Options

Interesting Cyber Security training model

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I came across a startup here in Chicago that is offering an interesting model of cyber security training. They start you off with a 4 week remote/self-paced section to cover the basics: application stack fundamentals, networking fundamentals, data security and defense, and current threat landscape. After that is done you go on-site to their facilities for 13 weeks to cover security program creation, social engineering, defense architecture, OS hardening, crypto, vulnerability detection, forensics and IR, and finally leadership training and interview preparation.

According to their site the goal is to prepare the candidate to be a Cyber Security Analyst. The program cost is $10,000. Doing some OSINT I found that as part of their services they seem to provide semi-professional looking pics to their students so they can use them on LinkedIn and similar. I also noticed that many students list the course as what looks like job experience under the title of "Security Associate". I am unsure if they are actually doing some work for the training provider's partners or if they are just listing what they labbed in class.

I have no first hand knowledge of the quality of the classes so I can't comment on that. However, I am wondering if this may be the start if a new trend. My two questions to TE are:

- Have you seen similar offerings anywhere?
- For those interested in security, would you be willing to sign up for this type of program at the price stated above?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely sounds interesting. Hopefully they offer a couple certifications in the program otherwise will probably still be hard for the person to find a position.

One pricing plan that I think would attract more people is have a lower initial cost and then take a percentage of the person's first year salary after they obtain a position. Of course you have a risk there, but the volume increase would cover it I assume.
  • Options
    Good point. I forgot to add the include a voucher for Security+.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's refreshing to hear/see something different out there to help people get into this field, but at that price point I can only imagine they are hoping to get a specific breed of folks. Probably freshly cut military kids with money to burn and no job prospects. The Security+ should be the minimum they offer after getting out of this course, not just a resume buffing and some glitzy Linked-In shine. I don't want to sound like a downer but at that price-point it's disturbing for me to consider. That's over 4 months worth of dedication (assuming it's fulltime coursework) and who has time to do that and work at that cost, especially with living costs assumed by the course-taker. I studied for/took the Sec+ and passed with self-study in a month for free (minus the $300 voucher cost which was discounted by 10% with free book coupon). I hope to see someone take notice of this model and improve on it and make it more affordable as well as less time-intensive.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Good point. I forgot to add the include a voucher for Security+.

I don't know, ten grand for a Security+ seems steep in my opinion. They should toss in a CEH or something for that kind of money. At least say the training will prepare you for taking the CEH or something similar, not necessarily include a voucher in the training. I'd sign up, but I don't qualify. Don't have proficiency in (Python, Ruby, Perl), no degree and my Linux is a little weak. Guess I'll have to content flipping burgers for the rest of my life.

Candidates satisfy at least two (2) of the following are more strongly considered:
    • 1 - 3 years IT or development experience
    • Basic understanding of networking and/or application concepts
    • Proficiency in a scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.)
    • Working knowledge of common operating systems and familiarity with command line operation (Windows and Linux)
    OR
    • Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems from an Accredited Organization
    OR
    • One or more IT Certifications:
      • CISSP
      • Security +
      • CCNA
      • Network +
      • *Other certifications may be considered.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So basically a coding boot camp, which were all the rage 3-4 years ago, only with a cyber security theme. Not sure coding boot camps are still all the rage or not. Could be successful; cyber seems more popular than ever these days. Thanks Mr. Robot.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You could pay what like $20,000 more and get a masters degree (assuming you had a bachelors) from SANS or just the certifications....a much more well known organization.
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    This is the sort of racket that has been running in Asia/Middle East for years. Nobody who comes through one of those programs is going to be "experienced and knowledgeable".
  • Options
    infohuntinfohunt Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They have a job fair each term and try to place you with their contacts (companies in the industry who interview you). If they don't think you are employable, they do not accept you to the program in the first place.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    You could pay what like $20,000 more and get a masters degree (assuming you had a bachelors) from SANS or just the certifications....a much more well known organization.
    More like almost 40K more, compared to 10K total. In the end it really depends on how good the training is, and if someone can get a job afterwards. If someone goes from jobless or level 1 helpdesk, which can be near min wage to 60K+ as security analyst, then it would hard to be say it's a ripoff. My local community college charges up to 2K just for the A+ classes, SANS courses run over 1K a day if you want the exam too, it's all relative.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    "The cost per credit hour is currently $1,250. Therefore, charges for individual courses in the program vary. Because each master's program is comprised of courses requiring a cumulative 36 credit hours, the program will cost approximately $15,000 per year for three years, or $47,000 to complete."

Yeah I was more just saying the cost difference is probably justified since SANS is a major source of InfoSec knowledge vs an unknown entity. Not necessarily saying it is a ripoff but for InfoSec certs with the exception of Cisco certs, maybe the CISSP, and GIAC certs...why would somebody want to pay for a boot camp. There are so many inexpensive resources that paying $1,000-2,000 seems ludicrous.
  • Options
    @infohunt, did you go through the program? We could use a review.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would agree with @yoba222 - it sounds exactly like the coding bootcamps which are still common. The premise isn't to make you an expert per se but to give the student some hands-on overview of different tools, techniques, and lingo that is used in real world. The coding bootcamps today usually do a decent job if the student is motivated. I've seen the model applied to data science so I would imagine it can apply to cyber security as well.