Options

Windoze 7 automate software install

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here is the deal I install Windows 7 to alot of machines: After the installation I install the following software

3DP network drivers
Ninite for custom apps
WSUS windows updates

Instead of manually doing this can this process be automated? i.e create a powershell program or batch file to automate the software installation process. I am not a programmer and do not possess programming ninja skills.

But am interested in getting my hands dirty and learning more about the process.

Many Thanks Guys.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why don't you create an image with all the necessary software and then install that? Problem solved?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Yep, create the image, then use Windows Deployment Services (WDS). I believe you can include an answers file that does all the manual crap for you:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281955

• Create Client Unattend dialog to make it easy for administrators to author client unattend files.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you need to install on existing Windows, most programs have a /s or /silent install switch. Do a /? or /help to bring up help dialog if any.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Your best bet as others have mentioned is an image
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like others have said - create an image and deploy. Easiest way.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I need it to work on different hardware.... is there a way to create a universal image without drivers but has software?

• Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    use a bat/powershell/VBS script and what do you guys use to deploy applications in your environment? SCCM?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    @=ally_uk

Quite a few people have already given you options, including myself. Go do the research, its on TechNet.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ^^^ This.

@=ally_uk

You said it yourself you wanted to get your hands dirty. Do your own research with the little seeds we gave you. It's like saying you wanted to get your hands dirty on a car, working under the hood. Yet you'd expect a mechanic to do all the work for you.
  • Options
    Ladies calm down :)

Currently in our environment we are not using any server infrastructure for deployment.

We are a refurbisher and work with donated hardware so I could end up with 100 towers, laptops ( different manufacturers)

So I will research how to created a Baseline Windows 7 professional image that has been updated and has ninite apps installed.

Drivers I'm not to fussed about if I just do the above it would speed up the process.

I will just create a driver archive for manufacturer and install manually.

The thing that confuses me say if I create the initial image how do I remove driver information so it doesn't cause conflicts on a different hardware platform.

Am I right in thinking sysprep and generalize handles this aspect?

• Options
    I have been researching the last few days tools such as Waik, mdt, wds

I am going to first try and do a golden Windows 7 image

So I will install a image virtually clean install
    Install windows updates
    Install applications

Then capture this image. However I have two things which are causing confusion

First if the captured image was installed virtually say on a 20 gig virtual disk
    How do i go about rolling it out on say a 250 gig disk?

Lastly dealing with drivers how do you make a image as clean as possible so it would work on any hardware?

Thank you people :)

• Options
    Did you read up on sysprep?
  • Options
    Briefly I kinda understand that the generalize option resets a image and removes any unique hardware?

Thats the thing that is really confusing me drivers and how to handle different hardware. Also the partion size of the O/S as each laptop, pc im installing to will have different hard disk sizes.

I do appreciate the guidance all of this Windows stuff is unknown territory for myself.

• Options
    You have done enough reading. Now you need to be doing.

Why not just run sysprep, capture the image and apply it to another device with different hard disk size?
    That will answer the questions you are asking. Read and do. Get your hands dirty.
  • Options
    Thank you I will do. I switch off from practical stuff weekends ( family time)

However I will have a go this week, document my findings and report in with any quirks if I become really stuck and cannot progress.