Options

Something to remember when studying for Certifications

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm posting this up for myself but hopefully it will also help others too. While studying if you find something confusing or confounding especially in written text remember remember the "Dale Cone of Experience".

Things like text or lectures are very abstract, learning about something through text alone for some is generally not enough to make a concept concrete. If you're trying to learn something and it's just not making sense, try another source of material or try to get hands on with it ASAP then refer back to the material.

Feel free to post your tips & experiences.

Be careful of the "Learning Pyramid" some people present in slides/lectures: https://rapidbi.com/dale-cone-of-experience-misleading-quotes/

kIo4yxh.gif

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I often have difficulties when learning. Especially when reading from a book. I don't know why exactly. I have found my style of learning, or my best method being: watch some videos online (I use INE since my employer has an all-access pass), then read the chapter in a book. Sometimes I can do it vice-versa, but watching videos first usually sets in my brain a lot better.

Also, for most people, trying about it and following the labs really helps, too.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm very much like you in that I prefer to watch the videos first which I find helps me when reading the textbook. I think part of watching the video is that it helps clear a lot of the ambiguities and gives me confidence in that the material is "all that bad".
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great post, never saw the cone before.

Direct purposeful experience IMO is just so dang priceless. That is why it's hard for me to try to learn something that doesn't apply to my job, I know the effort and return is crap compared to doing something new that is expected of me at work.