Passed RHCSA!!!

I passed the RHCSA. With that being said, this was the third time I sat for it.

The first time, my configs didn't survive and couldn't be graded. 0/300.

The second time, I got a 199/300.

Third time is the charm, with me passing 266/300.

The funny thing is that each time I took the test, I thought I was on the borderline of passing and failing.

It took me six months of self study to pass. I used Linux Academy for my main study method, and Michael Jang's book as my secondary source.

The RHCE is my next goal. After that, I'm undecided whether to go with the Red Hat Open Stack or AWS.

If you have any questions that don't break the NDA, I'll be more than happy to help.

Good luck future RHCSAs.
Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • egyasia.comegyasia.com Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi hannism ,

Congratz on the pass , I have less than 1 week to go on the exam on the 30 Dec , do you think mike Jang's book + CentOS lab is enough to prepare for the exam? did this book covered all your exam questions or there was some missing? so one should consider reading other materials beside this book?

Regards
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    Hi egyasia.com,

That's an excellent question. The first time I looked at the Michael Jang book. I wasn't impressed. I was like wow, that material is way over my head. After going through the linxacademy.com course, I looked it over again. The book is very good. It actually touches on material deeper than what is provided on linux academy.

I don't think the book is well suited for folks who are beginning Linux. The only reason I say this is because although the material maybe have been presented, I think someone may glaze over important information/material.

A good, free website or study site would be https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-rhcsa-ex200/

They have a question of the day. Every time you go to a link on their page, you'll see a new EX200 question. That's another tool that you can measure where you are at. I would say those questions are similar to the format of questions you'll see on the test.

But, yes, if you did a lot of labs on a CentOS environment, then you should be good to go with Mike Jang's book.

I really hope and wish you pass on your first attempt. If you have any questions that won't break the NDA, please let me know. Again, best of luck.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    3rd times a charm, welcome to the club hannism.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you mean your configs didnt survive on the 1st attempt?

Did you do a reboot before finishing to make sure everything would work?
    When I questioned Red Hat on my 0/300 score, they told me that they couldn't grade my exam. I did reboot my system, and was able to login. Red Hat didn't tell me anything else....
  • egyasia.comegyasia.com Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks hannism for your reply and thanks for the advice , I did pass with 250/300 , I missed 3 questions , 2 of them I knew the answers very well but couldn't focus because I only slept off 2 hours the night before the exam because it was in a different city and I had to travel 3 hours to get there , it was really stressfull reading all mike jang RHCSA 500 pages in 5 days while doing the labs and going on with normal life with work & family but well anyway it's over , are u preparing now for RHCE , any recommendations ? , I want to also sit in for it while I'm still hot on linux then do CCNA or do u think doing CCNA first will be better? as I see you already got it and maybe u can advise me further ,
    Regards and happy new year :)

hannism wrote: »
    Hi egyasia.com,

That's an excellent question. The first time I looked at the Michael Jang book. I wasn't impressed. I was like wow, that material is way over my head. After going through the linxacademy.com course, I looked it over again. The book is very good. It actually touches on material deeper than what is provided on linux academy.

I don't think the book is well suited for folks who are beginning Linux. The only reason I say this is because although the material maybe have been presented, I think someone may glaze over important information/material.

A good, free website or study site would be https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-rhcsa-ex200/

They have a question of the day. Every time you go to a link on their page, you'll see a new EX200 question. That's another tool that you can measure where you are at. I would say those questions are similar to the format of questions you'll see on the test.

But, yes, if you did a lot of labs on a CentOS environment, then you should be good to go with Mike Jang's book.

I really hope and wish you pass on your first attempt. If you have any questions that won't break the NDA, please let me know. Again, best of luck.
    Congratulations on the pass.

I'm going to continue on with the RHCE.

The CCNA isn't as difficult as the RHCSA. If you go that path, focus on the binary math and subnetting until you can do it in your sleep. Once you can do that, then focus on the other parts, OSPF, STP, CDP, etc.

I think going for the RHCE is the most logical thing to do. But, you'll have to make the best decision for yourself.

In my opinion, getting the RHCE will make you more valuable than your CCNA.