Options

Advice for those entering into their first IT gig

ming746ming746 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
First and foremost avoid office politics at all cost. Stay away from the gossipers Don't take sides on such things if you are the new guy and have yet to make friends or know someone there or you will make an enemy at management level and your job is on borrowed time. Go in be friendly and helpful. Don't wait to be asked to pick up a dropped ball. An IT team should strive to be the best in the world and comradery is everything.

And never start out by being that guy or girl that thinks he or she knows everything and wants to make a coworker look bad just so you can look good. Tact and presentation in all things.

I post this cause I've seen many people come into a job for the first time armed with the technical know how but devoid of any knowledge on how a team works and functions.

You are not there to compete with one another but there to strengthen each piece of the chain so the whole which is your IT TEAM can be the best there is. There are no individuals. Dedication and loyalty above all else.

Go in and embrace them and they will embrace you and don't worry if you run across that one ase hole. Every company has one. Best friends or brother n law with the boss or just a regular wizard who's so good he can act any way he wants to without fear of reprisal from management. These goons you simply ignore if possible until its required other wise.

Here's to a happy and strong 2017 in all our career ventures guys/gals.

Let's get it!!

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Absolutely agree 100% but unfortunately, my last proper workplace was the opposite of that. It was FULL to the brim of office politics. I had been working there for approximately 1 week when one of my "colleagues" asked me to order some IT kit. It's a long story but he basically led me down the garden path so A) he could get out of doing the work and B) make me look bad in the process. His trick worked and it made me look stupid in front of 2-3 other members of staff and that was it. For the 2-3 months I worked there, life was hell. I walked out of the job because there was no possible way I could come back from it all. My years of reputation i'd built up had been destroyed in a week by some lazy, fat IT guy who did absolutely nothing at all. He shouldn't have a job - and that's not me being bitter...

After he had returned from annual leave, the guy would re-install Windows on his PC - every time and get away with it. Staff/managers would turn a blind eye. I've never seen anything like it in my entire career. Any possible way he could waste time (and get paid) he'd do it. I didn't want to associate myself with it and chose to leave.
  • Options
    So sorry my friend but you bring up another very valid point that I left out, always be Leary of those IT !managers hho don't know jack **** who socially engineer their way in and then try and get those under then to take on the load and do their job.

They have no accountability and blame any mistakes on those who did their job for them. They should not even be in an IT department and try and make those under them do their job.

Its a tricky situation cause those new to the company don't want to say no to the boss and or want to step up and be a team player.

The fault rest on the IT managers shoulders but there is not much you can do afterwards cause if you go to the owner you look likje as trouble maker and most times you get canned and the IT manager bullshits his or her way through.

Lesson here guys...LEARN THE POLITICS!!!
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And leave the girls ALONE !! Don't be hitting on them or telling them how cute they are

Seen it many times when the Jr desktop hot stud comes in and lasts a month because HR has all these complaints of this guy bothering them.

Leave "play" out of the work place and don't go drinking with anyone.
  • Options
    That too.

Remember you are there for a professional setting not to frolic and nothing is going to out a red flag on you faster than some creep that crosses the line and started flirting with the cute chic in the department.

Keep it friendly but professional. If you are a real team you will start to bond outside the work place. I encourage everyone to hang out after hours or on the weekends. You can't fake comradery and that is built by time together and sharing a common goal.

All ships must sail in the same direction. There is a time and place for everything.