Options

Links Within an Application

mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
Maybe someone can help point me in the right direction

There is an end of life application at my job that users access via Internet Explorer 8. As users navigate through the application, there are services they need to open that link to other departments which no longer support IE8 so we would like those links to open in Chrome.

Does anyone know of a registry hack or tool we can use to get this accomplished?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What application are you using? Perhaps there is a setting there you can change.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would talk to the boss to persuade them to upgrade to a newer application. Running in IE8 is a huge security risk.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    @scaredoftests

Its a Customer Relationship Management application from Siebel Systems (now Oracle)

@Mac_Addy

We are in the process of upgrading this application but it will take a very long time so until then we need to patch as needed
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting problem.. I think it's doable - I assume that the legacy app is a web-app. Do you guys have access to the source-code? You could add Javascript and use the shell api to open the link. Something using Shell.openExternal(). You would to make sure that Chrome is the default browser.
  • Options
    @Paul78

That is correct; this app is a web-application. I am not sure if we have access to the source code because this is outside my department but I will ask. If we do, I can suggest implementing javascript, but I cannot configure chrome as the default browser on these systems since most of its functions work on IE8 due to SLA politics.

Any other suggestions would be great guys
    Thanks
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hmm - your other option is to make sure that that the default system browser is chrome. It's possible that if the legacy app doesn't implement the link with an <a> href it could work. But if the app implements the link as a <a href> attribute - you make not have too many options.