Options

Anyone with AT&T Gigapower here?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
It seems AT&T made Gigapower available in my area and it is very enticing. I am currently running Comcast Business at 50Mbps for $109 per month for the sole reason that it was the fastest service I could get when I moved to my subdivision. Chatting with AT&T it seems their offer is $70 per month for the highest tier, no data caps, no install charges, no equipment fees. I'm really trying to find a fault but can't find one.

They require a 1 year agreement so I asked if the price goes up at some point. The rep said "No, if we order the service online now, the price will last for as long as you have the service." Call me skeptic but this sounds like BS. Either that or they are desperate to get some business away from the bigger providers.

So does anyone currently have the service and can provide some feedback?

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have it. But I can comment on their ethics. LIES - they do it all the time. I had some problems with my phone lines recently. Lied out their butts to over-charge me for something they screwed up on.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I don't have it. But I can comment on their ethics. LIES - they do it all the time. I had some problems with my phone lines recently. Lied out their butts to over-charge me for something they screwed up on.

Some details would be nice, if you're willing to divulge...
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had the opposite experience with AT&T after cutting some lines on accident. Comcast, however, charged me to fix their own mistakes.

I guess they all just suck. That being said, I would gladly sign up for fiber if I could get it. Maybe next year my dreams can come true.
  • Options
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Some details would be nice, if you're willing to divulge...
    Sure - I ported in a number and wanted to cancel an old number since it wasn't being used. I was told that I would be able to keep my unlimited data package, and that it'll transfer to the ported number. After about a week or canceling my old number I get a text stating I'm near my limit on on data. Uuuuum, no... I'm on unlimited. Logged into my account, 1GB data share between two phones. My wife and I both travel for work and use hot-spots to get access to our laptops.

So I call them up, they said they could take care of it. They had to open a case, in which would be resolved within 15 days. 15 days later, nothing. I called them up. No case was ever created, apparently. Fine, opened up a new case. 15 days later, nothing. I call them up, apparently the case was created in correctly. 15 days later they said they couldn't resolve my case. I call them up - according to them, I had to bring my old number back to keep unlimited data. So I had to bring my old number back, cancel the ported line and fix it that way.

Point of the story? They stated many, many times that I could transfer my unlimited data package over to my new ported number. They also stated that when I called them to "open a case" that it would definitely be resolved as "they've seen this before". Now I'm battling charges for their mistakes.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    AT&T has an offer that I can't pass up: up to 1Gbps symmetrical, no setup fees, no equipment fees, 30 day money-back, only 1 year contract, allegedly price is locked-in even after contract. I'm currently running Comcast Business 50Mbps for $120 /month. This was the only option I had other than slow AT&T DSL when I moved to my subdivision 3 years ago. I just put the order in and will run it parallel with my current service and see what I get.

My Comcast Business has been solid but don't even get me started with regular Comcast. Pure evil!
  • Options
    $70/mo for a gig up and down seems like a no-brainer!
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    we had AT&T reps going around the neighborhood here in Austin. He told me the same deal, said the house I'm renting is already wired up and everything but when I checked their page, the database doesn't have my address as hot.
    This disjointed data gives me pause.
    Some neighbors were approached too, one of them said that it's nice so far with the service.
    I have Spectrum with up to 300Mbps but apparently my modem doesn't support more than 100. So most times, I get about 50-70Mbps which is a nice change from the 3Mbps that I was getting in my old address lol.
  • Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My apartment in OKC is AT&T-only, and last month I went from a 75Mbps connection to their new 1Gbps service. My bill went from $80 to $90, and didn't have any installation fee or anything since I was already using their service.

It's hard to complain about it. I'll say it's not the most consistent as far as speed goes, where it can dip down to 600Mbps down, or 400Mbps up, but generally it stays around 850-950. Either way, coming from 75Mbps, I can't complain. No data caps or anything either. So instead of buying more SSD space for my vidya games(which I would love to do), I can just rotate them out on a daily basis as needed.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't have it, my friend does though, in Missouri. 600 down wireless, verified here as well. It's beastly.
  • Options
    I wonder what their expansion plans look like? I've seen signs in the Oklahoma City area, but haven't heard of anyone with it yet.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    My only option is ATT or comcrap. Cable is HORRIBLE here, but the only thing worse is going to 1Gig ATT in the area, BECAUSE the line is ONLY down the main road and all the lines into subdivisions is the old wire that they have had for years.

Also, watch out for the rental on gateways...I prefer to purchase my own and not be nickeled and dimed for a gateway...ATT forces the-pay-as-you-go gateway if you make the switch. The last issue I had with my service, the rep asked why I had not upgraded, to which my reply was, 'for 10 years, I have not had a single problem with your service (aDSL) but the past year I cannot keep a solid connection let alone stay anywhere close to 1.3Mpbs, why would I trust your new service?' He did not have a good answer. "Additionally" I said, "I hear I have to rent a gateway". Yes! That way you don't need to maintain anything at all was his reply...again, "with why would I want something subpar when I can purchase the quality of product I prefer to use?"

I do not need much bandwidth, but I do require a solid connection for kids to hit school work and various research projects I work on. We're not streaming movies or such so a good basic connection is fine here.

If you switch, Good luck! It is definitely dependent upon your area. I wish Charter was available here icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have always had a great experience with AT&T... not trying to be an apologist or anything... my stuff worked. I had DSL forever and then switched to U-Verse when it became available; I could only get 24Mbps down... but it was consistently 24Mbps down. I have Comcast [residential] and pay for 150Mbps down... and the speed tests show it at that... but my service is horrible. I get disconnected from things routinely and latency is bad.

If I lived a half mile down the road, I could get AT&T... and I would do it in a heartbeat. We have CenturyLink as the "traditional" telecom provider here and they have plain DSL. Their pricing is great, $35/mo, but they make no guarantees on speed. They said I could have 3Mbps... but some of my neighbors have 12Mbps and the rep has no clue as to why.

We have a fiber provider coming through our area... so I will be checking them out here in 6-7 months when they have finished the build out.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Yes, their aDSL service was fantastic! I am now only running into some issues since their push for Uverse. The neighbors who switched, switched out with a few months because the lag and drops. Reason seems to be the fiber is limited to about .5 mile away with copper lines branching off. In essence, nothing real different from what they had except for paying for more speed and not getting it.

I was the sole location using data service (in my block) from them this summer when I experienced problems and the line tech confirmed that so cleaned up all the dead lines in the box on the road to limit possible noise.

I agree, if in look over the past twelve years I used ATT vs three or four comcrap, I had experienced more outages from comcrap without a doubt.

Just know that I had Charter and most of my friends and family have Charter and have for over a decade without incident...or very, very few.

The caution on uverse is simply that you can only rent your gateway (at least as of six months ago) and fibre runs the main areas and everything else is fed by copper.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At least you have a choice to get a gigabit speed. In Philadelphia, the choices are Comcast or Verizon. Currently looking to switch since I pay $80 for 3.1-7 Mb down/ 768k upload speed for Verizon DSL.
  • Options
    Well, it is not a choice, because by the time the signal reaches the home gateway is is far from gb, which is why all of my neighbors bailed out of unverse and back to cable. I am hold adsl as long as possible. Would be happy with Verizon, but it is unavailable.

My comments were to ensure the OP throughly investigates what he/she will be paying fo as many expected fibre and learned it wasn't really 'available'. Grill them before you sign up, some areas have true gig,others only the illusion of gig...hoping the end user doesn't notice or at least hadn't read the fine print.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I wonder what their expansion plans look like? I've seen signs in the Oklahoma City area, but haven't heard of anyone with it yet.

A coworker just got it in an older park of OKC, south of NW Expressway. Another got it in the Piedmont area. Apparently they have people going door to door selling the service and offering to skip the installation fee.
  • Options
    A coworker just got it in an older park of OKC, south of NW Expressway. Another got it in the Piedmont area. Apparently they have people going door to door selling the service and offering to skip the installation fee.
    One of my friends (who lives near the airport) just got it on Friday. I am extremely jealous. I live in Yukon/Piedmont. Just a waiting game.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Got the service installed today. Took approx 3.5 hours. Best wired speed test was 690↓/925↑, worst was 450↓,830↑. Didn't see any major latency. I'll be moving certain systems to this connection to try out. Comcast business requires 2 months cancellation notice so assuming AT&T remains solid this should be a fairly smooth transition.
  • Options
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Well, it is not a choice, because by the time the signal reaches the home gateway is is far from gb, which is why all of my neighbors bailed out of unverse and back to cable.

Uverse and Gigapower are two separate offerings. Uverse runs across their copper lines, Gigapower is fiber optic to the home.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Got the service installed today. Took approx 3.5 hours. Best wired speed test was 690↓/925↑, worst was 450↓,830↑. .
    One of my friends who just got this said that he had to do quite a few tweaks to get higher speed. I'll ask him what he had done. He was originally getting around 650 up/down. He did mention that the AT&T router controls DHCP and some other stuff on the network - I don't think I'll be too happy with that. I like to be in control of my network. Though, I guess I could just put my network this way: <AT&T router>----<ASA>----<ASUS home router>.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Do they provide you with a modem/router or some media interface for their fiber?
  • Options
    Take a peek here so you can see pics of the on prem stuff.

The gateway they provide is a Pace 5268AC.
  • Options
    Well, holy moly. They say it's active on most websites for my area, but when I go on the website, it is unavailable. Just have to wait for them to run the cable underground, I guess.
    CCNP R/S