Cisco's CCNA Security course

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So towards the beginning of this year I had it in my mind I was going to start studying for CCNA:Sec exam and ended up purchasing this course: Impletmenting Cisco Network (IINS) v3

During that time I got a job as Security Analyst and started working on other things and ended going after a couple other certifications. I never really got much into this course I bought, which was only $350 at the time btw. Since then they have made updates to it and jacked the price up. So since I still have access to this course for about another 2 months I have decided I'm going to through the whole thing and knock out the CCNA:Sec. My CCENT is getting close to expiring too so and want to keep some networking certs up to date on the resume.

I'll give my opinion on it as soon I get more into it. Just spent about 30-40 minutes going through a few videos last night. But if anyone has any questions on it feel free to ask!

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck to you! That exam was an absolute bear. At the time I started studying, my funds were pretty low, so I didn't have a chance to purchase Cisco's videos for that price. I did, however, get some training from work, and I bought the OCG from Cisco Press and the Lab Guide.

I would have to say that the most beneficial studying I got was through Boson's practice exams. They were just as tough as the actual exam. I spent a week studying the Boson and doing practice labs in GNS3 before I took the exam.

I'm not sure what the videos above cover, but make sure you spend a bit of time going over FirePOWER on the ASA, and it's extra features. That, and maybe a brief overview of ISE. The exam covers a bit more than what is outlined in the objectives, as has been complained about in the community. Let us know how it goes!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks PCTechLine! Good to know about having to go over Firepower.

Yea I've heard the Boson exams are pretty good. Will probably end up purchasing those closer to the exam. I actually bought a ASA 5505 awhile back and might have to break that out of the closet.
    Just went ahead and booked the exam for the middle of next month. A few days after course expires for me. So far the course has been alright... Have just gone over the first few sections and most it was a high overview of a bunch of different security attacks and different security technologies out there. Nothing really too technical yet. Each section so far is a bunch of short videos, between 3-7 minutes, then there is usually one multiple question about the video right after it. Been going a little slow. Plan on picking up the studying pace now that I have it booked! icon_thumright.gif
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Can't wait to see your "passed" post! I've heard that the lab SIM issues in the exam have been fixed, so hopefully it goes smoothly for you.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently going through this course as well. I think the guy who made the CCNA Security series on Pluralsight did the videos for the official Cisco course as well. The Pluralsight videos follow the outline of the official Cisco course almost to a tee. I definitely recommend checking out the Pluralsight videos if the official Cisco course isn't an option.

Good luck on your test!
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree that the exam was a rough one, not one of Cisco's finest. When I took it, the Sim was very buggy.

FullofBit wrote: »
    I'm currently going through this course as well. I think the guy who made the CCNA Security series on Pluralsight did the videos for the official Cisco course as well. The Pluralsight videos follow the outline of the official Cisco course almost to a tee. I definitely recommend checking out the Pluralsight videos if the official Cisco course isn't an option.

It's definitely Brandon Carroll on the introductory videos, but I always thought it was someone else on all the other videos, as the voice seemed to change dramatically.
    So I got an email this morning from Cisco about a Firepower training course near me. I'm assuming this isn't free... But can't seem to find a price anywhere. I even registered for it and they said they will be sending me an email later with more info. Has anyone done this? Or know the cost?

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Might want to remove that link, it has all of your personal information stored in it.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Ty, weird the info was stored in the link. Thought that was my browser addon autofilling it. I got a reply saying the training was full and am on a waitlist anyways.