Options

Is it time to drop part-time IT work off the resume?

RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
Resume real estate is getting tight these days, and that's a good thing; however, I wonder if it's time to drop my part-time IT experience off the resume.

Brief Summary:
* MS CIS
* BS MIS
* 7 years progressive unix engineer experience
* Multiple low level certs (never been a priority at any employer)
* Tons of professional training - 12+ week long AIX and Red Hat courses

Additionally, I have about 5 years of part time IT experience while I was in High School and college. I feel this diversifies my skill set a bit as it involves networking and security working for state government, academia and a private ISP.

I really could use the extra resume space already filling up two pages and having to get creative. Should I drop the part time stuff?

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My opinion: if the part-time work explains a lot of practical experience that the rest of your Resume doesn't and is still relevant, then I would think of a creative way to include it. You don't have to go into extreme details, but when your regular Resume starts looking like a CV, then it may need some tailoring. It also depends on the jobs for which you are applying. I always customize my Resume for each job I apply, so it hardly ever has the same content. I just keep a master copy that has everything I need.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    If your resume is 2 pages long, and you only have 7 years experience, then you need to look into re-formatting your resume. Marissa Mayer, the CEO of Yahoo, has a 1 page resume. If she can have a 1 page resume, you can too.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    Resume real estate is getting tight these days, and that's a good thing; however, I wonder if it's time to drop my part-time IT experience off the resume.

Brief Summary:
    * MS CIS
    * BS MIS
    * 7 years progressive unix engineer experience
    * Multiple low level certs (never been a priority at any employer)
    * Tons of professional training - 12+ week long AIX and Red Hat courses

Additionally, I have about 5 years of part time IT experience while I was in High School and college. I feel this diversifies my skill set a bit as it involves networking and security working for state government, academia and a private ISP.

I really could use the extra resume space already filling up two pages and having to get creative. Should I drop the part time stuff?

How much real estate is filled with certs and professional training? This is a good place to start consolidating, if possible, especially if said training or certs are non-applicable for positions to which you are applying. Like others have said, your resume should hit only the high points and be tailored to each job.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Nothing wrong with part-time work. Keep it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....