Options

Linkedin

binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
If currently employed, is it bad to say on my linkedin profile that I'm actively seeking new opportunities?

Comments

• Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only if you care about your current employer finding out.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question, My boss is noisy and is always looking at me about every couple/few months. I had Seeking new opportunities when he first looked but haven't changed it. I would love to change into something more detailed but afraid to.
  • Options
    binaticalbinatical Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can they fire you for that though, isn't it personal information?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nah, I'm sure your current company won't care that you don't want to stay with them icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    binatical wrote: »
    Can they fire you for that though, isn't it personal information?

Depends on the governing law where you are employed. Where I live a person can be terminated for a non-protected reason such as a social media post or mismatched socks.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They can fire you over everything unless you work for a government or state owned company where workers have more rights.
    It you are in the private sector, you don't want to give me the impression you want to leave. Besides, if your profile is good you will still get offers by recruiters. I am not looking for new opportunities, and with a bad economy, I still get on average one job offer monthly.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think there is an option under the profile to let recruiters know you're available without actually saying it in words. I could be wrong though. The idea that you can fired for something minimal speaks volumes about the culture itself.
  • Options
    Remedymp wrote: »
    The idea that you can fired for something minimal speaks volumes about the culture itself.

Is telling everyone your looking for another company to work for that minimal though? A company has to prepare and do what is best for them. And hanging to someone who is just planning to leave as soon as they possibly can doesn't sound like a smart strategy to me.
  • Options
    That's not the resources problem.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why would you want to attract a whole bunch of recruiters? Do the work of finding a new job directly instead. Always assume that if HR isn't watching, then someone else is.
  • Options
    That's not the resources problem.

huh? He is telling everyone on social media he is "actively seeking new opportunities"
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Recruiters are now trying to differentiate themselves based on their highly level of confidentiality and discretion... do you really think it is a good idea to broadcast to a place that would leak this information to your employer?
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Can a company legally fire you for seeking employment elsewhere? Not a lawyer, but most likely not. Can they fire you for some other "random/unrelated" reason? Absolutely! I worked for one of those evil companies that loved to retaliate against employees like this. Even if you didn't get fired for that random reason, they would make your life miserable in the most passive aggressive way possible. My personal policy is to never announce anywhere that I am looking. The potentially negative outcome outweighs the diminutive benefit that can come from it. Be smart and keep it to yourself.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm with Cyberguy... don't advertise more than you need. At a previous employer, management got word that I was actively seeking new employment and going through interviews. Needless to say, they found out before I wanted them to know, so I should've just kept my mouth shut. You never know who you can trust, so I would just err on the side of caution.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't do it publicly, but I would be hitting up recruiters and HR folks on the side through messaging. I have a premium account so that helps with those sorts of things. If you are military or former military linkedin premium is FREE!!
  • Options
    I think the premium account only allows this. At least from the control plane under my account that's what it looks like.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Like I tell my boss: "Don't give me a praise, give me a raise."

I never understand why managers and bosses take it to heart when you say you're seeking new opportunities. Everyone is trying to move up. Not everyone is 100% satisfied in the position they are in. To be honest, I probably will never be satisfied; but I use that mentality to keep me going. When I'm old and decrepit, I'll decide what was and was not worth it.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as others have stated, i believe premium accts have a function where you can let recruiters/firms now that you're looking, and that's only if you want that recruiter/firm to know.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yes, if your boss has a LinkedIn Premium account then s/he can see your "hidden" stuff too.

TechExams.Net has a LinkedIn group for all TE members. Join today!
  • Options
    Like I tell my boss: "Don't give me a praise, give me a raise."

I never understand why managers and bosses take it to heart when you say you're seeking new opportunities. Everyone is trying to move up. Not everyone is 100% satisfied in the position they are in. To be honest, I probably will never be satisfied; but I use that mentality to keep me going. When I'm old and decrepit, I'll decide what was and was not worth it.

I don't think they are taking it personally, but they gotta prepare and plan for you leaving. And if they found out your looking to move into another position, whether that be up or sideways, via linkedin and instead of talking to them about it first you probably gonna run into some issues.
  • Options
    I don't think they are taking it personally, but they gotta prepare and plan for you leaving. And if they found out your looking to move into another position, whether that be up or sideways, via linkedin and instead of talking to them about it first you probably gonna run into some issues.

Issues such as?icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    Issues such as?icon_confused.gif:

Reread all the posts on this thread, answers to your question can be found there. If you still can't find the answer to your question, reread them again. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Don't change that stupid section that says "Open to new opportunities", etc. or put that in your job title or summary. All you need to do is regularly update your LinkedIn with your skill set and people will contact you with offers.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241

This is why you provide a good amount of notice prior to departing. Besides that, the only reason a boss should have issues with one of his employees trying to move up in their career is if there are problems in the workplace. I have a great relationship with my boss and he knows I'm also looking for new work. I enjoy my job. I enjoy my boss. I enjoy the people I work with. But my livelihood takes precedence. I think everyone can share the same sentiment including a supervisor who too may have worked their way up.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    Definitely agree ^^ A boss should know when your looking to move up and be helpful in that process. That's where that good communication with your boss, like you have, comes extremely important. Just don't want to surprise them and have them find out your not happy in current position through a status update on LinkedIn.
  • Options
    Every place I have worked has had Quarterly goals and One on One's. If there are no One on One's taking place as well as quarterly goals being discussed, I would bolt and be unapologetic about it too. Just because they can't find a resource to fulfill that role is not the problem of the current employee.

They can go take a hike.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Don't change that stupid section that says "Open to new opportunities", etc. or put that in your job title or summary. All you need to do is regularly update your LinkedIn with your skill set and people will contact you with offers.

I thought that the "open to new opp" is a private feature where recruiters but none associated with your currently employer will know that you are actively looking for work.
  • Options
    $bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
    I think there is an option under the profile to let recruiters know you're available without actually saying it in words. I could be wrong though. The idea that you can fired for something minimal speaks volumes about the culture itself.

FYI this is accurate. LinkedIn sent an email out with a toggle that allows you to notify potential employers that you are open for a move. You do not need to verbally state this on your profile.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $bvb379 wrote: »
    FYI this is accurate. LinkedIn sent an email out with a toggle that allows you to notify potential employers that you are open for a move. You do not need to verbally state this on your profile.
    I looked for this last year, and I was having trouble finding it. Are you able to send out the toggle?

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yes, if your boss has a LinkedIn Premium account then s/he can see your "hidden" stuff too.
    TechExams.Net has a LinkedIn group for all TE members. Join today!
    For all these reasons,
    my profile doesn't list my First name.

Instead, i use my Middle-Name in it's place.
    i also don't use a photo of myself.

Hence, you can still have your profile say "looking for new opportunities"... and no one at your current job would know it's you.

Ah, so obviously....
    be smart about who you choose to "connect" with (in the first place).