Options

Job Duties / Description changed within same company - Separate on resume / linkedin?

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
So I went from "Unified Communications Systems Engineer" last year, to what's called "Remote IT Support Engineer" this year.

I work for an MSP, and while I was on the "UC Team" it was supposed to be mainly voice, but ended up a catch all for anything voice or data infrastructure. Eventually throughout 2016 it was separated into a Voice group that works specifically on all things Cisco Voice related, a Data group that did all things infrastructure related (multi-vendor), and we still collaborated on overlapping things like voice quality issues over VPN or setting up Voice VLAN's on switches.

I ended up going with the Data group, which spans across basically any vendor making network gear, and we touch every type of technology (Firewalls / Routers / Switches / Virtualization / Servers / Etc).

In 2017 myself and a handful of Data and Cloud Engineers have been put under a new hierarchy within the company, with this new title, and basically the responsibilities of full blown Field Network Engineers. As my new title implies, we do everything remotely that doesn't require a live human body on site, with an emphasis now on our Cloud Data Center technologies.

So to the point:

My responsibilities will be dramatically skyrocketing, along with training in cloud / data center technology, however I don't want to overwrite my years of Voice experience as that market is very hot. It's been awhile since I've setup phones / voicemail / troubleshot them, but I get a lot of job offers geared towards that. So I am wondering if on my resume and linkedin as well, if I should put a break in the history as though it's a new job, and just put the new title with the same company with strictly the data / virtual / cloud technologies I now work with?

As a manager, if you see a resume with the same company on two different blocks of experience like separated jobs, does that look stupid or desperate to put all the buzz words you can on a page? Or keep them under one company header with 20 bullet points?

In an IT professionals career path is it normal to see different sections from the same company with completely different experience / job titles?

I really want to keep the voice related experience on there, but I feel it should be separated as previous experience, rather than current and relevant experience so I don't get passed over for possible VOIP opportunities someday.

/rant

Input appreciated!

EDIT:

**Attached Screenshot of current or soon to be previous resume, my current experience is well beyond what is on there Data wise

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is how I lay it out on my resume:

Company name
    New Job Title/Duration
    Responsibilities

Previous Job Title/Duration
    Responsibilities

On Linkedin, I list them as separate jobs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    When choosing what to bump off, would it be more appropriate to list relevant jobs with time gaps, for example ditching the app support to leave my older 'network tech' duties, or would any of you say consistent work history looks better than related job titles?

I think I'll focus one clump of time doing voice, and start this as a new era of skills, I appreciate the comment sir!
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I list mine chronologically. Older experience are listed as Company/Title/Duration.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman