") certifications and training. He did, however, have a Masters in Computer Science and was a former Border Agent, which he told me played a large part in his hiring... already familiar with the law enforcement world and all.

YMMV... and good luck!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!